Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Non-Working Phone
kossoffm

This is a Facebook post I put up since I've had no satisfaction working with tech support or customer service.

I'm curious as to whether my recent issues with Verizon support and customer service are an isolated occurrence or a wider, systemic failure by the company. I'll summarize what I've experienced since mid-December, but there's so much. The ghost of Kafka read my message threads with Verizon and said, "Even I couldn't dream this up."

In July 2021, after owning three Google Pixel phones, I went to my Verizon outlet and switched to a Samsung Galaxy S21Ultra. After I adjusted my preferences and settings, I was initially very happy with the phone. In mid-December, my phone began to randomly restart, often while I was in the middle of doing something. This would occur more than 10 times every day. A quick Google search revealed that this was a well-known problem that predated my purchase by at least six months. Based on the online discussions, it wasn't clear whether the Galaxy S21Ultra had a hardware problem, a battery issue, or a software issue. The most common, recommended fix was a full factory data reset, which required setting up the phone (again) like it’s brand new. That didn't work.

Thus began my trip down a bottomless pit insanity with Verizon. My odyssey included another data reset, a replacement phone, three more resets, a 25-minute phone call from a Verizon rep, a scheduled callback that never happened, more than 400 text messages, and two trips to a Verizon store.

My phone still resets itself overnight. I'll wake up to a different alarm, requiring me to figure out how to turn it off at 5:45 AM. Then my keyboard is different. Some days my messaging app will change, or my phone app. Verizon said perhaps one of my apps was causing this, but they had no way of knowing which one. All apps worked perfectly well prior to a system update on December 18, 2021.

Today, I heard something at the Verizon store that left me speechless: “It doesn't matter how many times we replace it, your Galaxy S21Ultra will continue to have the same problems, even if you restore anything from your backed up data.”

Apparently, apps and settings I've used for a long time are being overridden by Samsung apps. Verizon says they’re helpless and can’t fix this problem. Verizon blames Samsung, saying they'll honor the warranty and give me another replacement phone – provided that it’s the same Galaxy S21Ultra.

I've asked repeatedly for Verizon to take back the phone and exchange it for the Pixel 6. Verizon told me they can't do that; Samsung doesn't allow it. I conducted a 25- minute call with “Robert,” a Tier 2 support rep. Robert advised me that the call was being recorded, confirmed that he’s seen exactly the exchange I'm asking for, authorized. Robert said he was taking my case to “Leadership,” who had the power to authorize this exchange.

Then there was silence. I heard nothing for days on end. Ultimately, I tried to get more information. Other reps could see there was a callback scheduled for this past Wednesday (January 5, 2022). While waiting for that callback, a Verizon rep in the store also confirmed that my case has never been reviewed.

But wait, it gets worse! Verizon has presented me one option: Pay off the $900 balance for this phone (which they've admitted they can't make work correctly) and get the Pixel phone I'd rather have. Or I can use this Galaxy S21Ultra for 18 months that will never work properly, pay it off, and then get a new phone. That “choice” seems to favor one side and that’s Verizon, not the consumer.

Am I alone? If you've had a similar experience with Verizon (and the Galaxy S21Ultra phone), please take a few minutes to vent. We all need a safe space to vent.

It was confirmed by a Tier 2 Rep this morning that they are unable to make my phone work properly and will send another phone that won't work properly, but I can exchange it if I pay off the non-working phone. He essentially blamed Samsung and washed his hands of this problem.

Re: Non-Working Phone
acraftylady2

What did Samsung say when you contacted them? 

0 Likes
kossoffm

No reply, but they did add me to their email list so now I'm getting ads trying to sell me the Galaxy S21 Ultra.

0 Likes
kossoffm

The way Verizon operates is different from any other retailer that sells products that they don't actually make.

It's like having a computer on a car malfunction. Per the Verizon model, a dealer who sold the car would tell you it's not their problem and to go complain to the computer maker.

0 Likes
acraftylady2

Few years ago when an LG update fried my phone LG had to care of it in warranty.  LG told me it was their fault.  Seems Samsung should do the same.    

Wendie1

Verizon has become the worst at everything!

0 Likes