Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Customer Shocked by Unfulfilled Trade-In Credit and Terrible Customer Service
WJMT24

As an essential worker putting in 60+ hours a week in a pandemic, I am in true disbelief I had to take the time to write this post.

I am a First Time, New Customer for Verizon Wireless who is beyond shocked and disappointed by the unfulfilled trade-in incentive and terrible customer service I’ve encountered.

I had been with AT&T for many decades and finally decided to make the switch to Verizon in hopes of better coverage and reception. 

I was using my beloved Galaxy Note 8 phone which was in great condition thanks to OtterBox Defender and LifeProof cases. The phone was also long paid-off in full. Since it was durable and user-friendly, there was no need to upgrade while switching providers. 

I originally set up the Verizon account and noted I planned to bring my own device. Then I came across a great offer that promised me a $700 trade-in for my Note 8 to put towards the Note 20 Ultra. There was also a $300 e gift card for buying the Ultra. It seemed like such a good deal. Since my Note 8 was purchased years ago, I didn't want something going wrong with it down the line and be forced to take a bad deal because I suddenly needed a phone. 

I made the switch, received the Ultra, and boxed up my Note 8 to send in. It was fully charged, reset, and swiped clean for germs in the pandemic. I hated to lose such a great phone but felt I was making the right decision. It was mailed back in the Verizon-provided envelope and box, and I had very carefully followed the return instructions.

Several days later I realized there was not a credit on the bill or information about the credit via any type of correspondence. I called to check on the trade-in, with my tracking number in hand. The Verizon worker asked for some numbers to trace the Note 8 device. I put him on speakerphone and grabbed the original box it came in (Verizon asks you to send in the phone without anything else for trade-in, i.e. a box or accessories.) I also went through my emails as I spoke with him, trying to find a code he needed. That's when I saw an email from Verizon saying my device credit was $68 versus the $700 I was promised. (Huh? #1)

I told the representative about the email which said the company had received a 'different device than expected', and a 'better qualifying promotion' had been found. This made no sense whatsoever. 

It also listed a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 in Midnight Black. My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone was Orchid Grey. I was certain there was a mix-up and it would be straightened out. 

The representative said he would look into it and eventually went on to tell me the reason I was not getting the full trade-in credit was due to damage or a crack on the back of my phone. (Huh? #2) I still have no idea where this information came from as it is a stark contrast to the email I was sent. More importantly, I am 100% certain the Grey phone I traded was not cracked, scratched, etc. I'm assuming the company is referring to the mysterious black phone referenced in the email. 

I am utterly baffled for several reasons:

•  I carefully followed the trade-in guidelines from Verizon
  • I sent a Note 8 Orchid Grey phone and later received a notice about a Midnight Black phone
  • The Verizon email said a ‘better qualifying promotion’ had been found (what promotion?)
  • The company kept changing the reason as to why I would now only receive $68 versus the $700 I was promised
  • The phone did not have cracks, scratches, etc. I guarded that thing so carefully and would not have traded in a damaged phone

I asked the representative to send my Note 8 back to me. It was in great shape and I was not in a position to pay full price on a $1200+ phone. He called back the next day and informed me nothing could be done on the trade-in credit. He also said they could not return my Note 8 to me.

I am still not sure what trade-in phone they are actually referring to or why my promised trade-in value changed from $700 to $68. My phone was grey, not black. The email never once referenced damage. (I'm still not sure where that twist came from. I asked for photos and was told they would be emailed to me. I have yet to receive them.)

The representative said I should file a damage claim with UPS. I am struggling with the application process as I don’t even know if Verizon is referencing the actual phone I sent in. I don’t have photos from the company or anything else documenting it was damaged. The documentation I have via a Verizon email mentions a phone of a different color and references a ‘better offer’. UPS says I will need more than that. 

I simply cannot believe this is how any company would treat a new customer. I was so grateful to find a good promotion and did everything by the book to turn in the old phone. It’s extremely disheartening, especially right now. 

Many thanks for listening. 

0 Likes
Re: New Customer Shocked by Unfulfilled Trade-In Credit and Terrible Customer Service
Tigerstep

I'm a former Altell customer and don't trust Verizon with equipment. They've made my last phone purchases through them a pain on top of it. This is why I keep old phones instead of trade-in and also why I buy unlocked phones vs going through a carrier.

0 Likes
Re: New Customer Shocked by Unfulfilled Trade-In Credit and Terrible Customer Service
WJMT24

That is good advice, thank you! 

It is so frustrating, dealing with something like this. 

I expected Verizon to be better than this. 

0 Likes
WJMT24

(I replied below but just realized I needed to do it here.)

That is good advice, thank you! 

It is so frustrating, dealing with something like this. 

I expected Verizon to be better than this. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you for all you do. We always want your switch over to Verizon to be a smooth one. I'm sorry to learn about what happened with your device return, and I'm here to help. In order to assist you best, the next step is to access your account and review all the details. Besides this message, I will also send you a Private Note, so we can continue. 

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes