Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Misleading Terrible Customer Service
Budlove83

My family and I have been Verizon customers for a long time.  I am extremely frustrated with how I was treated by your customer service.  In April I traveled to the Bahamas.  I called into Verizon customer service and let them know I was traveling.  I was able to talk to someone who explained how it worked and the costs associated with using my phone and data service while traveling there.  The trip went well, as did my phone bill.  Less than 2 months later, I traveled to the Bahamas again.  Once again I called in and spoke to customer service to apply the same coverage for phone and data that I had the first trip. However, when I got my bill the next month, it was astronomical.  I immediately called in to speak to customer service.

It took getting passed around a couple times to be able to speak with someone that could help.  After a lengthily conversation, I was told that my information was getting passed along to a manager and that they would “pull the call I had with the Agent when I called in to change my plan while in the Bahamas”.  I was told once they listened to the call they would contact me and that it may take a few weeks or so.  I was also told to only pay the normal bill and not the extra amount from my trip.  About a month went by and I didn’t hear anything.  So, I called in again.  I explained the issue and that I was waiting for the call to get pulled and reviewed by a manager.  I was told “yes Mr. Martin I can see that you are disputing the charge and they will contact you by the end of the week, sorry for the delay”.  Another week or 2 went by.

I was traveling one weekend and found it odd when I woke up Saturday morning that I hadn’t received any emails, calls, or texts.  I tried to make a call and it went right to Verizon.  At that point the account was shut down.  So there I was out of town with no phone, my brother now has no phone, and my mother now has no phone.  After I got passed around again, I finally got to someone who could help.  I was told that there is no ability for Verizon to pull a call, and that my bill was justified.  I explained to her that I had traveled to the Bahamas 2 months before, why would I not want the same package when I called in again?  She said that it didn’t matter and there was nothing she could do other then deduct a couple hundred dollars off of the $1,100.  I asked for a manager and she said she was the manager and that my only recourse was to file a claim online. 

To say I am disappointed is an understatement.  I was specifically told by your agents that the call was getting pulled for review, not once, but 2 times on 2 different calls.  I was also told not to pay the amount until it was looked into.  My reward for that was having phone service shut off.  There was no reason for my bill to be that high when I specifically called in to notify you of my travel plans, on top of just doing the same thing less than 2 months before.  I was told to file a complaint online, so hear it is.  Let’s see if anyone gives enough of a dam to actually fix this.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Misleading Terrible Customer Service
sprmankalel
Leader

This is a peer to peer forum and although a representative responded to your post, you'd be hard pressed to get a speedy resolution.

In hindsight, I would ALWAYS suggest paying what is due even if you are going to dispute it. I know that you were told not to but there is no way to make that non-payment as a dispute and the billing system thinks that you have a past due balance and suspension will occur. It is way easier to pay the balance to avoid this and then send a letter to dispute charges.

From our Customer Agreement Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

HOW AND WHEN CAN I DISPUTE CHARGES?

If you're a Postpay customer, you can dispute your bill within 180 days of receiving it, but unless otherwise provided by law or unless you're disputing charges because your wireless device was lost or stolen, you still have to pay all charges until the dispute is resolved. If you're a Prepaid customer, you can dispute a charge within 180 days of the date the disputed charge was incurred. YOU MAY CALL US TO DISPUTE CHARGES ON YOUR BILL OR ANY SERVICE(S) FOR WHICH YOU WERE BILLED, BUT IF YOU WISH TO PRESERVE YOUR RIGHT TO BRING AN ARBITRATION OR SMALL CLAIMS CASE REGARDING SUCH DISPUTE, YOU MUST WRITE TO US AT THE CUSTOMER SERVICE ADDRESS ON YOUR BILL, OR SEND US A COMPLETED NOTICE OF DISPUTE FORM (AVAILABLE AT VERIZONWIRELESS.COM), WITHIN THE 180–DAY PERIOD MENTIONED ABOVE. IF YOU DO NOT NOTIFY US IN WRITING OF SUCH DISPUTE WITHIN THE 180–DAY PERIOD, YOU WILL HAVE WAIVED YOUR RIGHT TO DISPUTE THE BILL OR SUCH SERVICE(S) AND TO BRING AN ARBITRATION OR SMALL CLAIMS CASE REGARDING ANY SUCH DISPUTE.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/Notice_of_Dispute.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hi there Budlove83,

I want to start by addressing, and thanking you and your family for your loyalty to us. We do greatly appreciate it. I also want to say that I truly regret to hear that you have had such a negative experience, as we do aim to provide the absolute best in customer service through all of our interactions.
    I understand, getting a large bill would be quite alarming to me as well, and I would love to take a look at the account with you to see what happened and why you had been charged. In order for me to do this, I am going to send you a private message. Please respond to me there, and we will be able to work together to get this accomplished.

