Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Long Term Customer Likely Leaving 48 hour no Service for much of Tennesse and Georgia
JD1950

We have been with Verizon for at least a couple of decades. We have always had several lines. This is the first time we are truly considering finding another service provider. 

On Christmas 2020 we wanted to do the right thing a social distance. We made plans to do a group call in the afternoon to at least hear the voices of the family we would normally be with had it not been for CoVid. You would think this is a time for Verizon to shine.

Unfortunately, Verizon has failed horrifically. We lost Cell Service along with almost the entire State of Tennessee and much of Georgia.

We decided, that since we had no cell service, we could just use the Wi-Fi Calling Feature family members. But, though we had used this feature before, it would not work on any of our many lines.

I spent well over 2.5 hours on XMas speaking with several Customer Service/Tech Agents via chat, online. We never made any headway at all. I finally had to give up and spend time with the few family members quarantining with me. 

On December 26th, I was determined to get this fixed so we could talk to all our loved ones and explain why we could not get in touch with them on XMas and apologize.

I spent just shy of 4.5 hours with at least 4 different agents trying to get the Wifi Calling feature back on the account.

I explained to each and every single agent I spoke to that we were wanting to use the WiFi Calling feature because we were being effected by the very large Cell Service Outage in Middle Tennessee.

I complied with all that the agents asked me over the course of the 4.5 hours on the 26th, just as I had done for over 2.5 hours on Christmas Day. I even completely reset our cell phones, at the agent’s instruction losing all of our personal settings and some BRAND NEW XMAS PHOTOS and Videos.

After no luck, I was passed to yet another Tech Support Agent. Her name was Susan. Within 5 mins she diagnosed the issue. She said, that it could be that the WiFi Calling Feature was not enabled on the account at the time of the Cell Service Outage. As such, that feature could not be enabled until Cell Service was re-established. 

I told each and every one of the 6 or 7 Customer Service/Tech Agents I spoke with over those two days and almost 7 hours that we were in Middle Tennessee and dealing with that extremely large Cell Service Outage and that is why we needed to use the wifi calling feature that we had used in the past.

This is at the point I became upset. Susan was probably correct. For whatever reason WiFi Calling was not enabled prior to the Outage and as such could not be enabled until service was restored.

So my questions for you are:

1) Why did the up to 5 or 6 other agents I spoke with not understand what she saw in less than 5 minutes?

Had the first agent I spoke with understood that to be the issue then I would not have lost 7 hours of my life, time with my family on Xmas and BRAND NEW PHOTOS AND VIDEOS OF CHRISTMAS that was very special as we wanted to share those with family we could not be with due to CoVid.

2) Why is Wifi Calling setting not Enabled as the default?

Its free. There seems to be no downside to the customer. Perhaps because it would cause Verizon to lose out on charging data fees to customers who do not have unlimited data and are aware of the free Wi-Fi Calling feature must be enable before you are ever in a position to need it.

3) What was that 7 hours over 2 days, the loss of Christmas Photos and Videos, time away from the family I could have been around if not needlessly sitting at a computer talking to your Agents to fix a problem they should have immediately known could not be fixed until service was restored?

This is not a rhetorical question. 

I ask because the Supervisor I spoke with said all he thought I was entitled to was the actual time the Cell Service was down. If that is the position of Verizon, then let me know. I will be happy to find another service provider.

When we needed Verizon to come through in hard times you only made things worse... much worse.

0 Likes
Re: Long Term Customer Likely Leaving 48 hour no Service for much of Tennesse and Georgia
Ann154
Expert
Expert

The explosion in front of the AT&T building in Nashville on Christmas morning might have damaged the fiber optic infrastructure that supports the cellular network throughout Tennessee. Until the infrastructure has been rerouted and repaired there could be capacity issues. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes