Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
People get a busy signal when calling me.
OUGrad05

Can someone tell me why people calling from a landline sometimes get a busy signal when calling me?  It's not every landline but some of them do it repeatedly.  I've missed 3 client calls today and one call from a doctor because of this.  It's happened for awhile but now that I'm using my phone a lot more it's becoming noticeable.

The same client has complained about this before in the past but since I was spending a lot of time in their office it wasn't a problem.  Now that I'm not it is becoming an issue.  I'm not sure it's a verizon problem per say?  But maybe it is? 

I'm looking for help or suggestions as to why this may be happening.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: People get a busy signal when calling me.
MiiHere
Leader

I recently was told that my phone number wasn't working either, only it was a company calling me. I went in and made sure my voicemail was set up properly so they could at least leave me one should the call waiting not beep through. I do remember back in the day sometimes you had to call back 2 or 3 times and for some reason it would force the call through to call waiting. It could just be coincidence that when they call you, you're already on the phone and it's simply that it's not beeping in.

0 Likes
OUGrad05

In several instances I know for a fact I wasn't on the phone because one of them called me from their cell phone after trying twice from their desk phone.  My phone was sitting next to me on the table the whole time.

I will check all my voicemail settings just to be sure. 

0 Likes
MiiHere
Leader

How long has it been going on? I remember on my old Droid Incredible I had this problem periodically, only I'd just randomly have a new voicemail even though my phone was sitting right next to me.

0 Likes
OUGrad05

Well they don't get an option to go to voicemail.  If they did at least I'd know they called.  I'm being told it sounds like a busy signal and that's it. 

It's been happening for awhile and I always chalked it up to something odd or random since it didn't seem to occur often.  But now that I'm using my phone a lot more I've noticed it doesn't appear to be random. 

For example, one client absolutely cannot call me from their landline.  They can turn around and call me from their cell phone all day long.  Additionally, my ear/nose/throat doctor reported the same thing to me.

Missing important phone calls is pretty annoying.  It's especially true when they can't get to voicemail because all they get is a busy signal.  I can't help but wonder if it's a problem with routing via the old land line system?  But if it's cellular related I would like to figure out how to get it resolved. 

0 Likes
MiiHere
Leader

Is your phone number a local number to everyone who calls you? Or is it long distance to some people calling from landlines?

You could clear the cache and data of your voicemail app and set up your voicemail again. You could also power off your device, remove the SIM card for a minute and put it back in. If you go to a Verizon Corporate store they will replace the SIM card for free, but if it's always the same couple people from landlines, I'm going to say it's something on their end.

0 Likes
OUGrad05

It was doing this on my note3 and now my note5 so hard to believe it's a SIM card issue or cache issue?

The folks calling have all been local that I'm aware of.  In fact in one instance I was in the same building about a month ago, they didn't know I was in the office and called my cell, got a busy signal then she called via cell phone and it went right through. 

I'm not sure this happens with cell to cell calls.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Leader

It's most likely not a SIM card issue.

I think it's a landline issue. Possibly even a VoIP issue; just depends who is calling you from where and from what.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

OUGrad05 - This is quite concerning to hear. You should be getting all of your calls. Let's work together to figure this out. It is certainly possible as MiiHere stated that it is an issue with the local landline provider not being able to make calls to your wireless number and when that is the case we will need to speak with you and get examples of the numbers that called so we can contact the landline provider and make sure there isn't a translation issue when calling your phone. Are you currently able to check your voicemail when you call it directly from your phone via *86 send?

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
OUGrad05

Yes I can check voicemail dialing directly.  I just changed my greeting today actually. 

I can get some phone numbers or at least one for you but I do not want to list it publicly.  I'll be available early next week to discuss if necessary. 

0 Likes