Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Trade-in Device Lost/Stolen.. now what?
d4vidkim

Hello,

As mentioned by countless threads/Verizon users, I am another victim of trade-in lost/damaged/stolen by UPS.  

We purchased two new phones in Oct with the trade-in offer ($1,000/phone), received the new phones. I shipped out my trade-ins devices. (two phones, two separate shipping label provided by Verizon). Now both phone has been listed as Damage Reported by UPS. 

12/10/2021
3:52 A.M.
Damage Reported
Merchandise is missing. UPS will notify the sender with additional details. / All merchandise missing, empty carton was discarded. UPS will notify the sender with details of the damage.
Fort Worth, TX, United States
10/21/2021
7:32 P.M.
Damage Reported
Merchandise is missing. UPS will notify the sender with additional details. / All merchandise missing, empty carton was discarded. UPS will notify the sender with details of the damage.
Dallas, TX, United States

I spent COUNTLESS hours with customer representatives and after spending weeks with different customer service rep. the last rep only offered partial credit. 

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated. 

0 Likes
Re: Trade-in Device Lost/Stolen.. now what?
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

You did your part by packing and shipping, as proved by the tracking.
Because the shipping label is pre-printed by Verizon, it makes Verizon the shipper. This means just like if they were shipping you a brand new phone from them, and it is lost or destroyed,  it is between Verizon and the shipping carrier to deal with the loss. If you have any trouble getting Verizon to honor the promotion for full credits you can file a complaint online with either the Better Business Bureau or the FCC.  
Good luck

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

@d4vidkim ,

It's great to know that you've been keeping track of your trade status, although disappointing to hear that UPS has lost it. Have you contacted UPS since this had happened so that they can review what options they have available for you? Have you contacted Customer Service since this confirmation that UPS has confirmed the package as lost? -Russell

0 Likes
d4vidkim

Russell, 

As stated, i have spent COUNTLESS hours with verizon support (check my account history/notes).  UPS won't do anything since the label was provided by Verizon. This is beyond frustrating and totally regretting switching to Verizon. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Having your device lost in transit is very upsetting to hear.  We can completely understand your desire to get this matter resolved. We are  here and want to help in any way we can.  Can you please send us a Private Message? *Lisa

0 Likes
d4vidkim

Sent. 

0 Likes
Pinkkermit

I know this post is old, the same exact thing is happening to me now. I literally have a picture of it going into UPS drop box but they wont take responsibility. They only give you 2 weeks to file a claim, but then tell you , that you need to wait to file one. They do everything possible not to honor it. I have spent countless hours on the phone with both Verizon and UPS and they both point into the others direction. I know this outcome will not be good., I guarantee if UPS would give me an hour or two in their lost/damage package section I can find it. 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

@Pinkkermit wrote:

I know this post is old, the same exact thing is happening to me now. I literally have a picture of it going into UPS drop box

@Pinkkermit wrote:

I know this post is old, the same exact thing is happening to me now. I literally have a picture of it going into UPS drop box but they wont take responsibility. They only give you 2 weeks to file a claim, but then tell you , that you need to wait to file one. They do everything possible not to honor it. I have spent countless hours on the phone with both Verizon and UPS and they both point into the others direction. I know this outcome will not be good., I guarantee if UPS would give me an hour or two in their lost/damage package section I can find it. 

I hope you mean Post office?  The smart label tracks through the US postal system and then either Newgistics or Pitney Bowes  with the same tracking number.  

but they wont take responsibility. They only give you 2 weeks to file a claim,

Who?   

but then tell you , that you need to wait to file one.

The Postal Service asks people to wait 15 days to file a lost package claim. But if you track the package and it is picked up by the courier, it should show as “delivered to or picked up by agent”

They do everything possible not to honor it. I have spent countless hours on the phone with both Verizon and UPS (Hope you mean USPS) and they both point into the others direction. I know this outcome will not be good., I guarantee if UPS (I am really concerned that three times it is not a typo ) would give me an hour or two in their lost/damage package section I can find it. 

0 Likes
d4vidkim

Hello,

VZW will do everything possible not to honor the trade-in credit. There is no help provided by customer service representatives who are handling these issues. You'll be asked over and over what happened, and when you call back to inquire about the status, the new representative doesn't know what happened. I spent countless hours and repeated my story to countless customer service reps before getting through the "UPPER MANAGEMENT" and they offered half of what was initially offered. There is no choice but to accept what they are offering.  This was a very disappointing experience. 

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

@d4vidkim 

If you have tracking, and followed all the requirements, they have to credit.  If they only through you a bone, then something did not meet the requirements or directions not followed.

You can go through the formal dispute process, small claims or arbitration as in your customer agreement 

0 Likes