Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Not very good Live Chat experience
Cdo777

Tried to use Live Chat today to ask a question about a mystery $39 item on my bill. Please see for yourself. It doesn't help that there are no timestamps but there were many long periods of waiting for the agents to respond. And some agents just disconnected.

Chat transcript with some personal info redacted:

ME: Hello I have a question on a charge showing on my bill for line xxx.xxx.xxxx. The charge description is Point of sale equip chrg/crdt and it was for $39. What was that for?

AUTOMATED AGENT: I understand how important managing expenses is. You can get a detailed breakdown of this month's charges compared to last month’s right here.

AUTOMATED AGENT: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

ME: You didnt answer my question. What was that charge for?

AUTOMATED AGENT: Sure. Can you share the name of the charge you are concerned about?

ME: Point of sale equip chrg/crdt

AUTOMATED AGENT: Can you repeat that? Can you share the name of the charge you are concerned about?

ME: Point of sale equip /chrg/crdt

AUTOMATED AGENT: In-store pickup is the fastest and most cost-effective way to purchase a device. Ordering online is easy, convenient, and most devices will be available in-store within 2 hours.

When checking out, your cart will indicate whether or not all the items are available for in-store pickup. If the device is unavailable or you prefer to have it shipped to you, 2-day shipping is provided free of charge.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

ME: Yes, please

AUTOMATED AGENT: I'd be happy to help, please tell me what I can assist you with.

ME: Please connect me to a human.

AUTOMATED AGENT: Let me connect you with a live chat rep.

We received your message and we'll connect you with the next available agent.

Please do not share any sensitive information (e.g. credit card, account pin, SSN.) during this chat session beyond what is required for authentication. If we need to authenticate you, we’ll send you a secure link, text you a one-time passcode, or provide a way to sign in with your online password.

The estimated wait time is 19 minutes or less. Please keep in mind in order to hold your place in the agent queue you will need to keep this chat window active otherwise your session could be ended.

VERIZON AGENT: How can I help?

ME: Hello, I see a charge on my Sept 8 - Oct 7 bill named Point of sale equip chrg/crdt for $39 for my line xxx.xxx.xxxx. Can you tell me what that was for?

VERIZON AGENT: I'd be happy to look into that for you.

Give me one moment.

Thanks for your patience.

ME: Sure thank you

VERIZON AGENT: Looks like something was billed to the account.

I'm going to have to do a little more research.

ME: Thanks. I need to know what it was. Its my childs phone with a Just Kids plan.

VERIZON AGENT: Looks like something was purchase but the option bill it to the account failed so it was added as a fee.

ME: It must have been an unauthorized purchase. I need more info please: exact item purchase, physical location (if at a store) or online.

I dont remember buying anything.

Please cancel/reverse the charge because I didnt make/authorize it.

VERIZON AGENT: Hi there! I am your live chat representative for today, may I know your name?

ME: Hello, this is <ny name>.

VERIZON AGENT: Hello there <name>! How can I assist our valued customer for today?

ME: Hmm... I was chatting w/ another live chat agent here and I told them my issue already :)... but here goes again...

I see a charge on my Sept 8 - Oct 7 bill named Point of sale equip chrg/crdt for $39 for my line xxx.xxx.xxxx. Can you tell me what that was for? I dont remember anything about it.

Point of sale sounds like a transaction made at a store/physical location. I definitely didnt buy anything at a store in the last few months .

VERIZON AGENT: I really appreciate that you bring this to my attention. No worries I can assist you on this.

I really appreciate that you bring this to my attention. No worries I can assist you on this.

Do you have an order number for this?

and the location code/

ME: Nope... I dont have anything other than the fact that its there on my bill.

I am questioning why its on my bill 🙂

VERIZON AGENT: checking on it

checking on it

As per checking here that is the charger for the iphone 11

As per checking here that is the charger for the iphone 11

ME: Hmm the phone definitely did not come with a charger. Abd I did not buy one.

Where did the charger purchase made? Which store was it? And who made the purchase? The phone is for my 13-year old son. He doesnt know anything about it.

At this point I would have to say that this is an unauthorized charge and I would like it to be reversed. Unless you/VZ can provide additional proof of purchase.

VERIZON AGENT: Got it!

did you puchased this on the store?

ME:  Sorry... I have been trying to tell you... I have no idea what this charge is on my bill.

Its Verizon who needs to give me proof that this was an authorized purchase 🙂

A generic description Point of sale equip chrg/crdt is not enough. Unless VZ can give more info (who made the purchase, where, who was the sale agent, etc.), I will need to have the charge reversed.

Can this be escalated to the next level of live chat agent please?

