Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patheticially Bad Customer Service
DJonesing_PDX

My mother died July 3rd, 2020. In late July we tried to cancel her service. We contacted Verizon and they asked us to send a copy of her death certificate. We did as requested and waited for a response, but nothing came except another bill. We contacted Verizon again and they said they never got her death certificate so we sent it again. We waited for a response, but nothing came except another bill with nothing itemized, just the amount she owed. I contacted Verizon again and asked for an itemized bill so we could figure out what charges we were going to pay, but that never arrived. In September  the bank shut down the credit card she’d been using for auto-pay. In October Verizon sent my mother’s account to collections.

My mother is from a generation that always paid their bills on time. She’d have been ashamed and mortified to have one of her bills wind up with a collection agency. (Not to mention really angry off at her children for having allowed such a thing to happen.)

When our family needed their support, Verizon failed us miserably. In the midst of grieving and dealing with all the details of her estate, we had to deal with a level of incompetence and brazen lack of concern that is simply appalling.

I finally gave up on anyone being bothered to help us with this problem so I went ahead and paid the bill. Verizon has gotten money they don’t deserve, but I can’t make the effort it will take to them to do the right thing.

This whole experience has made me wonder. Is this something Verizon does to pick up a few more dollars to make up for lost revenue on contracts they’re required by law to cancel? Do they run a contract a few months longer, hoping grieving relatives will just pay, and when they don’t, send it to collections to pick up whatever they can? Has anyone else here experienced anything like this?

0 Likes