Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stupid question: I need a new phone. Can I just buy a new one from Apple & put my SIM card in it, or do I *have* to do a Verizon upgrade?
Cinnamon16

I have an iPhone 7 I bought in February 2017, and it's finally starting to have issues due to age/usage. I'd like to buy a new iPhone 13 without trading my current phone in; can I just buy a new one from Apple and put my SIM card in it? Or do I need to go through Verizon's "upgrade"/trade-in process? I don't see any tangible benefit to upgrading through Verizon, the days of discounted phone offers are long gone.

0 Likes
Re: Stupid question: I need a new phone. Can I just buy a new one from Apple & put my SIM card in it, or do I *have* to do a Verizon upgrade?
sam-the-gam

Yes you can buy directly from Apple. 

0 Likes
Re: Stupid question: I need a new phone. Can I just buy a new one from Apple & put my
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello, Cinnamon16. This is an excellent question. You can purchase Verizon branded iPhone straight from Apple's stores or website. You can also purchase an unlocked iPhone from Apple as well. Now for the SIM Card, you will need a 5G SIM Card as the iPhone 13 would be a 5G device. We can order you a 5G Card and have it delivered to your address at not cost, so you will be ready for your new phone when you purchase it. *Cassie

0 Likes
Re: Stupid question: I need a new phone. Can I just buy a new one from Apple & put my
Ann154
Expert
Expert

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

Hello, Cinnamon16. This is an excellent question. You can purchase Verizon branded iPhone straight from Apple's stores or website. You can also purchase an unlocked iPhone from Apple as well. Now for the SIM Card, you will need a 5G SIM Card as the iPhone 13 would be a 5G device. We can order you a 5G Card and have it delivered to your address at not cost, so you will be ready for your new phone when you purchase it. *Cassie

If OP doesn't already have a plan that can utilize the 5G network or they are in a good 5G network location, I don't see why they have to get a new SIM card until they are ready to access the 5G network. A 4G LTE SIM card should work just fine in a new phone for the time being. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes