Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moved from ATT to Verizon and Verizon Ruined my Credit
Rossen

After over 20 years, I transferred my ATT wireless service to Verizon and Verizon RUINED my credit in the process.

I am absolutely irate with Verizon Communications Inc. After several phone calls a Verizon customer service representative confirmed to me that my credit will be damaged for 7 years because a misunderstanding / miscommunication but i believe a Verizon error. But just like any large company, one hand does not know what happens all the time at the corner Verizon store.

So please let me explain, when I moved to my current apartment the quality of reception from ATT was horrendous (no reception in apartment) so I decided to get a cheap flip phone with a month to month service to test Verizon. The 4g phone service from Verizon was substantially better that the 5g from ATT. So I decided to migrate my main iPhone number with 5g service from ATT to Verizon and close the flip-phone account Number:.

At the Verizon Store on 2657 Broadway, New York, NY 10025. We closed the FLIP phone account with an understanding that the final balance would be transferred to the new account number:. That the new account would be on Autopay which was done. That my tel number would be transferred from ATT to Verizon so I could keep using the number and my ATT iPhone.

Apparently due to a misunderstanding and miscommunication with the sales representative who happens to manage the store, the balance transfer was not done and neither was it paid. And even though payments to Verizon were being made timely, the closed account balance went to collection. Only when was I was notified by my Credit Reporting agency that Verizon had taken this hostile action, that my credit rating had dropped over 123 points over $85 late payment, that I was aware a balance was still owed on the closed account. 

I will not stop until Verizon removes the erroneous late payment derogatory mark from my credit report. I never pay late. I DO NOT PAY LATE, if I receive a bill, it is paid. I have been spending 40 years building my credit. All my accounts are on Autopay to avoid any errors. Verizon will not ruin it over a FlipPhone. Since I was unaware that this money was owed because your customer representative at this Verizon Store implied that everything was taken care of when I opened the new account and closed one. 

NOTE, Verizon never pulled my credit report for this closed account neither did it report this account to any credit agency as opened.

FURTHER, the Device Payment Agreement: INSTALLMENT LOAN AGREEMENT/SECURITY AGREEMENT when I signed up mentions nothing about Credit Agency reporting. It only mentions “Payments received 15 or more days after Your due date may incur a late payment fee of up to 5% or $5, whichever is less”

Why was no Notice Sent

My Flip-phone account had no paper billing and the last bill was online was on Dec14. I see no final last bill online, and I see no Notice that an Adverse Action will be taken against me. The online portal distinctly says “You final bill will also be mailed” when ones account is discontinued. There is no final bill with no Adverse Action Notice online? Further, no Adverse Action Notice was received at my residence. Verizon did not send me any Adverse Action Notices by mail, by email or by text.

Verizon is so quick to send someone to collection and ruin their credit, your company does not even allow for mail delays or the chance that the payment got lost . Or any benefit or a second notice that payment is due out of curiosity especially since I am transferring my  business from a competitor of yours.

How does it make sense that Verizon flagged my account for collections on Feb 9 with a late payment to the Credit Agencies, yet I am continuing to make payments to Verizon Communications Inc during this same period months of Dec, Jan, Feb, March and then Verizon reports to the Credit Agencies that I have a new account. While YOUR COMPANY is making profit from me you are taking hostile actions against me. See images bellow.

paymentsmadetoverizoninnovdecjan.jpg

verizon2.jpgverizon.jpg

At the same time Verizon is reporting me as derogatory and ruing my credit, Verizon Communication Inc is contacting me by mail and email soliciting me with promotional marketing letters and offering me upgrades

I will remain a loyal Verizon customer for the time being hoping the company does the right thing and removes this late payment from my report and my credit ratings restored, and we can enjoy a long relationship. Verizon's harsh tactics will cost me substantially and does not reflect the true facts about what happened between myself and your company, the true nature of my finances as I can prove I had more than the ability to pay the 85$ and the truth about my credit worthiness.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Moved from ATT to Verizon and Verizon Ruined my Credit
Rossen

I am very pleased to say that Verizon must have looked into the matter and made a correction because today my Credit has been restored.

I look forward to a long relationship with Verizon. Thank you

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Rossen, we are truly sorry to hear about your overall experience. Making sure you receive accurate information is always important. We do not transfer balances from one account to another. We would recommend that you contact our Recovery Operations Credit Bureau Disputes Team by dialing 800-852-1922 Mon-Fri7:00AM - 7:00 PM CT to further dispute this matter. 

-Sylvia

0 Likes
Rossen

I have contacted your Recovery Department Bureau several times, one was rude , they told me this says on my report for 7 years. Explaining this confusion on the phone with a representee is impossible.  I asked to for a call with someone in management. No one has called me. Explaining this confusion on the phone is complicated. 

Please explain why there is no Adverse Action Notice online?

Thank you for your time.

0 Likes
acraftylady2

What did the store say when yo asked them why they lied about the balance transferr?

Rossen

I dont think they lied, there was no reason too, there was a lot going on transferring phone numbers and closing accounts, and opening new ones, he expressed himself incorrectly and there was a misunderstanding. 

When i confronted him, he said they could have migrated accounts. I asked him why it was not done and he had no answer.

0 Likes
acraftylady2

But verizon doesn't do balance transfers from one account to another and you said they told you the balance would be transferred so to me they lied or were they making an exception to the rule?  I would go back to the store and ask why this happened.

0 Likes
Rossen

I have several times, it becomes you said I said. I was also advised by this Store Manager that since one has paid this late fee and the penalties, in 3 months this late payment will be removed. 

I cannot take that to be fact.

But the fact remains no final bill, no Notice of Adverse action by mail or online was sent to me. So seemed paid.

Cancel my new account and go back to ATT.. they would not treat me like this or no one else for that matter. This hostile action against a new customer by Verizon on a misunderstanding is Repulsive business practice..

0 Likes
Rossen

In any case at this point the agent store DBA Wireless One NYC 2657 Broadway cannot do anything in this matter.  Only someone at Verizon Communications can rectify this issue.

0 Likes
acraftylady2

Thankful to have a corporate store up the street if I need one.  The authorized retailers tend to lie from what I see on these forums.  Have bought my phones from best buy the last several years and no issues.  People should make sure to always use a corporate store if they need an actual verizon store.  You can check on the verizon website to make sure the location is.  Even if you have to drive farther so worth it.  

Rossen

I feel like i got lied to. I cannot stand to look at this Verizon on the corner anymore.. This agent store sent me to a corporate store at 2239 Broadway, New York, NY 10024 for help regarding what they did to me. At the corporate store they said i hade to call Recovery.

There is BBB and other avenues i will continue to complain to all regulatory bodies about this.

0 Likes