Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Promotional $200 visa card scam
BrianWoG

Preface: I was a US Cellular customer, but due to thier questoinable tactics I only had one real alternative to switch to. Verison.

When i signed up at my local Washington, IA Verizon store, one of the last things i was told that I would be getting a $200 visa mc since i was switching from a competitor. AT NO TIME! did the local Verizon rep state that i had to buy a $500+ phone to be eligible.

They gave me my code to enter on yourdigitalrebatecenter.com site. it took the code and i then checked off and on for a month as it stated it will take time to process.

today i went and checked and low and behold. in nice red lettering it stated that i was not eligible since i did not purchase a $550 dollar phone. YAY!

After that confusing bit of information. i then proceeded to contact chat not once but twice asking what was the mess up on your end. was told the same thing the rebatecenter site said 'I was not eligible'.

After that contacted the rebate via phone where -that's right!- they told me the same thing and there was nothing they can do, except contat customer service and see if anything can be done.

I then called customer service where after the rep doing the best she could said they could offer a one time $75 credit to my account!!

I promptly denied that and asked her to send it to the complaint department as i it was not acceptible. The local Verizon store rep told me nothing about having to buy a $550 or more phone to get this $200 visa card for switching from their competitor.

Well the ball is in your court now Verizon. I was lied by the local store rep, the rebate reps, and customers service - even though they at least tried something but at LESS THAN HALF of what i should of recieved.

So for anyone else that may be switching from a competitor to Verizon, make sure you ask them specifically what is needed if they still offer that little "Bait and switch" card.

I"ll give Verizon a week to come up with a comparable $200 resolution to this, otherwise i may seek counsil to take this to the next step.

Sure it is only $200 but it is the principle that needs to stand here. Bad business practice Verizion. you are almost on par with US Cellular with the way in which you handled this.

Re: Promotional $200 visa card scam
BrianWoG

No official reply back yet?

Verizon you surely have seen the half dozen or more posts from other Verizon customers that had similar issues with your representatives stating they will receive a $200 gift card, yet they have not.

Did some reasearch and apparently there have been class action lawsuits against you for similar scamming behaviours.   one would think you have learned your lesson and honor future statements for customers who were told they would get the gift card.

again this is on principle.   $200 isn't a huge amount, but the tactics shown by copy/pasting pre made replies to chats and texts doesn't do Verizon any good in showing they appreciate new or current customers and deny them what they were told.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We are concerned to hear that the promotion you had expected to receive still has not been applied. This is definitely not the experience that we want for you to have, and we will be glad to look into the issue to get it corrected. By any chance do you have your Submission ID that way we can track the status of your claim? DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

BrianWoG,

The last thing we want is for you to feel like you've been scammed when it comes to this $200 rebate card, and I'm sorry for the lack of information at the time of purchase. We're here to take the next steps in getting a resolution in place for you so this is no longer a worry moving forward. We have sent you a Private Note, and we look forward to speaking with you soon about this. Please reply at your earliest convenience.

RyanC_VZW

0 Likes
jjmurray1789

I experienced the same scam by Verizon. My wife and I switched to Verizon during the labor day sale. We got buy one get one free XR phones and since we were switching we each qualified for $200 Visa gift cards. After a few months went by I thought it was too long for us to have not received the cards. I called Verizon a few times and waited far to long to get through to someone. In January I finally talked to someone and they said that to get the promotion we had to register online within the first 45 days of switching and that they could not help me. That was the rebate center and they told me to call customer service. My next call was to customer service. I spent an hour talking to someone (waiting on hold most of the time). She confirmed that the promotion at the time we switched included the $200 gift cards but she could not help me now since the promotion was over. I have all the paperwork we received the day we switched - it says nada about registering online for the promotion. I have switched to various phone and cable providers before and never had to "register", the gift cards are sent automatically. this is a complete scam by Verizon. I am so unhappy that I switched. If you don't fix this Verizon I am going back to ATT. I am hoping that posting here will help me get some resolution to this situation. You're up Verizon!

howardnguyen

I have been with Verizon for over ten years.  I actually never had been with any other carrier.  Reading about your experience with Verizon makes me wonder about the company integrity.  I am going to look into ATT and other options available out there.   As a consumer I find it disturbing to see this practice. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

That is never the experience we want you to have with us and want to turn this around for you. I know it is important to be able to get the offers you were promised and we want to see what else we can do to counteract this situation for you. Please meet us in a Private Note for further assistance. 

AnnaG_VZW

0 Likes
kathryn_d

Same here.   I was promised $200 in gift cards, one for each line which totaled to $800.  Not once was I told I needed a code.  A talk to a rep today and was told I should have received a code for each. I didn't.  I placed this order over the phone and the devices were sent to me.  Now according to rep promotion is over.   why??  I expect more from Verizon.   I am going to call again in the morning to see what I'm told but definitely seems like a scam at this point for me as well.  Very disappointed.  

Hannahmk

Welcome to Verizon. Reps lie, do not put issues into their notes for another to read, even if requested, and no one mentions the 'new line" hook up fee even if the device will have the same phone number. So much for the upgrade I thought I was eligible for because it is in my face every time I sign in. I had to google Verizon's phone number because their adds for new items are more important than providing service for what has already been purchased. Apparently they do not want phone calls,  either.

I would have switched years ago but the other companies have too many dead spots in my area. Pick your poison and good luck. 

Who lowered the bar?

0 Likes
Hannahmk

Did you give them 5gb of free data? That's your usual prize.

0 Likes