Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Strange phone call
fanofedgar

I received a voice mail from someone who I do not know who called me by name saying I called her.  I do not know her.  Have never called the number.  What spooked me was she knew my name.  I am not returning her call.  She said she didn't know why I called her.  She said she doesn't know me.  Has this happened before?

0 Likes
Re: Strange phone call
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Your number was most likely to have been spoofed. As for how they knew your name, it might be possible that your name is available in the public information about your phone number in some shape or form. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
fanofedgar

I was kind of afraid of that but I don't know how to make my number private.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

This sounds like a case of caller ID Spoofing. It is a common issue. Please let us know if this issue continues. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hi Fanofedgar,

Caller ID spoofing is the process of changing the Caller ID to any number other than the actual calling number. Caller ID spoofing happens when a caller knowingly falsifies the info transmitted to disguise the number they're calling from. Click here for more information on Called ID Spoofing https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218765/#:~:text=Caller%20ID%20spoofing%20is%20the,num...

Does this help? 

0 Likes