Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Looks like it's time to leave Verizon - Won't activate my replacement phone
ShadowRider

I have had a Nokia Lumia Icon (929) on Verizon for years.  It's finally dying and I want to replace it with the same thing.  Verizon won't do it.  Want to sell me a new phone.  

Point 1:  If I currently have a phone on Verizon why can't they activate another of the same model?

Point 2: Why would I want to purchase a new phone on Verizon when I can get a better deal on a phone and service by switching?

Every time I have an issue with Verizon they give me more reasons to switch.  Now, it looks like a final reason.  They do a better job of recruiting new customers than they do keeping the ones who have been with them for years.

0 Likes
Re: Looks like it's time to leave Verizon - Won't activate my replacement phone
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The reason why the Lumia Icon can't be activated anymore is because that phone model isn't capable of VoLTE calls. As Verizon Wireless is switching its CDMA 1xRTT network to the LTE network. All new phones need to be capable of VoLTE calls in order to be activated. 

It might be possible to activate a replacement phone, but there's no guarantee it will work. The only possible way is to insert your existing active SIM card into the replacement Lumia Icon phone. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ShadowRider

I have inserted the SIM card into the "new" phone. It is not recognized on the system because the MEID is different.

I don't care what technology terms are thrown out. The truth is that VZW will not active an identical phone is because they don't want to. They want to sell another phone. I don't want to upgrade now. I wan't wait until 5G is actually available and then upgrade to a late model phone.... Or just move and get a better deal on a 4G or 5G phone and service plan for a couple of years.

I'm not hearing a good reason to stay.

0 Likes
Tigerstep

That phone came out early 2014. Other phones that are no longer able to be activated around the same age include the iPhone 5S.

These phones were supposed to lose support last December. Verizon won't do new activations for these older phones because support would officially drop end of this year forcing new purchases anyway.

You're welcome to pop in your old sim card to activate yourself, no guarantee it will still work Jan 2021.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We only want you to have a positive wireless experience ShadowRider. We want to assist and take a closer look at options. I am confident we can resolve this. Please authenticate. 

0 Likes
GoodByeVZW

Same exact situation here. Just got a new Nokia Lumia Icon and unable to activate.  How can this be activated?  I'm afraid I'll have to say Good Bye Verizon if I can't get this phone activated.

0 Likes
GoodByeVZW

test

0 Likes
GoodByeVZW

I was able to activate my Windows Phone, which is a Nokia Lumia Icon. I'm on a pre-paid plan. It would not activate automatically. It would not activate on the VZW website.   I had the exact same model phone previously, but the screen broke. I bought a cheap Android phone to use temporarily while waiting for the replacement phone to arrive. 

Anyway, I Here's how I got it working:

First, remove the sim from old windows phone and insert into new windows phone.

1. Call *611

2. Say "Activation" when prompted for the "reason for your call"

3. Select option 2, to "Select change to 4g"

4. Next, Select option 2, for existing wireless phone to do a device change.

5. Enter 4 digit security code

6. select option 1, to activate a new sim card on your existing phone

7. Follow prompts to enter data about your sim card.

8. Your phone should now be activated

Number 6 is critical to select option 1.  If selecting option 2 it just gives you some out-of-date info.

0 Likes