Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Poor Customer Service
Cancelthis

February 27, 2020

Re: Poor Customer Service

Dear Verizon Wireless,

I’m writing this letter to express my dissatisfaction with Verizon Wireless Customer Service both by the Call Center and the Montclair CA store. The Rancho Cucamonga Verizon store is also mentioned in my letter but by no means does poor customer service apply to this store. In fact, they went above and beyond to provide excellent customer service. Specifically, the store Manager Mr. Brown.

I felt that it was important to provide dates and details of what transpired so that it’s clear to Verizon Wireless Customer Support Supervisors. Apple is also mentioned in my letter since some of the issues have to do with their product.

Thursday evening October 17, 2019 – I decided to upgrade my phone and switch from android to iPhone. I purchased the iPhone 11 Pro Max.  I was informed that my iPhone will be delivered on Tuesday October 22, 2019.

Friday afternoon October 18, 2019. – Around 12:17 pm I received a call from 949-XXX-XXXX (Phone number removed per the Terms of Service). At first it started out as a recorded message stating they have an important call from Verizon Wireless Fraud department. The automated message said “for verification purposes, please enter your 4 digit pin number” which I did since Verizon wireless always ask for this when I speak with them. Next, I was asked to enter my last 4 digits of my social security number, so I did. Next, I was transferred to customer service. The man informed me that someone had attempted to purchase multiple phones on my account, and he needed to verify my information. I told him that there may have been a misunderstanding because I just purchased an iPhone the night before and was looking to purchase one for my husband and changed my mind because I wasn’t too sure if that’s what my husband wanted. He asked for my 4 digit pin # so I gave it to him. He said “hold let me check” then came back on the line. He then asked me for my last 4 of my SS# which I gave him. He said, “hold let me check”. Next thing the line got disconnected. I thought perhaps I accidently ordered more than one phone, so I tried logging on to my Verizon wireless account but couldn’t. I didn’t think much of it at the time and since I was busy at work, I just left it alone. I just figured I made an error, but I know I only paid for one phone, so I wasn’t worried.

Friday Evening October 18, 2019 – It was around 5:00pm when UPS was at my door to deliver a package. I signed for it not knowing what it was as to I wasn’t expecting my phone until the following Tuesday and didn’t recall ordering anything. I cut the top of the box open and saw it was an iPhone 11 pro max box inside. I took it out, opened the box to only find the accessories but no iPhone. I thought perhaps my phone was shipping separately since I was not expecting it until the following Tuesday. My daughter who was next to me said that Verizon always ship the phone and accessories together. She picked up the box to pull out the packing slip and we both noticed that the original brown box tape had been cut open on the bottom and clear tape was placed over it. It was evident that it had been tampered with and I was furious! I immediately called Verizon wireless while my daughter called UPS to report this incident. My first thought was the UPS driver stole my phone.

Over three hours on the phone with Verizon having to explain what perhaps sounded like a ridiculous story to multiple people as to I kept getting transferred. The reaction I was getting from each person I was transferred to after I explained what had happened was sarcastic and snarky responses like I was lying to them. It was mentally exhausting for me. I felt victimized again. I explained to customer care that I had received a call from Verizon Wireless Fraud department earlier that day. The cc rep said that Verizon wireless fraud does not reach out to anyone on the phone. I gave her the number 949-XXX-XXXX (Phone number removed per the Terms of Service) which had called me. Then I called the same number on speaker phone from another phone so that the Verizon Rep could hear. I was flabbergasted that the voice message stating Verizon Wireless Fraud Department on the line was that of the same man I had spoken to earlier in the day. I was sick to my stomach!

I was eventually transferred to the Verizon Fraud department who told me that my account was accessed earlier that day shortly after I had received that fake phone call from Verizon wireless and that someone had changed my account password and my security word. The person or persons were attempting to purchase phones but were unsuccessful. I had to cancel the online account and open a new once which I did. I was also informed that an investigation had to be done before a replacement phone would be sent.

UPS informed me that they would come by to inspect or retrieve the package. I told them that they can come by and inspect the package and take pictures but by no means were they going to take the box since I felt that was my only proof of what happened.

Friday October 18th, 2019. – My husband agreed to also upgrade from Android to iPhone. I ordered the same iPhone 11 pro max for him. We received the phone on the day we expected but my husband said he would not activate his new phone until I received mine and we would active both our new iPhones together.

Saturday October 19th, 2019. My daughter who is on my account liked the phone and upgraded her iPhone 7 to the same iPhone 11 pro max. She received her new iPhone when expected and activated it without any issues. It was shipped to my home with FedEx.

I continued to call Verizon on a daily base and spent numerous hours of time on the phone with Verizon Call Center Customer Care reps trying to figure out when I would get a replacement. Each time I was informed it was still under investigation, but I should have an answer any day perhaps the next day. It was exhausting to have to explain what had happened to multiple people over and over. Especially when their response comes with sarcasm.  

October 28th, 2019 – My husband decided to go ahead and activate his iPhone since it was nearing the date to where he would be able to return it just in case he did not like it since he would be a first time iPhone user. We started the set up per the instructions but sometime during the transfer the phone became stuck on the iPhone logo. We could not restart it or turn it off. I contacted Verizon the following day and again spoke to and had to explain to many people the situation before I was transferred to IT. The IT person was very helpful and puzzled as to why the phone would not shut off or restart. He connected me to an Apple rep and stood on the line with me to help me sort out the issue with the phone. The apple rep informed me that I would need to bring the phone to the apple store for them to look at and if they cannot correct the issue that they would exchange the phone. I received an appointment for Wednesday October 30th at the Rancho Cucamonga Apple store.

October 30th, 2019 - Even with our appointment at the Rancho Cucamonga Apple Store we had to wait around 45 minutes to be seen. The apple technician connected the phone to her laptop and begin trying to access it. After about 2 hours, she said it was determined that the phone was not good and that there was nothing that can be done. Unfortunately, they did not have the iPhone 11 Pro Max in the color my husband wanted so we walked around the corner to the Verizon Wireless store for an exchange.

October 30th, 2019 – Verizon Wireless Rancho Cucamonga store. We spoke with the Sales rep and Manager about the phone and what had taken place. The Store Manager (I believe his last name was brown) and the sales rep were very helpful with us and said they would exchange the phone. During the process, I started to tell the Sales Rep our horrible ordeal since we decided to switch from android to iPhone and how happy I was with the customer service they were providing. I mentioned what had happened to my iPhone 626-22x-xxx0 and that UPS delivered a box that was tampered with and the iPhones was missing from the box. I was surprised to learn from the Sales Rep that that was the second time that month that he heard the same thing from other customers and that the customers told him that it was some kind of UPS scams across America not only with Verizon phones or iPhones but with other carriers and phones as well. He said that he heard from others that UPS workers know how to identify which boxed contain phones. I asked why Verizon continues to use UPS instead of just FedEx and he said he believed it had something to do with contracts but wasn’t sure. They exchanged our phone and received the replacement for line 626-22x-xxx8.

October 30th, 2019 – (Montclair CA Store) We went home and attempted to activate to phone 626-22x-xxx8 but for some reason none of the data would transfer including any contacts. I kept getting a message that there was no more room and that the phone had used up 64 gigabytes. It was impossible because nothing transferred. No contacts, pictures, or videos. I called Verizon, went through the entire ordeal with speaking to multiple people and IT. They told me to return it to a Verizon store and get a replacement. This time I took it to the Montclair CA location which was close to my home. I was greeted by the Manager, Guillermo. I explained to him what had happened and that I just recently exchanged a new iPhone that had issues. Guillermo told me there was nothing he can do and for me to take it to the apple store for them to figure out. I explained to him that I would need an appointment and that I had to do it now because it was close to the last day that I would be able to return the phone. Guillermo told me that he went to the Apple Store earlier that day without an appointment and was in and out of there in less than half hour. I replied to him that based on my recent experience that it wasn’t true. Guillermo and one of his female Sales Reps who joined in the conversation continued to be rude to me. I don’t recall her name, but she was a Hispanic female with long curly reddish-blond hair. I only feel the need to describe her because I don’t recall her name and I’m hoping this letter find its way to that location so that they may help their employees improve their customer service. The female sales rep told me that it was user error and that I should purchase an iPhone with more gigabytes. Her comment to me was insulting to my intelligence. I brought the old phone with me 626-22x-xxx8 and showed her that it had many pictures, videos, apps, and contacts and still had plenty of available gigabytes, so her theory was incorrect. Guillermo became even more upset and continued to raise his voice. He started to tell me that Verizon Wireless can only exchange a new phone one time during the 14 day period no matter the reason. I replied to him that he incorrect and called Verizon wireless. It took a while, but I was eventually connected to Customer Care. During that time on hold and while speaking to different people on the line, both Guillermo and the female sales rep continued to talk over me. The Verizon Rep on the phone said I was absolutely in my right to exchange the phone no matter the reason and agreed to talk to Guillermo if needed. Guillermo did not speak to the Verizon rep on the phone even though I tried to hand my phone to him, but he agreed to exchange the phone but said I had to pay a $50.00 restock fee. I wasn’t happy with that and didn’t think it was right, but I agreed because I wanted to get out of that hostile situation. I felt very uncomfortable and so did my daughter. I did my best to keep calm and cool, but I was shaking inside, and I felt dizzy.

October 30, 2019 – That evening after exchanging the phone at Verizon Wireless Montclair store, I attempted the activation for line 626-22x-xxx8. It was successful including all the data transfer and contacts. I also received my replacement iPhone 11 pro max for line 626-22x-xxx0. Activation and data transfer were successful.

