Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
TRADE-IN incentive must be a scam!
JessiMac1530

My husband and I switched carriers for the first time ever not long ago, to Verizon. We had shopped around and priced plans as well as promotions and incentives. We both had iPhone 5c's in excellent condition. We kept one for our children to use like and iPod, and we traded mine in for the "supposed" $300 trade-in value which was the promotion at the time, to be applied to our account, or to a Verizon electronic gift card. I opted for the GC since my husband pays the bill, and he said I could have the GC for accessories for my new iPhone 6s Plus, since it was MY phone we traded in.

Verizon says wait 1-2 billing cycles to receive the credit payment. It has been close to 2. I just checked our account, and it says they ONLY gave us the Final Trade In Value of $54.00, and the reason given was "Adjustment Reason: The screen is not free of cracks and/or is not functioning properly."

I am infuriated! On the contrary I PAID quite a bit of money to have a brand new screen installed on that phone just prior to considering it for a trade-in, and continued to use it with the new screen, and it functioned perfectly. I was essentially a brand-new screen, with not even the first blemish or sign of wear. And our phones have always been in the most expensive protective Otter Boxes, with the most expensive protective screen protectors as well!

I feel like I have been totally hoodwinked. I used the trade-in packaging Verizon provides, & packaged exactly as directed. I feel like they can just say whatever they want when they receive your phone, and you'll never know the real truth. They received a perfect iphone 5c for which they promised $300, and I just lost $246 in the deal. I could have sold my phone myself for at least triple what they paid us, especially since it was in such fantastic condition. And now of course I can't even get my phone back. Oh but how I wish I could, so I could PROVE not a thing was wrong with that phone!

It took a lot of convincing to get my husband to FINALLY change carriers after all these years.... and this is how we're welcomed? It just terrible. Very disappointed. Looking at other companies who do contract buy-outs, just based on principal. If anything at ALL was wrong with my device, it happened in transit, OR they damaged it themselves. I hate to say that and hate to believe it's true....but what my husband said is more true - "Anyone will do anything to get your business." That's sad. Lesson learned: Do not believe promotional incentives. There's always a catch or a problem.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: TRADE-IN incentive must be a scam!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

JessiMac1530,

I want to make sure you are getting the best service experience. Getting the promotion that was promised to you is important to us. Just to clarify, you stated that the screen was replaced with another one. Where did you have this completed? If this was not completed at a Apple location this voids the warranty and also reduces the tradein value of the phone.

JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

dealmein
Novice

You can file a Notice of Dispute with Verizon - just do a search and you can find the form online.  Send it certified mail with signature and return receipt requested so you have proof they received it and on what date they received it.

Then if they don't respond or won't resolve this to your satisfaction, on day 31 after they receive the NOD you can file for AAA arbitration, indicate to Verizon in writing that you can't pay the arbitration fees so that they have to pay them and you can select in-person arbitration.  They will likely give you the $300 rather than having to pay for arbitration.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

JessiMac1530,

I want to make sure you are getting the best service experience. Getting the promotion that was promised to you is important to us. Just to clarify, you stated that the screen was replaced with another one. Where did you have this completed? If this was not completed at a Apple location this voids the warranty and also reduces the tradein value of the phone.

JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

sprmankalel
Leader

I believe that the promotion always says "up to" and never guarantees a specific amount.

It could have been due to the fact that you had a 3rd party repair on the screen. Then, when they received it to make sure that it was in proper order, they discovered this and this is what dinged you.

dealmein
Novice

No that is not how it works.  If you get a $300 appraisal like OP got then you get $300 for the phone unless it is not in good condition.

sprmankalel
Leader

And not in good condition includes aftermarket parts.

dealmein
Novice

No it doesn't.  You just made that up.  The screen simply needs to be functioning and free of cracks.   And OP didn't say where they got their screen replaced, but it doesn't matter anyhow since that isn't a reason to not give the $300 bill credit.

The reason for adjustment did NOT say aftermarket parts.  It said the screen was cracked or not functioning, which wasn't true.  And aftermarket parts aren't a reason to not honor the appraisal.

You are just making things up.

OP can file a NOD and take Verizon to arbitration at Verizon's expense if Verizon won't honor the promotion.  This [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] is unfortunately all too common with the Verizon trade in department.

sprmankalel
Leader

With all due respect, what makes your information correct and mine incorrect?

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

With any other phone I might agree.  But with iPhone, not so much.  When they test the phone any problems cause a reduction in value.

$300 for an iPhone 5c is more than it sells for new.  It's close to correct for a used iPhone 5S. 

The going rate for a NEW iPhone 5c is $240.  Used go for $150, retail.  Of course you get half that at most as a trade in.

The person who estimate the phone should have done a better job, no way it should have been given a full $300 no matter how perfect it was..

THe best option with iPhone (and any phone)  is always resale to get the best value. 

kathyzac

I think the promised price should be honored and if the company that they sent your phone to disputes the price you should be given an option of getting your phone back or taking the adjusted price.

But, that mean providing customer service over just selling phones and products. Silly me.