VERIZON AGENT: The reason why the iphone 11 does have a charger is becasue when you purchased the iphone 11 the iphone 11 does not have a charger included

The reason why the iphone 11 does have a charger is becasue when you purchased the iphone 11 the iphone 11 does not have a charger included

ME: Sorry you dont understand what I have been trying to explain. Can I chat with a manager maybe?

VERIZON AGENT: I totally understand where you are coming from.

ME: Its true. iPhone 11 does not come with charger. But I did not buy or receive an additional charger.

VERIZON AGENT: got it!

ME: You still there??

VERIZON AGENT: Hi there, I am your Verizon expert today. How may I assist you today?

ME: Hello... I chatted with 2 other live chat agents... they stopped responding. So you are the 3rd :)... hopefully you can help me.

I dont recognize this item on my Sept 8 - Oct 7 bill: (Point of sale equip chrg/crdt) for $39 for my line xxx.xxx.xxxx. Can you tell me what it was for?

VERIZON AGENT: Sure, I will do all I can to help you with the same.

ME: Thanks

AUTOMATED AGENT: We received your message and we'll connect you with the next available agent.

Please do not share any sensitive information (e.g. credit card, account pin, SSN.) during this chat session beyond what is required for authentication. If we need to authenticate you, we’ll send you a secure link, text you a one-time passcode, or provide a way to sign in with your online password.

The estimated wait time is 15 minutes or less. Please keep in mind in order to hold your place in the agent queue you will need to keep this chat window active otherwise your session could be ended.

ME I dont recognize this item on my Sept 8 - Oct 7 bill: (Point of sale equip chrg/crdt) for $39 for my line 804.512.8234. Can you tell me what it was for?

VERIZON AGENT: Hi! My name is C.... with Verizon Customer Service. I see that you've been chatting with our Digital Assistant about a charge. Let me check the account for this. May I please have your complete name and complete phone number for us to pull up the account?

ME: Hello C.... I have been chatting with a few live chat agents for maybe 45 mins now but kept getting disconnected. My name is <name>. My number is xxx-xxx-xxxx.

VERIZON AGENT: We will check the account for this, <name>. To confirm, is this a charge on your most recent bill?

ME: Its on my Sept 8 - Oct 7 bill. Yes I think thats the most recent.

VERIZON AGENT: Got it, checking on this now.

ME: Still checking?

VERIZON AGENT: As per checking the bill, the $39 charge showing was a point of sale equipment charge. May I ask, did you pay for taxes when you purchase the device? Looks like the charge was the charge when purchasing the device.

As per checking the bill, the $39 charge showing was a point of sale equipment charge. May I ask, did you pay for taxes when you purchase the device? Looks like the charge was the charge when purchasing the device.

ME: The iPhone was purchased the month before that. Its on a payment plan etc.

ME: I dont understand why there is this mysterious Point of sale charge. I needs more details than that 🙂

ME: What equipment was it for? Was it at a physical point of sale location? Where was it? etc. 🙂

ME: If you look at that line xxx, it has separate charges for Just Kids plan, Device payment plan.

VERIZON AGENT: May I ask where did you purchase the device? Was it from a store or online?

ME: I bought online.

ME: Any other idea what this charge was for? If not can you reverse it? VZ needs to give more info on the bill if they expect us to pay 🙂

ME: Ive been a VZ customer for maybe 20 years now and I had a huge billing issue last year so now I check my bill often for things like this.

ME: Or should I call customer service later when they open and try to speak with someone on the phone?

ME: Hello - are you still there?

0 Likes
Re: Not very good Live Chat experience
Cdo777

Also, I noticed a few basic issues with the Live Chat system:

• You cannot type certain characters like double quotes... why??
  • There's no feedback/satisfaction questionnaire at the end. What incentives are there for agents to help customers with difficult issues? Apparently many just stopped responding or disconnected.
  • There are no timestamps.

At this point, I think I will just always call the customer service phone number. Using Live Chat for anything other than very basic questions is a big waste of time.

0 Likes
Re: Not very good Live Chat experience
Cdo777

Not one to give up. I kept at it for another hour or so. And finally was able to get a Live Chat agent who could help me find out what the $39 was for.

It turned out the "Point of sale equip chrg/crdt" charge as for VA State and Local taxes:  VA State Sales Tax of $27.95 and VA Local Sales Tax of $11.05.

However, I am still very disappointed with Verizon Wireless that many hours collectively were lost simply because they couldn't give descriptive names to billing charges. Why can't they just call it "State/Local Taxes"??? Why "Point of sale equip chrg/crdt"? Do they expect us consumers to know what that is? Surely they are not new to the concept of state/local sales taxes.

0 Likes