Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lost trade in credit after transferred line
burl25

Hello,

Device was on family account and then transferred by parents to its own personal account.

Device was on parent account when upgraded. Device traded in to Verizon, credit for trade in issued to parent account. 

Upgraded device was transferred to its own account 3 months later -- credit for trade in of device is no longer on parent account or new personal account.

Support has informed me the only way to *potentially* recoup the trade in credit is to transfer the device back to the parent account and then *maybe* Verizon can reinstate the credit.

This means that nearly $700 in credits are not being paid, and have essentially vanished. This is totally unacceptable -- this was a phone that was completely paid for. It DID NOT have to be traded to Verizon, it could have been sold anywhere for a lump sum.

Please advise if there is any way to recoup this trade in credit -- why does assuming billing responsibilities remove trade in credits for a phone that was fully paid for and owned! This is grounds for service cancellation.

0 Likes
Re: Lost trade in credit after transferred line
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Burl25, thank you so much for reaching out to us today. We want to make sure that you have the details that you need. When you transfer a line of service from one account into someone else's name, that trade-in promotion credit will not transfer over. This can be found on the Transfer of Service site https://www.verizon.com/support/transfer-your-service/ under Billing and Payments.   -Kevin

0 Likes
Jwal596

I’m having the same issue. Very frustrating. The phone I traded in should be valued to the phone number not just account. I am trying to switch to my family’s plan and the trade in credit isn’t transferable. I would still be a Verizon customer and they would still be gouging my wallet, why do this to paying customers?? Definitely feels like you don’t care if we switch to another carrier, 👋

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello Jwal596,

You are an important part of our family. The last thing we want is to see you go. When you sign up for a promotion, the promotion is for that line on that account. The promotion lasts until the device agreement ends. Switching that line to a different account will cancel the promotion and in some cases, the device payment agreement as well. There is no way to transfer a promotion to another account. The promotion eligiblity is determined on the account it was purchased from. 

-Christopher

0 Likes