Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Old devices
mar51

I have sold several of my old devices.  I noticed when I went to activate a new one that they all show up there, even the sold ones.  I asked for them to be removed, but they said they can't.  [removed] ?  Upon cleaning and deleting before the sale I read you should remove them from your account and call your provider and tell them to.    I want them off

Profanity removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Old devices
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

The devices are no longer active on your account, meaning you are no longer charged a line access fee for those devices, and they are not assigned to a specific line on your account.  They ARE in your account history as devices previously active on your account. 

Verizon has no way of knowing that they are no longer in your possession or whether or not you may want to activate them at some future point.  It's simply giving you a history of the devices that you have previously activated on that line, making it simpler to activate in the future.

I think it would be impossible to keep up with which phones people keep and which they don't - the list you are seeing is a list of phones previously activated on that line and I don't think it can be edited to reflect which ones are currently in your possession and which are not.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

Where are you seeing this list?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mar51

Well... say your phone breaks down and until you get new or it fixed you use an old one you used to use with verizon.  So you go into activate or switch phones and it asks if it is a phone you have used before then you click the arrow and laundry list of phones comes up that you have used in the past and for me that is a lot.  Some I have sold.  I am not happy about not being able to delete them.  why in the heck would they save them.

0 Likes
mar51

[Removed] Oh boy.  I am seriously thinking after about 15 years of jumping ship over to US Cellular.  It's ridiculous you can't control your own devices that you have bought and paid for.  Not happy with Verizon right now.  I think I am going to send some mass mailings to the President of Verizon and the corporate office.  Maybe enough paper flooding them will get it taken care of.???

discussing moderation removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

That doesn't answer my question.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mar51

Yes, I did. I said, once again, it's under My devices, then activate or switch.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

The devices are no longer active on your account, meaning you are no longer charged a line access fee for those devices, and they are not assigned to a specific line on your account.  They ARE in your account history as devices previously active on your account. 

Verizon has no way of knowing that they are no longer in your possession or whether or not you may want to activate them at some future point.  It's simply giving you a history of the devices that you have previously activated on that line, making it simpler to activate in the future.

I think it would be impossible to keep up with which phones people keep and which they don't - the list you are seeing is a list of phones previously activated on that line and I don't think it can be edited to reflect which ones are currently in your possession and which are not.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

mar51 wrote:

Yes, I did. I said, once again, it's under My devices, then activate or switch.

Technically you didn't write that until your third post (quoted above). You wrote "activate or switch phones" in your second post, but you never wrote where that was.

Personally I haven't used the Switch Phone option in the MyVerizon account online for at least three or four years when I first had to activate my first micro SIM card from the mini SIM card I had been using. Hence why I didn't immediately connect the device list with the MyVerizon account online. Previously and currently, I was swapping SIM cards between devices regularly and didn't need to use another step to activate the phones. When I did last use the MyVerizon account online to switch phones, I remember the list didn't reflect the current device in the previously activated devices and the list was missing a few devices from it. I later determined all the missing devices were ones I had activated solely with a SIM swap. I would be surprised if I were to use the switch device option in the future and shocked if it actually listed all of my past devices. As for wanting to delete that list, I don't think it should be user editable. It reflects the account history of devices on that line and holds an information value just like your purchase receipts and bills.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Leader

Such a minor thing to be so upset about.

This information can't be deleted from the website because it can't be deleted from the main system. As you know, every device has an IMEI number which identifies it. If you lose your phone and some good samaritan takes it to a VZW store it can be looked up by that IMEI to find the owner. Even if you sold it and it was never activated by anyone else, VZW would consider it yours and try to contact you. Think of it as the VIN on a car. By looking it up, you can get a history of the ownership.

VZW wouldn't give your information to anyone you sold a device to but they keep records of which accounts the phones are activated on.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Leader

mar51 wrote:

[Removed] Oh boy. I am seriously thinking after about 15 years of jumping ship over to US Cellular. It's ridiculous you can't control your own devices that you have bought and paid for. Not happy with Verizon right now. I think I am going to send some mass mailings to the President of Verizon and the corporate office. Maybe enough paper flooding them will get it taken care of.???

discussing moderation removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Verizon won't remove them and you won't jump ship. Crying wolf ain't gonna help you when you really need something that's slightly important.

0 Likes