Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Random Pop Data sessions?
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

This has happened two (maybe 3) times in the last week or so - I get a notification on my phoen that my Pop Data session has started ... but I didn't ask for one!!  We happened to be camping in Arizona at the time, and I never use Pop Data anyway.  Ahile later another notification that my Pop Data session had ended.

The same thing happened at least once more, but I never ordered a session, or even used it while I had it.  I have no need for Pop Data!!

Looking at my data hub on the Verizon app, the numbers for data used and data left don't add up. See attached screenshots:

Screenshot_20171021-094521.png  Screenshot_20171021-094528.pngInkedScreenshot_20171021-094549_LI.jpg

The individual #'s seem to be the most accurate, but they add up to close to 2 GB, and the plan data shows only 1 GB used.  But the hub graphic shows 2 - in any case we have plenty of data, but it's curious. 

And why does Pop Data keep popping up?  I can't see where I am being charged for it (if I am) but I don't have this month's bill yet.  It just seems odd.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
Re: Random Pop Data sessions?
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

OK, I just got my bill.  There is no charge for Pop Data, so that's good.  If it was an ad to try and get me to buy Pop Data it was a bit unsettling because it came across as if a session was currently active, and then ended awhile later.  Weird.

I also see that I have 1GB bonus data - possibly from NFL, watching live games and a free bonus GB to cover the commercial breaks? 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Suzy Q, we understand the benefit of pop data when you initiate a session not when you don't. Sorry to hear about the weird situation, glad to see that you checked the bill and weren't charged. Pop data will appear in your My Verizon app when a session is active for use, yes. But, did you get the notification when you accessed the Verizon App? Was your Verizon application fully up to date when this was occurring?

JoeyM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

... But, did you get the notification when you accessed the Verizon App? Was your Verizon application fully up to date when this was occurring?

JoeyM_VZW

Joey,

I don't remember now exactly when this popped up; it may have been while accessing the app. My app is usually up to date.  When these came in we were vacationing (camping) and had no wifi access, so if there was an update available at the time, I didn't get it till I had wifi again.

It hasn't happened since.  If it does I will note what apps, if any, I have open at the time and other details, if I think of it and am able to make notes when it happens.

0 Likes
NDianeQ

Joey, I had this happen to me just this morning. When I went to bed last night I checked my alarm and closed all of my apps. This morning on my phone was a notification that my popdata session was active..enjoy. I had not yet even heard of popdata. It was a notification showing on the left side that looked like a checkmark in a circle; initially I that it was the device care icon but until I did the pulldown and saw description.  

NDianeQ

Also, yes my phone is updated.