Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scammed me out of my hard earned discounts
jaylahadley

I am beyond upset at this point. I have been with Verizon for about 10 years whether with my mothers plan prior to me being 18 and on my own plan after that. I always felt they offered the best service for a decent price and customer service was their #1, which is important to me. When I was 17 I enlisted in the military and while I was in I received a discount on my bill (20%). I always had to renew my discount annually and never had any issues up until I got out in 2013. Since then, Verizon has been nothing but a nightmare. I was under the assumption that as a veteran I would still get some sort of discount and when I attempted to validate they no longer allowed me to receive my discount. I talked to many different people both on the phone and when I was asked to bring paperwork into a store I talked to the reps there. They continued to tell me that only active duty military receives discounts and I was not eligible. Although I do not agree with that I assumed that was there way of saving money. Well come to find out this whole time I could have been getting the discount and they simply lied to me and never submitted my DD-214 that I gave to them. Its been about 2 and 1/2 years now and this whole time while I was struggling to transition from military to civilian both financially and emotionally, I could have had my discount. That would have helped me out a lot when I was late paying my bill die to unemployment on 2013 or when I had to file bankruptcy in 2015 and this whole time I feel that Verizon turned a blind eye knowing they were basically hiding my discount from me. I feel like a was scammed, actually, I know I was scammed. After reading all these discussion boards with similar stories I feel even worse. I called and they do nothing, I go into the store and they do nothing and now I am ready to leave the company and go to another provider. This is ridiculous. I am a veteran of the US Navy and I feel that Verizon took advantage of me. Not cool Verizon, not cool. Its only now that I landed a job with another company who receives discounts that I am finding out this whole time I was eligible. I want this fixed.

Sincerely,

One very pissed off customer

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Scammed me out of my hard earned discounts
kaebfly
Leader

Are you wanting them to retroactively give you credit for the the time you weren't receiving the discount? I don't think they will do that but you can always ask. Worse case scenario they say no. Not much anyone on this peer to peer forum will be able to do to assist with this but maybe a Verizon rep will reply and offer to look at your account. Hope you're able to get some resolution

0 Likes
jaylahadley

Thank you so much for replying. I never even thought of that but they should, your right. I hope they contact me. I am headed to another provider to talk new service after work. Problem is financially getting new service and the required phone is expensive and I don't have the money to be out for that plus the cost of cancelling my contract.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

jaylahadley, thanks for lifting up your concerns to review further. I have sent you a Private Message to personally review this and assist you further. Thanks so much for your service to our country and your many years of loyal service!

KristieQ_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

jaylahadley

Veterans discounts are applied to qualifying accounts, I believe over $34/35.   If you are on a single line and reduced the plan after you came home, it may not be eligible because it doesn't meet the minimum.

I thank you for your service.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader
0 Likes
jaylahadley

My service is far over the minimum. There is no excuse and now the rep that was "helping" me is MIA.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

AS long as it's in your name, you should have no more problems.

IT isn't unusual for valid discounts to be "lost" when account changes are made.  Just keep an eye on it down the road.  Tikibar posted links which should get the discount added on your own.  I don't know why the rep is awol.   Perhaps got er done, but didn't communicate it to you.  There are no excuses, can't answer for the employees

cystokyd

verizon wanted me to send my DD214 to a forigen country where thier reps are. When I refused I was told I would not get a veterans discount. They also wanted me to upgrade to thier highest plan in order to get a discount which would end up coasting me 80.00 more per month. Verizon uses Mltary Discount to scam us into payong more and making millions. 

0 Likes
cystokyd

Verizon Offes discounts to a specific group that do not have to provide any documentation, do not have to have a certian plan all they have to do is have a piticular ethniticity and have come accross the southern border illeagally. To Verizon and other companoies these are the real brave heros not us blockheads that joined the military. I know some wont believe this but it is true. 

0 Likes