Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Number Nicknames
SHIBRO91

I have nicknamed some of the numbers that I send and receive to in my text log but now that I have done so I can't retrieve what the original number is.  How can I look up the number of a nickname that has already been assigned?

Labels (1)
Re: Number Nicknames
tikibar1
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

If viewing the desktop version of My Verizon, hover over the nickname and the phone number should be visible in a pop-up box.  If you click on the nickname, the number should also be visible in the Add/Update Nickname box.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We know how important it is to be able to view your contact information. Are you looking at the mobile app or the desktop version of Verizon Messages?

JosephT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vanessa1031

What if the person hasn't called you in awhile. Is there any way to get the phone number that was associated with their name? On old bills, it only shows phone numbers so I have no idea what number is associated with what person. Perhaps some sort of master list of all our nicknames and the numbers associated with them, even if they haven't called you for months?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We want to be sure that all of your concerns are addressed. To be sure that we are on the same page. How are you accessing your My Verizon? Are you using your My Verizon app or via desktop?

Jose A.M_VZW

0 Likes
thesweetlycool

I use both desktop and Verizon app.  Same problem.  Why don't you offer a solution for both instead of answering a question with a question?

Each acct is allowed 1000 number nicknames, which appear in call detail records.  Currently they can only be accessed one at a time in the call detail section, and only if they appear as a recent call.

How can the list be accessed, so it can be edited?  How can numbers that have been assigned nicknames, but do not appear in recent call records be accessed?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

@thesweetlycool

I want to ensure we are accurately answering and addressing all of your wireless questions and concerns. In order for us to assist, we need some additional information.

Can you tell me the exact steps you took to nickname these specific numbers?

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
thesweetlycool

Back before the latest verizonwireless.com redesign, there were account hyperlinks on the front page, and one of them was to allow you to edit your friends & family entries and to edit your nicknames.  That is all gone away now with the advents of fancy flash graphics and unlimited plans.  But nicknames apparently still exist, because when asking for detailed CDRs, the output contains some numbers and some nicknames.  https://myvpostpay.verizonwireless.com/ui/bill/ao/viewbill?flow=MS#!/dttactivity/October%2021,%20201...

Sometimes the number is replaced by the nickname and sometimes it’s not, but that’s another problem.

If I need to edit or remove a nickname, there’s no way to access the list (that I can find) other than to click on the entry in the Number Called field of the detail table.  That table only includes the first 5 entries (another problem for another day – seems you can scroll thru more of the table in the text output, but not in voice or data), so if the number I want to edit is not one of the first 5 entries, I’m out of luck.

How do I access a list of nicknames that I have created so that I can edit them and make sure they are correct??

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Assigning the devices a nickname online should be an easy process thesweetlycool. I'm sorry you're having issues with editing this information. Here is a link with steps to get assign devices a nickename. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/name-your-device-faqs/#name 

Let us know if this information is helpful. 

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
KH-Michael

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes