Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retrieving Old Phone Number
Thrash22

Good Evening,

I visited a Verizon authorized retailer and traded in a phone from my family's plan for a phone on my own plan. I was told that I could not keep my phone number, but did not have the opportunity to move any of my two-factor authentications over to the new number (the store closed shortly after activating my new device). The line was closed with my old number under my family's account and the store representative told me "it would be a hassle," to retrieve my old number.

When I reached out to customer service earlier today, I was told that I just needed to wait about 24 hours for the number to be available in Verizon's "Bucket," and that I could retrieve the old number. I understood there may be a charge for this, but was willing to pay whatever I needed to retrieve the number. I am currently locked out of my Veteran benefits and healthcare websites, which the representative understood was a serious issue, but assured me could be fixed.

I reached back out to customer service about four hours later, as instructed by the initial representative and was told that the number is gone forever. 

I desperately need assistance with this issue. I will pay whatever fee necessary to retrieve the number, even if I need to activate a new line to do so. I am a long-time Verizon customer, having trusted Verizon with my service before, during, and after my time in the military. This has been an extremely stressful situation and the inconsistent communication is frustrating. I don't understand why the initial customer service representative provided very specific instructions and information if this was not possible--she understood that the number was cancelled from the old account and that I wanted to change my number or add it to the new account.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Retrieving Old Phone Number
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you for all that information. Do you already have a new Verizon account set up? *Debbie

Thrash22

Yes I do. The old account is still active as well. @vzw_customer_support 

0 Likes
Thrash22

Good Morning,

I am going to keep reaching out to you @vzw_customer_support  this is a serious issue and I really need assistance.

I am locked out of my:

• Veterans benefits
  • Medical appointments/secured contact with my providers/pharmacy
  • Retirement account
  • Work benefits
  • Tax account
  • Two investment applications

Please reach out to me as soon as possible. I need my number back, whether I need to activate a new line or am able to change this one. 

Tags (1)
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thrash22, we are terribly sorry to hear about your experience. Making sure you are aware of your options to retrieve your old phone number is important. Allow us the opportunity to gather some details. Can you please clarify why you were informed that you were not able to keep your old phone number when you upgraded? When did you cancel this mobile number?  -Sylvia

Thrash22

Good Morning Sylvia,

The number was cancelled on 1/22. 

My father passed so my mother and I are consolidating accounts - I opened my own Verizon account and traded my old phone in for a new one on my own account.

The representative told me it was a hassle to move my number over after activating my phone and then getting ready to close up shop. 

When I reached out to customer service on 1/23 I was told I could retrieve the number once it became available in your “bucket” usually within 24 hours of deactivating the line.

0 Likes
Thrash22

I was in touch with live chat today and was told we have up to 50 days to reconnect a line after it has been disconnected. I was also told we could transfer the line from the family account to my own. 

I still have my mother follow up on the family account to reconnect and go from there. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We would be happy to check if this number is available with you. To allow us to do so, please leave us a Private Note here. We look forward to working with you soon.

*Robert

0 Likes
Thrash22

For anyone that needs to retrieve their number after disconnecting it, or trading their phone in:

You have up to 50 days from the date of disconnection to reconnect the line on the account it was disconnected from. If you do not specify, customer service will automatically reconnect the line on its original device--if you traded your device in, you will have to obtain a new SIM card and put it in a device to utilize your old number. This will cost approximately $20 plus tax.

If you reconnect a traded-in phone from another Verizon account, you will not be able to Transfer Service between Verizon accounts.

You can Transfer Service (transfer the line) between Verizon accounts, but attempting to replace a new line with your old number will invalidate your promotions evidently. For customers who wished to keep their Verizon number but moved to their own plan from a family's plan--you are going to lose your phone number.

If you are trading in a phone in a store and receive a new phone number, MAKE SURE YOU MOVE ALL OF YOUR TWO-FACTOR AUTHENTICATIONS OVER TO YOUR NEW NUMBER. Do NOT leave without making sure this is done, or having a backup phone to move the SIM over to. Trust me, you do not want to go through the stress I did (especially just to lose the phone number anyways).

acraftylady2

Did they give a reason why you couldn't keep your same number?  Never heard of that before.  

0 Likes