LeoL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Leader

This is a peer to peer forum and although a representative responded to your post, you'd be hard pressed to get a speedy resolution.

In hindsight, I would ALWAYS suggest paying what is due even if you are going to dispute it. I know that you were told not to but there is no way to make that non-payment as a dispute and the billing system thinks that you have a past due balance and suspension will occur. It is way easier to pay the balance to avoid this and then send a letter to dispute charges.

From our Customer Agreement Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

HOW AND WHEN CAN I DISPUTE CHARGES?

If you're a Postpay customer, you can dispute your bill within 180 days of receiving it, but unless otherwise provided by law or unless you're disputing charges because your wireless device was lost or stolen, you still have to pay all charges until the dispute is resolved. If you're a Prepaid customer, you can dispute a charge within 180 days of the date the disputed charge was incurred. YOU MAY CALL US TO DISPUTE CHARGES ON YOUR BILL OR ANY SERVICE(S) FOR WHICH YOU WERE BILLED, BUT IF YOU WISH TO PRESERVE YOUR RIGHT TO BRING AN ARBITRATION OR SMALL CLAIMS CASE REGARDING SUCH DISPUTE, YOU MUST WRITE TO US AT THE CUSTOMER SERVICE ADDRESS ON YOUR BILL, OR SEND US A COMPLETED NOTICE OF DISPUTE FORM (AVAILABLE AT VERIZONWIRELESS.COM), WITHIN THE 180–DAY PERIOD MENTIONED ABOVE. IF YOU DO NOT NOTIFY US IN WRITING OF SUCH DISPUTE WITHIN THE 180–DAY PERIOD, YOU WILL HAVE WAIVED YOUR RIGHT TO DISPUTE THE BILL OR SUCH SERVICE(S) AND TO BRING AN ARBITRATION OR SMALL CLAIMS CASE REGARDING ANY SUCH DISPUTE.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/Notice_of_Dispute.pdf

0 Likes
Soccermom1018

I TOO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH VERIZON:

On  December 21st  I went into the 1301 Bristol Pike in Bensalem, Pa.   I was greeted at the door  by Noah the sales associate.  I explained that my husbands phone was not working and asked if there was an upgrade.   He pulled up my account and then told the manager he wanted to talk to him right in front of me.   Noah then said to the manager no "Over there," meaning not in front of me.   He then came back and started to talk to me about my account and asked me if I was interested in buying a speaker, hotspot, or a tablet.  He tried to entice me by saying how I could access service from anywhere.   I told him I do not need anything and that I have been a loyal customer for many years and I also subscribe to your internet, phone and cable service for my house as well and is there anything they can do to help me get  my husbands phone replaced or repaired.  He walked away again and went over to the manager to speak again in private.  He then told me that I had an old plan and I would need to update it which would give me less data and minutes then I currently have but I would save $20.   I listened then he said you need to buy an accessory or I cant give you anything which obviously would cost me more.   At that point I told him I don't need anything and I walked out because I knew they were trying to take advantage of me.   It was very clear that both Noah and the resolution Manager were taking advantage of the fact that I was a WOMAN and tried to pull a scam just to get me to buy more instead of clearly saying unfortunately we cant help you.  I went home and told my husband what had happen and he went around to speak to the manager and associate about how they harassed me because I was a woman and tried to take advantage of me.  Whether it was to meet a personal quota for the store or themselves it was very slimy and unprofessional to do to someone who has been a loyal customer for many years.   The resolution manager ADAM was very rude to us when my husband asked to speak to a manager because of what they tried to do to me.   I know he was rude because he was guilty and knew  what he did was wrong. He was telling my husband to leave the store screaming as loud as he could to make a scene in front of the customers and trying to act like he was some sort of tough guy in control.    It was very strange.  He started to YELL are you threatening me when my husband did not say anything of the sort.  It was as if he was taunting him and trying to make those around believe something that was not actually happening.   My husband had words back and ADAM continued to shout extremely loud in front of everyone in order to escalate the situation.     I told the manager I will be filing a complaint and then we left the store when we realized that ADAM was very out of line and an unprofessional representative of verizon.   We had several people make comments about how the customer service in that store has changed as they walked out with us.   We have always had very professional and trustworthy experience at this store until NOW.  This is the first time in the past year I have ever seen or met this Manager Adam and the Sales associate Noah.   I can guarantee they have not been employed long as I often frequent this location having 4 lines with verizon.  Both my husband and I have been with verizon since purchasing our first cell phone in 1998 and since then have added additional services and lines.  

Today I come home to a letter from Verizon Wireless Executive Relations regarding the incident and read the lies that this Resolution Manager ADAM  stated and now I am no long allowed in any stores because of his lies and unprofessionalism.  It also states that we will have our services terminated if we visit any store.   Is this how you conduct your business with loyal customers who have been with Verizon for many many years? I am shocked that you would not even take in consideration all sides of the situation.  I have never once had such a disrespectful encounter at any store  nor have had any Verizon associate try to pull a scam on me.   Instead of sending letters to loyal customers who value your service you should be investigating what type of management ADAM is displaying and lies he telling his associates to tell customers who enter the store.  Overall,  I feel this situation only occurred because they tried to HARASS me into something because I was a Woman.   He only pursued this because he did not want the truth about  what him and his associate  are doing to customers.   I hope that you investigate this situation further and take the necessary actions against ADAM to avoid him doing this to other loyal customers.  

sprmankalel
Leader

Sorry to hear that you had an experience like that. I have never heard of Verizon banning someone from a store and threatening to cancel their service if they go to any other store.

I also do not think that they were trying to take advantage of you based on the fact that you are a woman. So I will not even entertain that thought in my response.

Now, did you check your upgrade eligibility online prior to visiting a store? You should know how to do that and when you know your eligibility you have more power to say that you're only there to buy what you want and that is all. I am not saying that the associate was correct in asking you if you would like some other service or accessory prior to telling you what could be done. The fact of the matter is that they are in sales. They are not customer service. There job is to sell you stuff. So they make it sound like they are doing you a favor by upgrading you if you buy such and such extra thing. They make their money by filling their quota. The rep fills his quota which in turn fills the store's quota so you have it absolutely right. I fear that instead of hearing fully what was being presented to you, you just declined and didn't try to work them. This is also why I ask if you knew your eligibility. You MUST arm yourself with all of the knowledge you can BEFORE going to the store. Otherwise, you will be taken advantage and for the simple fact that you knew nothing prior to walking in.

0 Likes
Soccermom1018

YES I DID KNOW WHAT I WAS ELIGIBLE FOR THIS IS WHY I KNEW HE WAS TRYING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME. 

pherson
Leader

It's only in very very extreme cases that someone is prohibited from calling customer service and or visiting a store. It's not just done matter of factly. So there is something we don't know, or its not truthful. Hate to say it but it's true.

sprmankalel
Leader

I would imagine that the all caps response to my post is an indication of a reason why they are banned from stores.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Leader

Soccermom1018 wrote:

YES I DID KNOW WHAT I WAS ELIGIBLE FOR THIS IS WHY I KNEW HE WAS TRYING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME.

You do realize that all caps is inappropriate for an online forum. It may even be against TOS. Is this why you were banned from going to a store?

Soccermom1018

The all caps means nothing. It was on from me typing password codes and I never turned it off. I am far from a confrontational person and I don't read into anything like caps meaning anything. Sorry if that caused a missing understanding. As far as the letter I received it was all based on the lies and the show the manager put on to make a scene and act like he had power. Like I said it was very very strange!!!! I seriously think he was intimidated by my husbands appearance and caused his strange scene out of fear! Bottom line is the manager Adam was completely out of line and unprofessional. He only did all this because I told him I filed a complaint withVerizon because they were scamming me. That is when he suddenly made a scene.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes