Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quoted a monthly price for service and monthly bill is 50 dollars a month higher...
tannerjohnston

I contacted Verizon through there online chat when I was looking at getting a new phone. The agent talked me into upgrading the 1 phone to a new S21, we also upgraded to the start unlimited plan. I was concerned about the price of the plan, the Verizon agent went through the discounts we would receive.

1) 25 dollars a month off for a loyalty discount

2)25- dollars a month off for a teachers discount

3)20 dollars a month off for enrolling in auto pay.

the agent gave us a estimated bill that was only a few dollars higher then our previous plan, now I'm looking at the second months projected bill and it is about 50 dollars higher then what the agent quoted us at. The frustrating thing is that I had 2 separate chats on 2 separate days with different agents and they both came up with the lower price for the monthly total. I have the chats printed out! I talked with a manager through the chat system yesterday and today, apparently they do not have access to those chats so can not verify that is what the agent said...I asked if I can scan and e-mail the chat to them and they said unfortunately that is not something that can be done.  Also applying the teachers discount with a loyalty discount is not something that can be done one any account as there system will not let them. I explained to them how we have been loyal customers with them for over 10 years, we felt like were were totally lied to by Verizon. 2 separate agents quoted us a price that was 50 dollars a month lower then what my actual bill will be!! and there best answer is "sorry, that information was incorrect"??

Re: Quoted a monthly price for service and monthly bill is 50 dollars a month higher...
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

Unfortunately, you got bad information.  Discounts cannot be stacked.  The only deals are on phones, with all conditions met of course.  It’s SOP with carriers.  
Verizon is responsible for providing accurate pricing on their website and it is those prices and available discounts that have to be honored.   It does not matter what you were told, if someone gave you pricing that is different from what is published for all to read on the website, it is not something Verizon is responsible for and they do not have to honor it.  Boys are representatives are supposed to repeat and give out the correct information as it is published on the website. They don’t have the right to go rogue.    Whoever gave out bad information should be retrained.  

This is no different than if you walked into a Walmart and ask someone what the cost of a product on the shelf was.  When the shelf price is $100 but the employee tells you it’s $50, and it rings up at $100 on the register, it is the legitimate $100 price that you pay.

The advertised price for two phone lines on the start unlimited plan is $60 each or $120. If the teachers discount is valid, that would take $25 off that base price.  That brings your base plan to $95.  
That does not include the taxes fees or the cost of the new phone.

The price on your new bill does not account for prorated charges which may account for the difference in price

0 Likes
Re: Quoted a monthly price for service and monthly bill is 50 dollars a month higher...
Doggo
Novice

Never heard of this "loyalty $25 off" discount you're referring to. A teacher discount is $25 off if you have 2 - 3 lines. Otherwise it's $10 for a single phone line or $20 (yes, it goes down) if you have 4 lines or more. Autopay would be $10 per phone line.

Next month's estimate bill quotes are also laughably inaccurate majority of the time.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

tannerjohnston, to clarify, it is correct that loyalty discounts cannot be stacked with another discount such as a teachers discount. May we ask when did you make the change to the new plan and phone upgrade? *Joshua

0 Likes
blinkkiwi

The same issue is happening to me now. I was told that I would get a trade in discount and an upgrade discount for each phone I upgraded when I switched to unlimited. The upgrade discount never came... Now I am paying hundreds of dollars more than I should be because a customer service rep lied to me and they "don't keep records of chat". Which is a cop out if I ever heard one. 

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

@blinkkiwi wrote:

The same issue is happening to me now. I was told that I would get a trade in discount and an upgrade discount for each phone I upgraded when I switched to unlimited. The upgrade discount never came... Now I am paying hundreds of dollars more than I should be because a customer service rep lied to me and they "don't keep records of chat". Which is a cop out if I ever heard one. 

Upgrade discount?  I don’t know what that is but I’ve never heard of any such thing.  It kind of makes me think there’s no such thing as an upgrade discount, literally no carrier has any such term.   There are discounts and all customers can take advantage of,  but that’s just not what they’re called.

If you participated in a trade-in deal by switching to an unlimited data plan the credits on your trade-in may take anywhere between two and four months from the time you traded in your old phone.

