Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stop converting text messages to email
NMTech

Last fall, a few text messages began showing up as a .txt attachment on email ... I tracked it for awhile.

I have an iPhone XR (Send and receive is set to phone only)

The senders are mostly Samsung users, although today an iPhone user happened to appear.

We all work in the same department and have Verizon as our carrier.

Mostly group messages.

The text messages come to my work email, which is crazy because my apple ID is private email. Mail app is not in use. Outlook is downloaded on my phone.

It's random, or seemingly so. Today I received three messages from one user (Samsung). Two went through fine, the third (when combined with another user) went to text. An iPhone user replied, and that too went to text.

Hope Verizon finds an answer to this issue. I don't believe this is a phone setting but rather a Verizon issue.

0 Likes
Re: Stop converting text messages to email
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We understand the confusion and annoyance of receiving some texts via email. We want to help in any way possible. Can you please go to Settings>Messages>Send & Receive and configure your settings to ensure that new conversations are starting with your phone number rather than email address. Any changes will take effect going forward with new messages.

JoshuaC_VZW

0 Likes
NMTech

I already verified that setting prior to posting ... Only my cellphone number is listed. Email is grayed out.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you for checking the settings. Can you send us a screenshot of how the conversation appears on your device? Please block any personal content. 

RogerZ_VZW

0 Likes
rcwilson2020

This is happening to tons of your customers, me included, and has been going on for months and months.  The Verizon techs here online invariably express concern that this is frustrating, cheerfully offer to "get to the bottom of this mystery", and then ask some deflecting, tedious question, like "What was the phase of the moon, day of the month, month of the year, hour and minutes past midnight, when this started happening?" or "What was the longitude, latitude and elevation of the sending and receiving phone at the exact moment of this behaviour?" or "What is the make/model/serial number/software release/last software update/factory of origin/complete configuration/case color/date of manufacture of each phone involved in the message-to-email problem?".  Then there is never any useful follow-up or answer.  These deflecting questions are more frustrating than the original problem.  Bottom line - it happens all the time.  It doesn't matter if the sending or receiving phone is iPhone or Samsung or Android or what version or release the phone or software is.  It doesn't matter how the contact is set up on the sending or receiving phone, it isn't operator error, it has nothing to do with the users being "novices". 

How about a stab at an actual answer, Verizon techs?  You have plenty enough information to solve this.  It's your buggy software that is converting the message to an email from [email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service].  YOU DON'T NEED ANY MORE INFORMATION TO FIND OUT WHAT SET OF CONDITIONS CAUSES *YOUR* SOFTWARE TO MAKE THIS CONVERSION.  LOOK AT THE SOFTWARE AND FIGURE OUT THE VARIABLES THAT TRIGGER THE PROGRAMMED ROUTINE THAT DOES THIS UNWANTED CONVERSION.  YOUR SOFTWARE PROGRAMMERS INTENTIONALLY IMPLEMENTED THIS BEHAVIOR AS A FEATURE.  DO YOUR JOB, INSTEAD OF REFLEXIVELY TRANSFERRING WORK BACK ON YOUR CUSTOMERS.  IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA OF THE ANSWER OR HOW TO FIND IT, YOU NEED TO ESCALATE THE QUESTION TO SMARTER VERIZON TECHS AT A HIGHER LEVEL, NOT ASK ANNOYING, STALLING QUESTIONS OF YOUR CUSTOMERS.  POOR, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

PediEyeDoc

I had a very similar problem that I think I have solved. Whenever I replied to a group text that my children started, the reply to one of them was always converted to her phone number at VTEXT.com. On my childrens' phones my reply always went into a separate thread. I noticed that whenever I replied to one of their group texts or replied individually to the daughter in question, even though I entered only her phone number, the moment I hit the send button it was converted to an email in the @VTEXT.com format. What I then did was I searched all of my messages for EVERY message where her phone number @VTEXT.com or VZWPix.com and deleted it. For good measure I rebooted the phone and the problem seems to have disappeared (so far!). It seems to me that whoever designed the Messages app (blue icon) that comes with Samsung Verizon phones programmed it so that whenever you enter a naked cell phone number it looks for any previous instances or uses of that number in prior messages with the VText.com or VZWPix.com domain and, for some reason, converts it to an email. I hope this helps everyone out there who is having a similar issue.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We appreciate the feedback, PediEyeDoc. Help is also at your fingertips with the My Verizon app. Have a great day, and thanks for being the best part of Verizon Wireless!

TracyB_VZW

0 Likes
Pikster1

Why are customers having to solve Verizon’s software problems?

0 Likes
mathguy0604

I've had this happen and what I've found is that the originator of the text has sent the text to my email contact information instead of my phone number.  Look at the contact details and make sure that isn't the issue in your case.  I'm not saying this solves all of what people are experiencing but it was the cause of my issue.

0 Likes