Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stuck with LG V20 after forced to return note7
KEVGAM75

So I had to return the note7which I absolutely loved. I asked for a note5but they said they weren't available so they steered me to the LG. Is a terribly slow, unintuitive phone that they lost all my saved convos and recordings and records from apps my Samsung's have had since 2010.

Also I was forced to pay tax for a phone i didn't want when I already paid it on the note7. Why? I want a refund.

Worse yet, my upgrade interval was reset once again when I got this brick. That's not right.

I need help to get out of this phone and to get an s7 so I can get back to the ease of use and comfort. This [Removed] is so difficult to type on it takes me forever to use for msgs and writing. The Swype is atrocious.

What can you do for a 20year long customer with 5open lines?

profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Stuck with LG V20 after forced to return note7
mama23dogs

Verizon didn't make the Note 7 or the V20, they are only the retail seller. 

Verizon, or any other cell carrier, is responsible for your cellular service and billing.  They are not responsible for the phones, tablets or other merchandise they did not make.

The Note 7 was a ticking time bomb, just a matter of time before the battery would burst.  This was entirely Samsung's problem.

You had 14 days to return the LG and get a different phone.  (With restock fee)

Verizon has every right to insist you pay off this phone.  You can then sell it to help finance a different one.  Or trade it in for what ever you can get for it.  Since its a recent phone, the trade in should be high.

To explain the Device payment plan.  It's a retail sales agreement, not a lease or rental.  The phone is yours, you have to pay for it.   Verizon doesn't owe you a phone or to allow you an "upgrade" when you are already under a device payment plan,  you cant have more than one DPP on a line. 

The warranty on the phone is with LG, not Verizon.   You will have to persue LG for a remedy and can take it as far as you like with them. 

It may not seem fair, but this is the way it is.  If you bought a TV and it was defective, you would have to deal with its manufacturer.   The retail seller s not responsible.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ChrisDG74

I'm in the same boat(kind of).

I had a Note 7 and had to get the V20. I have had issues with overheating and severe battery drain since about 2 weeks after I got the phone.

The issue boils down to apps not actually closing when you close them. It's not app specific. Facebook, stock Chrome, the stock calculator, the stock weather app, SongPop and others have all caused the issue.

You close the app, and the phone immediately starts getting hot and the battery starts draining, 2-3% a minute.I have to go into settings and force stop the last app I used, to get it to cool back down. After exhaustive troubleshooting, VZW sent me a refurbished V20. It did the exact same thing, so I sent my original V20 to LG to fix. They had it for 10 days. I got it back, and that same night, it did it again. So, it is on its way back to LG, for them to fix again....

VZW refuses to let me out of this phone, unless I pay it off(why would I pay an additional $600+ on a phone that doenst work?) and LG won't do anything other than try to "fix" this P O S of a phone. We've done factory resets, wiped the phone, etc. They want me to use the phone, WITH NO APPS INSTALLED, and see what it does. What's the point of having a smartphone if you can't use it the way it's supposed to be used??

So, if this "fix" doesn't fix the phone, either LG or VZW will take the phone off my hands, at no cost to me, and let me get a different phone, or I will take my 3 lines and 12 years of service to another carrier.

mama23dogs

Verizon didn't make the Note 7 or the V20, they are only the retail seller. 

Verizon, or any other cell carrier, is responsible for your cellular service and billing.  They are not responsible for the phones, tablets or other merchandise they did not make.

The Note 7 was a ticking time bomb, just a matter of time before the battery would burst.  This was entirely Samsung's problem.

You had 14 days to return the LG and get a different phone.  (With restock fee)

Verizon has every right to insist you pay off this phone.  You can then sell it to help finance a different one.  Or trade it in for what ever you can get for it.  Since its a recent phone, the trade in should be high.

To explain the Device payment plan.  It's a retail sales agreement, not a lease or rental.  The phone is yours, you have to pay for it.   Verizon doesn't owe you a phone or to allow you an "upgrade" when you are already under a device payment plan,  you cant have more than one DPP on a line. 

The warranty on the phone is with LG, not Verizon.   You will have to persue LG for a remedy and can take it as far as you like with them. 

It may not seem fair, but this is the way it is.  If you bought a TV and it was defective, you would have to deal with its manufacturer.   The retail seller s not responsible.

0 Likes
ChrisDG74

In my case, the overheating/battery drain issue started on about day 20. I went back and checked. I got the phone 10/22, and the issue first presented itself 11/11, so your argument is invalid in my case, as I was already out of that 15 day window.

You are also incorrect with your TV analogy. I bought a TV from Best Buy a few years back. About 2 months later, the audio jack stopped working. Took the TV back to the store and got another one. The manufacturer was never involved. And, no, I did not buy any extended warranty/protection plan.

0 Likes
mama23dogs

This is not an argument.  This is how it is with all cell carriers.  Once you pass the return period, you are under the warranty with LG.  Frankly, LG no longer gives a darn.  They had so many boot loop complaints they just gave up. 

If Best Buy took back a TV, fine.  They didn't have to.  If they want to make an exception that's their business.  

Cell carriers cannot afford to pay for the mistakes or defects they didn't make.  The burden has to fall on the manufacturer. 

LG has made 4 flagship phones and every one has problems.  They need to be held accountable. 

If the cell carriers expanded the return period it might help.  But people return phones because they want another color. 

What we need is a smartphone lemon law. 

0 Likes
KEVGAM75

Its a completely different situation because I was forced to turn my other phone in, and also that the upgrade period started over, which is totally crazy since I didn't want a new phone. This phone freezes all the time, especially typing, and overheats more than my s7 ever did. If I had bought this phone normally I would agree, but as a loyal customer for 20years with,probably 20k spent, I want some help. And why I was forced to put money out of pocket for a new phone when I was forced to get out of it is insane as well.

Until I find a way to get a new cell phone, this one is garbage and I'll use my old s5. At least it worked and didn't drop calls.

Btw, when you sell something, it is your problem. I sell cars and if I made a customer return a car, I would expect to help them out for their next one.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I completely understand your frustration with the Note7 KEVGAM75, and we do appreciate your 20 years of loyalty. I too was using a Note7 and was effected by the recall. We definitely want you to have a reliable phone to enjoy out service. As mama23dogs mentioned we don't manufacture devices but we do assist the manufacturer in support of those devices. You also mentioned when you were able to exchange a TV at Best Buy, and while I cannot speak to their policies I can assure you Best Buy worked with the manufacturer on your behalf to recoup that loss. That said we do offer a manufacturers warranty replacement program, but we would need to exhaust all troubleshooting before we are able to offer a warranty replacement which would be the same make & model phone.

Let's do some troubleshooting with your device to find out why it is performing so slowly. When did these issues first start happening? You mentioned dropped called, is text and data working? What zip code?

JosephE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
mama23dogs

KEVGAM75 wrote:

Its a completely different situation because I was forced to turn my other phone in, and also that the upgrade period started over, which is totally crazy since I didn't want a new phone. This phone freezes all the time, especially typing, and overheats more than my s7 ever did. If I had bought this phone normally I would agree, but as a loyal customer for 20years with,probably 20k spent, I want some help. And why I was forced to put money out of pocket for a new phone when I was forced to get out of it is insane as well.

Until I find a way to get a new cell phone, this one is garbage and I'll use my old s5. At least it worked and didn't drop calls.

Btw, when you sell something, it is your problem. I sell cars and if I made a customer return a car, I would expect to help them out for their next one.

There was a ton of fuss over being able to upgrade to the GS8 when it releases if a customer upgraded to another phone.  The best option was to take a full refund on the Note 7 and go back to an old phone if available.   That would have restored the upgrade status. 

As for your car analogy.  Who backs the warranty?  The dealership?  No.  The manufacturer.  In fact most brag about the manufacturer warranty.  The manufacturer pays the dealerships and determines what is and is not covered.  That is exactly the case here. 

The difference for car buyers is there is a lemon law.  

You can keep asking Verizon for a warranty replacement until you get a working device. 

0 Likes