Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Misrepresentation by Verizon Wireless
Ninobona58

I have been a customer of Verizon Wireless for 27 years.  On February 2, 2021 my daughter reached out to Verizon Wireless to be removed from my  account.  A Verizon Wireless representative contacted me and I consented.  While speaking with him I asked about getting a new phone, in particular the 12 mini and at the same time reducing my service.  I was advised that we could go to 2 gig of data and I was eligible for a new I phone 12 mini for what would net to a $5.00 per month charge for 24 months ($29.16 - $24.16) He advised me that I had a credit available of $579.84 that would be applied monthly for 24 months at $24.16 per month against the purchase of the new phone to net the cost to $5.00 per month.  I agreed to this and paid the necessary phone transfer charges or whatever it is they tack on.

When I reviewed my bill for March the credit for $24.16 was not included.  On March 18, I spoke with a Verizon Wireless representative who was very apologetic and was able to add the credit to my account to reduce my March bill.  He indicated I would receive two months of credit in April to make up for my inconvenience.

I reviewed the April invoice today and there was no credit included.  I called Verizon Wireless and spoke to a gentlemen who indicated that I had been misinformed  and that deal was only available if I traded in my old phone and agreed to unlimited service.  I indicated that this was not mentioned in my conversation back in February.  I asked to speak to a manager, he put me on hold for ten minutes and the call was then disconnected.  I did receive a text message offering a $40.00 credit.  I called back and spoke to another rep - Carlos, who offered to review my account,   put me on hold and then was disconnected.  He was polite enough to call back ten minutes later and tell me there was nothing they could do.

Does anyone have any advice on whom I should contact for this? I have written to the BBB and my attorney is willing to take them to small claims court.  It's very deceptive way to do business and it makes me wonder how many elderly people they are preying on.  If this is how they treat a long-term customer be extremely cautious if you are considering doing business with them.

0 Likes
Re: Misrepresentation by Verizon Wireless
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Ninobona58, this certainly isn't what we would want for any customer, let alone someone as loyal as you. I'm sorry to here of the misinformation in regard to the promotion. I would like to work with your towards a solution. Has there been any update since you have posted this?

0 Likes
Verizon7734

I too purchased a new phone based upon a trade-in promotion which Verizon later refused to honor. I have wasted hours on the phone trying to get the issue resolved and each time I am told there will be follow-up but nothing is done. Multiple times I have been on hold for over an hour just to be disconnected. It is extremely frustrating because once the purchase is made and the trade-in sent to them there is no recourse for holding them accountable to their original agreement. This is similar to the Wells Fargo scam where their management condoned the deceitful practices and misrepresentation committed by their representatives. Hopefully, if enough of us file complaints and communicate to our colleagues, families, and friends about Verizon's practices, there will be similar government and/or legal intervention.  As I have seen suggested on this forum, I will be contacting FTC, FCC, and BBB. 

0 Likes
Ninobona58

There is no update.  After spending 1.25 hours on the phone with your "customer service" and being hung up on twice.  I have not had the time or patience to deal with your colleagues.  How can you assist me?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello, Verizon7734. It does worry me to hear you've had issues with a trade in, and they have yet to be corrected after multiple contacts. It is our goal to help, and I've sent a Private Note to better assist. DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
Ninobona58

Where is the private note you are referring to ?

0 Likes
erinb245

I, too, am having a similar problem.  I was offered $500+ for a trade in device before I started a new account with Verizon.  Now that the account has been created and I am stuck in a contract, Verizon says they can only offer $114 for the same phone.  Each time I speak to a rep, I get a different story as to why this is happening.  This is very deceptive and a tactic to lure customers into a contract.  I will also be contacting the BBB, FFC, and FTC as well as telling anyone who will listen to avoid Verizon if at all possible.  

0 Likes
Ninobona58

Its really awful  that they keep sending me emails asking if this has been resolved and won't do anything to correct their fraud.   They plainly refuse to acknowledge it.  I have been made aware that they maintain recordings of phone conversations.  They should listen to the conversation from the original date, discipline that employee for fraud and correct their error.

Makes one wonder how many elderly people they have preyed on with a similar scam 

Terrible, just terrible

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We apologize for your inconvenience and we truly value your time. As our valued customer, your account concerns are our concerns and we’re here to assist you in any way we can. Verizon takes protecting our customer’s personal and account information very seriously. Since we will need account-specific details from you, we’ve sent you a new Private Message on this topic:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/inbox

RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
morisky
Novice

I think it is EXACTLY what Verizon wants to happen and you know it. Same as "free" iPhone that you charge me for. Verizon knows exactly the kind of scam they are working.

0 Likes