Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Moving to Verizon ruined my credit
Mandyli

5 months ago, I transferred my wireless service to Verizon, and Verizon RUINED my credit in the process. 

I was unknowingly billed for $107 for a temporary phone number that was never used when I signed up with Verizon,  and the bill was never sent to me, then Verizon sent it to debt collection.  I was only informed of this bill when I received the collection bill from a debt collection company 2 months later.  I immediately contacted the Verizon billing department and the Verizon representative admitted the billing mistake and I was assured that Verizon is crediting back $107 to the account and clear that debt and everything will be taken care of.  Then 3 months later, today to my dismay I was told by my loan officer that my credit score dropped by nearly 100 for that $107 debt on my credit report and it is still open!  And my credit will be damaged for 7 years because of this Verizon billing error.  Worst of all, I am buying a new home and this damaged credit is going to cost me tens of thousands of dollars in increased interest.

I am really frustrated and irate with Verizon Wireless.  Today I spent more than 7 hours on the phone with Verizon customer service, and I was kicked back and forth between different departments and no one could really help me correct this error.

Below I document chronically what happened to me. I had all the documents and chat history with Verizon service to support the facts I am writing down.

3/31/2022,  I contact Verizon online chat to request transfer 3 lines to Verizon.  Verizon agent requested transfer for two of the lines, and for the third line, she was not able to do it at the time due to some technical issue, so she created a temporary phone number for that line. And that temporary number is a different account and order SIM cards for the three lines to ship to my address. She assured me that a line will only be activated after the SIM card is inserted into a device.

4/4/2022,  I received three SIM cards, and inserted a SIM card into my phone and activated the first line, and the phone number was successfully transferred to Verizon. And a few days later, I activated the second line.  Then I was able to add my third line to my Verizon online account myself on the Verizon website and got a separate SIM and now all my 3 lines were transferred to Verizon.  The SIM for the temporary number was never inserted into any device, and I chatted with Verizon customer service and asked what should I do, and was told I can just ignore it.

For the 3 lines transferred to Verizon, I had automatic payment and the bill was always paid off on time.  In my life, I always pay off my bill on time and never ever let any bills be late.

5/28/2022, I received a collection bill from Convergent, a debt collection company, stating that I owe Verizon $107 for a wireless account.   I did not recognize that account, and I already paid off my Verizon monthly bill a few days ago.  So I immediately contacted Verizon customer service to find out why.   Then it was revealed that that $107 bill was generated from that temporary number, which was activated without my knowing, and then the temporary line was disconnected after a month because of no usage.  This temporary number was on a separate account, and I never received any bill from that account.  It was so absurd to me, and I asked the Verizon agent to correct it.  The Verizon agent told me "I will be putting a memo on your account regarding the temporary Number which is already disconnected so we can correct that bill and remove it from the collection. rest assured it will be resolved within 7- 10 days ."  And he gave me the number of the financial service team 866-266-1445 and to check back.

I sent an email to Convergent and dispute the debt, and included the chat history with Verizon.

6/6/2022, I called Verizon financial service department and explained the billing error.  The agent told me that he is removing the charges and the balance of the account should now be $0.  He left his name Michael and his ID number for me as a reference.  At that time, I thought the issue was resolved and the error was corrected.

8/22/2022 (today),  I was told by my loan officer that on my credit report this is a Verizon wireless debt of $107 that is in the collection and is still open.  Then I called Verizon wireless customer service.  The customer service agent read the memo written down by Michael and the other agent, and told me that the credit back request two months ago was not successful and an error was returned.  I asked her to help resolve this, and she asked for and got approval from her supervisor to credit $107 back to the account, and she said it would be done the same day.  Then I asked her to help to clear the item on my credit report.  She said she is with the billing department, so she will transfer me to the financial service department so I may be helped. 

Then my nightmare started, I called the financial service department and explained the situation, the agent looked into the account and he had not seen the credit yet, then I asked who can help me to correct my credit report, and the agent transferred me to Convergent.  Convergent told me that they only collect the money, I need to ask Verizon to correct the records sent to the credit bureaus.  Then I had to call Verizon again and explain to a new agent the situation, then he or she would transfer me to a different department, I was in the loop between customer service, billing, financial service, Convergent, etc for 7 hours, but never reached to a person who can help to correct my credit report.

During the process, some agents told me I should call Verizon wireless recovery operations which handles credit bureau disputes 800-852-1922.  I called that number several times, but each time I received by automatic response and after I entered my phone number and PIN, it always redirected me to the general customer service.  I was never able to reach someone in the recovery operations team.

After hours and hours, I was totally frustrated and tired.  By transferring to Verizon I was hoping to get a better service.  But look at what I have now.  A billing error by Verizon ruined my credit score, and I was not able to reach any Verizon person who can fix the credit score for me.

0 Likes
Re: Moving to Verizon ruined my credit
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

It's our goal to get this resolved ASAP.  Let's turn this around.  A PM is being sent to assist you

-Sean

0 Likes
Mandyli

Update: I was able to get hold of Verizon's recovery operations department by asking Verizon customer service to forward my call to them.  Verizon's recovery operations completed the investigation within 48 hours, and concluded I didn't owe Verzion on that account.  Verizon has sent amendments to major credit reporting agencies to delete the account from my credit report.  The mistake on my credit report will be corrected within 30 days.

I would like to thank Sean for his prompt response to my initial post and for pointing to the correct department to contact.  

TommyBZ

Hi Sean, I am experiencing the same problem, a wrong account under my name ruined my credit scores. Could you kindly help me with this? Thank you very much. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Our goal is to help with questions and concerns regardng accounts. Let's get started. A wrong account under a wrong name seems like a fraud concern. To be fully assisted I recommend you work with our fraud team at 888-483-7200.

-Corey

0 Likes
justin-sc

I had the same issue just happen to my account! I just switched over to Verizon in the spring and began paying my bills faithfully in full on time (never late), but now I see that since August Verizon is holding me late for an unknown (and unbilled) fee of $50 which has now tanked my credit 100pts while it's being sent to collections. We've already sent a letter (a month ago) to dispute this as our bills and payments show that we have never had an unpaid or late balance. Not good Verizon. 

0 Likes
justin-sc

I had the same issue just happen to my account in August too! I had switched over to Verizon in the spring (2022) and began paying my bills faithfully in full on time (never late), but now I see that since August Verizon is holding me late for an unknown (and unbilled) fee of $50 which has now tanked my credit 100pts while also being sent to collections. We've already sent a letter (a month ago) to dispute this as our bills and payments show that we have never had an unpaid or late balance. Not good Verizon!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We are concerned to know about this situation, we want to make sure you get the service you deserve, please send us a private note to further assist you.

>Jorge

0 Likes