Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
'Sorry you cannot add media to your message'
DALMAU18

Messages are failing, giving this error, when sending to one single contact (spouse phone on the same account).  It does work if I put this contact in a group.  When trying to send to any other contacts, it includes the spouse in the text even though it wasn't added to the recipient list.

My phone is a Galaxy S7.  Probably started happening when the spouse got a new Galaxy S9 and the phone number was transferred from the S7 to the S9.  S7 was changed to use a different number.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 'Sorry you cannot add media to your message'
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

It's very strange that this is occurring with your spouse's contact information, DALMAU18. To clarify, does your spouse have any issues with messages failing on their device?

Which message app are you using? When your spouse's S7 was changed to use a different number, was a factory reset performed?

Andrea_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DALMAU18

No issues on the spouse's new S9.

App: Message+ Version 6.6.7

No factory reset performed on the old S7. Store personnel switched the number.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Getting such an odd error can be upsetting, DALMAU18. You are with the right team to help sort this out. I’d like to offer to save you some time. While you could attempt to delete or disable app by app, it’s been my experience that a factory data reset is much more efficient. It’s recommended to do two in a row, in fact, so that you can be sure no information is “left over” from when the phone was programmed to her line. Here are the steps to perform a factory reset: http://spr.ly/6582DtuYr Please keep us posted with the results.

George_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SE3168

While a factory reset will most certainly correct your issue mayI offer a less drastic alternative to nuking your phone.

My wife was having a similar issue on a refurbished replacement S8+ using message+.  One contact could only recieved text messages in a group and not as an individual.

I deleted and recreated the contact from the phone, cloud,  cleared cache, and switched between messaging apps,  which did work on the basic message app but i prefer message+, but on message+, she could not send an individual text message.  After some Googling this is what worked for me.  Some of the steps may be unnecessary but I tend error on the side of caution so I don't loose data.

1) Make sure your contacts are saved in Google.

2) Open the basic messenger app and set to default.

3) Go to Settings -> Apps and disable message+.

4) Uninstall message+ updates.

5) Go to Play Store and install message+.

6) Open message+ app and set to default.

My wife is now able send texts to this individual.

My best hypothesis for the cause of this issue is that this particular contact had both a mobile and land line number.  Somehow at some point the interface between messenger+ and contacts got corrupted and individual text messages was trying to use the land line number and not the mobile number.  Given the error message, that would make some sense since a "text" message is a media, from the perspective of a land line, that could not be added.

DALMAU18

Thanks so much!  This resolved my issue.  Thanks for such a simple non intrusive solution.

0 Likes
MCSEINMAINE

This worked for me as well.  I had the same issue the original poster had.  Thanks to you both!

0 Likes