Around January 20, 2020 - I was reviewing my Verizon bill and noticed I was being charged $1,099.99 for an unreturned device. I immediately contacted Verizon about this bill. During the call, I had concerns that perhaps the Verizon Store Manager at the Montclair store did not return the iPhone I took back for malicious reasons. After having to explain the entire story to each person I was transferred to and on the phone for hours, I was informed that I was being charged for the iPhone on line 626-22x-xxx0. That was the phone that was allegedly stolen by UPS.  I was also told that this charge should not be there and would be removed. I shouldn’t have to call back.

February 25, 2020 – I logged onto Verizon Wireless to obtain a payment extension. I was surprised and upset to see that the charge for $1,099.99 plus $85.25 for taxes was still on my bill. I was unable to obtain the extension because of this. I called Verizon during my lunch hour. Again, I had to speak to numerous people and explain the situation to each person I spoke with that I was being charged for a phone that was stolen by UPS because of course this is what I was informed of when I spoke with Verizon on or around January 20th. The call exceeded way past my lunch hour. One of the ladies I spoke with seemed to be very helpful, understanding, and willing to help me. She put me on hold a few times while she continued to look into it. Then she came back on the phone and her tone was completely different with me. She said to me in a very sharp tone “Well Ms. Nunez, after looking into it, you are not being charged for the iPhone you claim UPS stole, you are being charged for the iPhone you didn’t return for line 626-222-xxx8 that you still have. We show it was activated for one day and that you still have it and I also see that you replace that phone 2 times!” In return I said to the Verizon rep that because I was informed in January that the charge for the unreturned device had to do with the phone 626-22x-xxx0 that was allegedly stolen by UPS, that I had no reason to mention anything about my husband’s phone 626-22x-xxx8. So, I ended up having to explain the entire ordeal from the beginning. She put me on hold and next thing I’m speaking with someone entirely different by the name of Nikki. I had to explain everything to Nikki. By this time, I’m extremely sick to my stomach and shaky. This is while I’m at work. During the time I was on hold with Nikki, I logged onto my Verizon Wireless account to see what if anything I can find to help back up what I was saying. I found a link to Documents and was able to find the proof of the Equipment return for both the Verizon Rancho Cucamonga location and the Montclair locations. I provided Nikki with the details on the receipt. Nikki informed me that she will make sure this is taken care of and that I would not have to call back again. I received an email and a text message stating that a credit is on the way. I planned on calling Verizon the next morning to make my payment extension.

February 26, 2020 – Around 6am in the morning. I tried calling my husband and my call was routed to Verizon wireless for non-payment. It was suspended. I was furious that this had happened. I was able to connect with Verizon. Again, I had to explain everything to each person I spoke with and was informed that my credit for $1,099.99 plus the taxes was denied. I was transferred to Tatiana who was helpful although the call was long from my home, dropping off my son at school, and continued while I was at my office working. Tatiana said that there was record of receiving the phones back for 626-22x-xxx8 and she didn’t understand why the credit was being denied. She said she had multiple eyes including management looking into it. Tatiana eventually said that it was concluded that the charges were from the iPhone 11 pro max on line 626-22x-xxx0 that was never returned. I explained to here that how could it be returned when it was allegedly stolen by UPS and all I received was an empty box that was tampered with. She said that she will make sure that the credit was added to my account including any taxes and she also assisted with getting my lines turned back on. I had to pay my past due of $420.00 which I did. I didn’t bother requesting the extension like I had planned on doing. She also said it was not my fault so I would not be liable for the reactivation fee for each line.

I’ve been a consistent loyal customer of Verizon Wireless for 20 years. In fact, it was a bit longer because I started the service with Bell which later became Verizon Wireless. (I may be wrong about the name Bell). During the entire 20 plus years, I have never made a fraudulent claim. Even though I sometimes pay a little late, I pay my phone bill every single month. There are many carries just as good a Verizon, but I have never changed. Although, I do expect better customer service and to be treated fairly and with respect. I don’t expect this because I’ve been a loyal customer for 20 years, every customer of Verizon wireless should be treated with respect and just as important and valued as any other client of theirs big or small.  

I hope my letter lands in the right persons hands and that not only do they read the entire letter but that they have a full understanding of it.

I’m hoping this billing issue with my account is resolved. I really don’t think I can handle another phone call with Verizon wireless. At least not for a long time.

Sincerely,

Bernadette (Full name removed per the Terms of Service)

Copy to:

Verizon Wireless HQ Dispute Resolution Manager

One Verizon Way, VC52N061

Basking Ridge, NJ 07920-1097

Copy to:

Verizon Wireless

Correspondence

P.O. Box 408

Newark, NJ 07101-0408

Copy to:

Verizon Wireless Montclair

Attn: Store Manager

5094 E N Montclair Plaza Ln

Montclair, CA 91763

Copy to:

Verizon Wireless Rancho Cucamonga

7825 Monticello Ave #1100

Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739

Copy to:

Apple Victory Gardens

12461 S Mainstreet

Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91739

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Poor Customer Service
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you very much for sharing your story. I'm so sorry to learn about what happened with your phone, and the other circumstances you mentioned. I am here to help you in any way I can. I will send you a Private Note, so we can begin. 

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes