Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Small Amount of Data Usage
Brandy63

While checking my data usage I have notice VERY small amounts of usage at times I may be sleeping or when I know I have been riding my bike. When checking my phone there are no notifications, calls, etc.  What would be causing this? This is even happening at home when my phone should be using our wifi. 

0 Likes
Re: Small Amount of Data Usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Brandy63, Your Verizon Wireless experts are here to assist. 

Any data that's used while your device is connected to the Verizon mobile networks uses your monthly data allowance.

Check the notification bar on your device to see if you're connected to the Verizon networks. If you see 5G Ultra Wideband, 5G Nationwide, 4G LTE, 3G or 1X, you're connected to our networks.

When you're connected to our networks and access the internet, watch a video, check your email, play games, use apps (e.g., Facebook®, Twitter®, Maps etc.) and more, you use your monthly data allowance. Background tasks, such as syncing or location services, may also use your data.

Data usage is billed based on the amount of data sent and received (megabytes or gigabytes), and it can be charged per-use or as part of a data package.

Some device activities can consume large amounts of data:

• Streaming audio or video using apps such as Pandora®, Spotify®, Netflix® and YouTube™
  • Using social media or websites with lots of pictures/updates such as Facebook®, Twitter®, Instagram® or Pinterest®
  • HD video calling
  • Downloading music/MP3s
  • Backing up content with cloud storage and/or file sharing tools such as Verizon Cloud, Dropbox™, or Google Drive
  • Using your device as a Mobile Hotspot and allowing other devices to access the internet from it

Indirect data usage occurs in the background, during tasks performed automatically by your device. Some examples of indirect data usage are:

• Automatic backups of pictures or videos
  • Software updates
  • App content refreshes
  • Syncing and location services

Does this information help in answering your question? 

-Nicci

0 Likes