The other discount you (everyone) are eligible for is the auto pay and paperless billing with a debit card or checking account. This discount is $10 per line. Which means if you are using a credit card you don’t get the discount. If you never signed up for auto pay and paperless billing you don’t get the discount. If you are like myself and have five phone lines, that’s $50 a month you’re not getting discounts.

‘Read your bill.  

0 Likes
Lowcarb

Same thing is happening to me. 

At the start of Dec'21 I got into Chat with Verizon to tell them that they were too expensive (3 phones, 8gb shared plan  ~ $130/month ) .  All my phones are fully paid, no contract,  I told the rep that I was going to drop Verizon and go with service bundled to my cable provide (Verizon provided service) that would be $99/month (all in , taxes and fees included) for 3 lines.  I'd get more data for less $. 

The rep offered me a Loyalty discount that she said would give me unlimited data for about the same amount as what I was paying now.   I said that was nice, but that it was still 30% more than what the cable provider was offering.    Rep then asked if anyone in the household was a nurse or 1st responder?  I said yes.       

Verizon Agent: That's awesome!
Verizon Agent: Then you can apply for additional discount with unlimited plan.
Verizon Agent: and this will make your bill charges only $104 apprx.
Verizon Agent: How does that sound to you?

I said that was much better, close enough that I would not switch and she could sign me up.  
I registered for the Nurse discount and it went through. 
My Nov-Dec Bill was a mess, because the way Verizon does Billing it seems I'm charged for my old plan, Charged for my New plan, Partially credited for the portion of the period that my old plan didn't apply, partially credited for the portion of the period that my new plan didn't apply.   It's enough to make me puke at the thought of making any changes to my account!  
The important thing for me was that it did show BOTH of the discounts. 
55+ LOYALTY $25 DISC 3 PHONES     -$25.00
$25 NURSES DISCOUNT 2-3 PHNS     -$25.00

After getting the new service and being on an unlimited plan I was eligible for the Trade up deals that were being offered and I upgraded all three phones  (still waiting on one to be delivered after nearly a month) .

Now I'm looking at my projected January bill and it does show the Nurses Discount but it no longer shows the  55+ Loyalty 

I called Verizon last night and the rep, looked at my bills and then  told me that the 2 discounts were not stackable, so they they had removed one of them,  WITHOUT ANY NOTIFICATION TO ME.

Now my monthly bill (before phones, taxes and fees ) will be $140.  instead of the $104 that the chat rep told me it would be.   An on top of that there are $14/mo of fees and surcharges that come with Verizon being a teleco.   

So the rep was wrong.  She was wrong about the $104 double discount , but she was also it appears wrong about the single discount being $124/mo (my next bill says $140 before fees).

NET:   I was enticed to stay with Verizon by the offer that the rep presented and now Verizon has reversed that.  I'm going to pay $900 more per year to Verizon than I would getting the same level of service via the cable company.   Since I got new phones  (now I see who is really paying for those  trade-in / trade-up monies ) I'm under contract for 2.5 years.   

I would have been better off going with the cable company.   No strings, no contract.  No sending in the old phone and hoping they give you the trade in valuation.  

It seems to be a conscious effort by Verizon to make pricing and billing as confusing and complex as possible so that it is difficult to price compare .

I'm going to get the Verizon CC to mitigate this expense some but that means that I lose the free phone insurance that I got from the CC I'm currently using to pay my wireless bill. 

OLD    VZ plan ~       130/mo   3 lines   8GB  shared  data (with fees) 
Cable company        $99/mo   3 lines   unlimited data  (cable doesn't have the fees teleco does) 
1st VZ offer              $124/mo     3 lines  unlimited data  (loyalty )
2nd VZ  offer            $104/mo    3 lines unlimited data   (loyalty & nurse) 

What my next bill shows  ~$154/mo   (without fees $140) 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

It's important to have the correct information shared during all transactions, especially regarding your account changes, Lowcarb. We're more than happy to look further into your billing concerns. I've sent you a Private Note. Please reply at your earliest convenience. -Kia

0 Likes