Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMS Gateway issues
dieselmachine2

I run an online labor-dispatch program which allows workers to receive job notifications via SMS. I use the Verizon gateway for this, and while there have been several patches of messages just "vanishing", for the most part the service has been fairly reliable.

Recently something changed, and somehow the employee replies to these text messages starting being directed to the bounce address of the original message. I went out and opened an account with Verizon solely to test what was going on, and discovered this:

When I send a message to <mynumber>@vtext.com, the message is delivered nearly instantly, and the sender shows as the 'From' address of the original message. I can reply to this, and the intended party receives it.

When I send a message to <mynumber>@vzwpix.com, the message takes a few minutes to arrive, and the originating address is the BOUNCE address (envelope sender) of the original message, NOT the from address. Attempting to reply to this message will cause the reply to go right to the bounce address, where it will get seen by no one. In addition, the message, originally less than 140 chars, has now bloated to 4K, and while it claims i can download it, I am unable to, so I have no idea what extra garbage was added to bloat it to 4K.

Something is wrong with the vzwpix.com gateway. If replies are being directed to the bounce address, there is a configuration error somewhere that needs to be fixed. How do I go about opening a support ticket for this? Please don't say "call out support line and battle your way through tier 1 support, who have no idea what the sms gateway is, and in a few hours you'll be able to (maybe) talk to the appropriate party".

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: SMS Gateway issues
Weth
Sr. Leader

I just tested this and it still works.

Must only contain text, less than 140 characters, no more than 10 numbers per email, no more than 10 emails per session

Vtext.com lets you send text messages to Verizon Wireless devices from your email. However, it's no longer available as a website that you can use to view and send text messages.

To send a text message from your email:

1. Create a new email.

1. Enter a 10-digit Verizon Wireless mobile number in the To field, and add "@vtext.com" (e.g., 9495551212@vtext.com).

1. Send the email and it will be delivered to the recipient's mobile phone as a text message.

Message length is limited to 140 characters, including the email address. Currently, Vtext.com messages can only contain text. Enhanced text messages can't be sent by email to a Verizon Wireless device using Vtext.com.

If you want to send and view messages from a website, you can use Verizon Messages. It's an enhanced messaging service that also syncs your messages across all your devices.

Note: If you have a business account and send high volumes of messages with Vtext.com, you should follow these guidelines:

• Use no more than 10 simultaneous SMTP sessions
  • Use no more than 10 emails per session
  • Use no more than 10 addresses per email

If you need to send larger amounts of messages, we recommend using Enterprise Messaginginstead.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hi dieselmachine2!

I'm sorry for any trouble in utilizing vtext.com for messages. I'd like to ask you if the same thing happens when you use the phone number of the person without the vtext.com ? I ask this because rgular SMS messages do not use data.

ChristinaB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dieselmachine2

My question is about the sms gateway. Removing the 'vtext.com' would mean a regular text message, which is not what I'm asking about. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in the title and content of my message. I am asking very specific questions about the gateways, not phone-to-phone text messaging. Only the gateways.

The main question is, "why is vzwpix.com routing replies to a bounce address, while vtext.com is routing to the correct address"?

The secondary question is "How do I fix this so users can actually reply to messages without having them funneled into the bounce mailbox?"

0 Likes
dieselmachine2

Hey, Customer Support.

It looks like you FORGOT to reply to my message with some sort of indication that you're taking the problem seriously and looking into the matter.

Or did you think you could just ignore it and I'd leave?

Where did you go? Get back here and provide some customer service, thanks!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We're here to help. To clarify, are you sending the messages through your Verizon Wireless residential email server as text?
KleoL_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
dieselmachine2

I am sending through a linux postfix server, via the postfix 'sendmail' command, to the gateway address. The server has SPF, reverse dns, and DKIM enabled.

And AGAIN I need to point out that this is irrelevant. You have 2 servers performing the same function, but routing replied to different fields in the original message. Replies to a message do NOT go to the bounce address. ERRORS and BOUNCES go to the bounce address. Not replies by humans, intended to be read by other humans.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hi dieselmachine2,

Thank you for providing all of that information. What I would like to do is determine if this is being used through your Verizon landline/FiOS serive, or your Verizon Wireless service.

ChristinaB_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dieselmachine2

This is the second time you've replied with questions that have absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

Please excuse yourself from this ticket and refer it to someone who isn't going to waste my time with asinine, impertinent questions. After 2 times, it's really hard not to perceive your actions as malicious.

Malicious or not, it's very clear that resolution is not ever going to be reached if responsibility remains in your hands, so please hand this off to someone who knows what vtext.com is, and doesn't have to ask if it's "fios or wireless". (hint for the future. if it involves vtext.com, it's ALWAYS WIRELESS. YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS IF YOU ARE GOING TO "TROUBLESHOOT" AN ISSUE SPECIFICALLY INVOLVING THE VTEXT.COM GATEWAY SERVER.)

I don't have words for how infuriating this is.

gongqin

I know this thread was a few months old, but I am experiencing the same issue.

I host a few summer swim teams and texting to Verizon numbers through vtext.com gateway used to work and it stopped working earlier this year. Can someone explain why this happened? I can guarantee that the messages were all legit sports team related, not spams.

If Verizon can tell us what are the rules and how to send messages to a group of users properly, that'd be great. I have searched all over the place for a long time but could not find a helping soul to make this clear.

Please help!

Thanks.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

I just tested this and it still works.

Must only contain text, less than 140 characters, no more than 10 numbers per email, no more than 10 emails per session

Vtext.com lets you send text messages to Verizon Wireless devices from your email. However, it's no longer available as a website that you can use to view and send text messages.

To send a text message from your email:

1. Create a new email.

1. Enter a 10-digit Verizon Wireless mobile number in the To field, and add "@vtext.com" (e.g., 9495551212@vtext.com).

1. Send the email and it will be delivered to the recipient's mobile phone as a text message.

Message length is limited to 140 characters, including the email address. Currently, Vtext.com messages can only contain text. Enhanced text messages can't be sent by email to a Verizon Wireless device using Vtext.com.

If you want to send and view messages from a website, you can use Verizon Messages. It's an enhanced messaging service that also syncs your messages across all your devices.

Note: If you have a business account and send high volumes of messages with Vtext.com, you should follow these guidelines:

• Use no more than 10 simultaneous SMTP sessions
  • Use no more than 10 emails per session
  • Use no more than 10 addresses per email

If you need to send larger amounts of messages, we recommend using Enterprise Messaginginstead.

0 Likes