Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Minimum term service contract fee question from school account
KooA132

Hello, 

I bought a new iPhone last year with a student discount that my school provided, with a 2-year contract with Verizon. I paid money with a debit card for the full amount, with a discount applied. 

Last month, I left my school since I'm transferring to another school. The school phone service team said I need to change my school account to the individual since I am leaving the school. They said I still have 17 month contract, so if I don't want to pay ETF, I need to change to an individual account and continue the contract. No special notice, they said just that. Never knew about the additional $20 fee til 17 mo contract ends, since they didn't tell me. 

They submitted the form with my sign to change my account to individual. 

Now I'm getting a $20 fee and the agent that I chatted with said it will be continued until my phone is 'paid off''. 

Then what was the purchase I made a year ago? I got a discount because I signed up to use the VZN for two years, so I thought the discount applied unless I change to another carrier since I didn't hear anything from anyone and they required me to change to the individual. 

Should I contact the school center first to resolve this situation?

0 Likes
Re: Minimum term service contract fee question from school account
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

@KooA132 ,

It's great to hear that you were able to get a discounted phone through your school's service with us. As for your concern about the $20 fee you had mentioned, that is an accurate charge because your phone was purchased under a contract agreement. This is a common occurrence when changing from a business account to a personal/consumer account as some business accounts still use contract pricing. Years ago when we had contract and device payment options, device payments received a discounted line fee based on the data plan they were using, while contract upgrades were at the normal line access price. After removing contract options from consumer accounts, since device payments were much cheaper, offered more benefits, and allowed for a lower-priced data plan, that line fee disappeared since contracts were no longer around. You were on a business account that used contract pricing, so that same pricing follows along with it. Once your contract agreement has been met, that fee will end.

-Russell

0 Likes
KooA132

Since I’m moving to another school, if they have school discount (or business accounts) is it able to change back to their business account and terminate that fee? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

When a new phone is purchased using a promotional discount, that discount only applies to the account the phone was purchased on. Once that line is changed to a different account, the promotional discount is removed. It cannot be added back if switched back to the original account. 

-Christopher

0 Likes