Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Porting/Forwarding Verizon landline to Verizon Wireless and keeping BOTH numbers
johnandkathy84

I currently have both Verizon home services (phone, internet, cable) and Verizon Wireless.  We will be moving soon, and as we have had the home # for 29 years, we would like to keep it but on our wireless account.  However, we also do not want to give up the wireless numbers we have had for almost 20 years.  Is this possible?  Sort of call-forward the landline to our cell phone?  We just want to answer calls from the number-not make them.  For a couple years or until every family member, friend, and legit business have been given our cell #'s?  I do not want to have to carry around another device, so it's not really porting I guess, but not strictly forwarding as we will not be keeping the Verizon home service.  Anyone done something like this before with any success?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Porting/Forwarding Verizon landline to Verizon Wireless and keeping BOTH numbers
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Have you looked into porting the landline to Google Voice? 

Otherwise you will have to port the number to Verizon Wireless or another carrier on a new line of service. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Re: Porting/Forwarding Verizon landline to Verizon Wireless and keeping BOTH numbers
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

johnandkathy84, we want to congratulate you on your upcoming move! Making sure you are aware of your options to keep your Home phone number is important. Allow us the opportunity to assist. We do not offer an option to forward your Home phone number without the Home phone number being active on an account. Please review our Port process here https://vz.to/2Lkm0SX.

SylviaT_VZW

0 Likes
johnandkathy84

Based on the information I received from Google Voice, the number must be active with a "carrier".  GV is not a carrier themselves.  Maybe I will just open a separate pay-as-you-go account for the landline, port the number over, and keep that for a few months.

0 Likes
mama23dogs

@johnandkathy84 wrote:

Based on the information I received from Google Voice, the number must be active with a "carrier".  GV is not a carrier themselves.  Maybe I will just open a separate pay-as-you-go account for the landline, port the number over, and keep that for a few months.

Your active landline IS with a carrier, and can be ported to google voice.  Porting a number to Google voice Means that that phone number can be answered by anyone under the same Google voice account.   That means you could create a new Gmail and add it to each family members phone. And anyone can answer those calls.   Google voice is a virtual carrier, but if you choose to port the number back to a physical carrier like Verizon, the transaction is the same..  

0 Likes
johnandkathy84

Yes, I get that it is CURRENTLY with a carrier - Verizon - but I wanted to keep the number and not have it with a carrier, so I would not have to pay a monthly fee of $20 (or more). Google Voice might solve the forwarding part, but would still require me to keep the account active with a carrier, whether it was with Verizon or with a pay-as-you-go cell service.  Fortunately, I did find a company that can port my number over, forward all calls to my cell phone, and it will only cost $6 per month.  So I did find a solution I can be happy with.  Thank you for your response, it might help others in similar situations.

0 Likes
mama23dogs

You completely misunderstand google voice I think you are confusing it with Google Fi.  
Google Fi is an  actual cell service, and would require some kind of monthly service fee to keep the number.  NOT what I’m suggesting at all.

Google Voice is a virtual carrier. No you do not pay anyone else, and there is no monthly fee with a Google voice. Google voice has a one time $20 fee, and there after is free as long as you continue to use the number on a somewhat regular basis to collect your messages etc.

Google voice  is an app.  Just like Skype, only you can bring your landline number.  
If you created a new Gmail and signed up for Google voice with that Gmail account. Put both that Gmail account and your Google voice account on all of your cell phones, you would all get messages from your Google voice number (former landline number)

0 Likes
SMNMD

You can convert your current landline number to a business number and enroll in Remote Call Forwarding for Business (Call Verizon business at 855-372-4703). No physical location (e.g. your old home address) is required nor will it be linked to the phone number, once you make the change to the Remote Call Forwarding for Business. The Verizon Central Office location in your area will be the address associated with the number however, when people call the number it will automatically forward the calls to your cell phone number. Obviously there will be a monthly bill for the Remote Call Forwarding for Business, but you will be able to have both numbers and active and all calls made to the landline number will be forwarded automatically to the wireless number. You can keep both numbers.

0 Likes
mama23dogs

Google Voice is free after port. 

A business account certainly is not

0 Likes