Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
State Taxes not refunded on new devices that have been returned.
MD50

Since March 2021, I have been either on the phone or on chat with VZ reps for over 25 hours , trying to purchase then troubleshoot a new phone.  The 1st phone was a Samsung 21+ that would drop or not place calls, texts etc.  At best the phone/service worked about 70% of the time when I needed it.  After several SIM card changes, phone swap-outs etc., in July 2021 I was given the opportunity to purchase an entirely different phone; I opted for a Motorola.  At that time, I was only refunded for the cost of the device itself and was told VZ could not refund the taxes ($61.20) because I was outside the 14 day timeframe.  The was a timeframe that they/VZ exceeded by stringing me along for months; all while I was paying for service that did not work. The Motorola phone came and was to have been brand new at a cost of $869.99 and $52.20 in taxes.  When the phone arrived it was NOT brand new; the box was open, the charger had obviously been used, the protective film was not on the screen and, the phone was on. I immediately called VZ and reported this and was given the run around and again, was told the taxes would not be refunded! This time rather than saying I was outside the 14 day timeframe (because I only had the phone for 5 mins), I was told per VZ policy the taxes could not be refunded as it was a "State Tax thing."  I confirmed with Maryland State Comptroller and Sale/Use/Tax offices that this is not the case and is illegal. VZ and any other merchant selling goods in MD are required to return the taxes paid if the item has been returned to the merchant. At this point I am owed refunds for taxes paid on devices that were returned totaling $113.40 ($61.20 & $52.20).  I am prepared to file a complaint with The State Of Maryland Comptroller Sales & Use tax, as well as Consumer Protection and BBB.  It should not be this hard to refund the correct amount of money on an item as the sales tax laws dictate.

0 Likes
Re: State Taxes not refunded on new devices that have been returned.
Doggo
Novice

A Verizon return back then would have been 14 days or you're stuck with it for the full term with exceptions being terminal illness or death. If you weren't charged the $50 restocking off on top of policies already being bent for you, Verizon would only owe you $11.20 of that $61.20.

If you were charged the restocking fee, I can see the full $61.20 being valid. Ignoring personal feelings for Verizon, at the end of the day you were given an exception to policies. They already went above and beyond. Carriers don't make money on phones, that phone they absolved payments on is written up as a loss. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you for such detailed information, MD50. As a valued customer, your account's billing concerns are our concerns too.  Congrats on getting your new phone and we certainly want you to enjoy it. Hearing that you didn't receive a brand new phone is quite disturbing. I'd be disappointed too if this happened to me.  We've also noted your reference to having spoken with several Vreizon representatives about this matter, as well as your reference to the 14-Day Worry Free Guarantee for returns, refunds, and exchanges.

Did you know that Verizon now offers a 30-Day Worry Free Guarantee grace period? Verizon now has a 30-day Worry-Free Guarantee grace period for purchases made before June 9, 2021 for returns, exchanges, or refunds (Before this date, Verizon had a 14-Day grace period).

To view more info about our Return Policy, please visit our website at https://www.verizon.com/support/return-policy/. -Robert C.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

MD50, this is certainly not the experience we want for you. We've also noted you reference to taxes and charges. We always want to provide accurate information for our customers. You can view more info ab out taxes and surcharges for Verizon by visiting our website at https://www.verizon.com/support/fixed-service-charges-legal/. We also provide access to our taxes and surcharges Estimator tool at https://www.verizon.com/support/taxes-and-surcharge-estimator/

We'd be more than glad to continue working with you. How does this work for you? -Robert C.

0 Likes
MD50

To vzw_customer_support: Please re-read my posts.  The, what was supposed to be a "new" phone was returned as have all of the phones that were sent to me.  I am aware of the Worry Free guarantee but it was a complete failure and the entire 4 month, 5 phone, 26hours on the phone with VZ was anything but worry free.  

Again, my issue is that VZ is keeping taxes paid, and refusing to rend them for items that were returned timely, and at the express direction of VZ.  

0 Likes
MD50

Robert-C, 

I have been trying to work with VZ for months and for almost 2 months on getting taxes refunded for items that were returned. That being said if you can assist with this, please contact me so we can try and put this to rest.  Thank you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

MD50, we are sorry to hear about your experience and we want to make sure you receive a resolution. Allow us the opportunity to review the details. We have sent you a Private Message. Can you please respond to that message? Thank you.  -Sylvia

0 Likes
MD50

Sylvia,  I have checked my NOTIFICATIONS and there are no messages; private or otherwise. Please advise where the message was sent that you are referring to.  Thank you, Claudette Moser

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Sorry for any confusion! We definitely want to get to the bottom of this for you. We have sent you a Private Note so we can look into your account securely, which should appear in your Private Notes.

*Breanna

0 Likes
MD50

Please advise where these Private Messages and Notes are being sent?  I spent over an hour online with cust service again this morning and they have no idea what I am talking about and finally said I need to install Message ++ in order to receive messages from VZ. 

0 Likes