Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trade in scam
jdowning

Does anyone know if Verizons promise of trade in credit is a scam.  I have been trying since Sept to get my $300 credit for sending back my phone.  I have lost count of how many people I have spoken to that tell me they will take care of it and never do and the last person told me to call their trade in dept of which you cannot speak to a live person, what a joke!  I have my promo code, my submission ID number and proof they got my phone but for some reason no one can help me since they don't know and the depts that should know you can't talk to.  SCAM!!!!  Now that the other carriers have good coverage I see no reason to pay top dollar for terrible customer service and especially if this whole trade in is a scam

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Trade in scam
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

jdowning,

That's certainly not what we want to hear! We work hard to provide a seamless experience with our Device Recycling program.

What do you experience when calling in our Trade-in department? We definitely have live representatives available. Are you calling the 800-416-8894 number?
TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MiiHere
Leader

Did you try to use the Chat feature? I often get better results that way. If not, I X out of the box and keep trying until I get someone who understands.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

jdowning,

That's certainly not what we want to hear! We work hard to provide a seamless experience with our Device Recycling program.

What do you experience when calling in our Trade-in department? We definitely have live representatives available. Are you calling the 800-416-8894 number?
TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jdowning

Oh  yes that is the number I have tried 4 times.  I tried every option and it is simply a voice mail circle.  I really don't think a live person is there.  Maybe you should call it and see what your customers experience

traciegreene

I called this number just to see if I got a option to speak to a live person there is nothing. I don't know where they can say you can talk to a live person.

0 Likes
Hanson808

Same for my husband and I.  Verizon is not honoring the promises their sales people made on Black Friday.

For my husbands 40th birthday - which just happened to be Black Friday of this year - we decided to take advantage of those deals.  He was going to move to the Note 4 and I was going to switch to the S6.  We asked if they would honor the $300 trade in promo for my switch to the S6, despite our being existing Verizon customers  (my husband has been with them a total of 15 years.)  The salesman looked into it and came back with a "yes".  Hearing that, my husband decided to forego his preferred Note 4 and also get the S6.

During the check out process, though, the saleman would give us nothing in writing to confirm the deal.  We got our new contrace by email and it stated a different total  monthly billing amount than the sales rep had advised us as well.  So we called back within 20 minutes of making the order to cancel it and spoke to another sales rep at a different location.  she confirmed everything was showing accurate on her side: we would get the month lay price quotes through a per line bill credit each month if we stayed above a certain data usage threshold and we would get promo codes texted to us once our new phones were activate, then enter the code on their website when we were registering our trade in devices.  Our original sales person also called back (he had been contacted by the 2nd sales rep by email of our concern) and he again assured us all was logged and notated and we were eligible for all promotions.

We got our new phones and activated them.  Got busy working on saving and transferring all the pictures of the kids, text message history and contact information (that took several days of the precious little daytime we have outside of work).  When I was ready to package up the old phones and send them in, I realized : we got no return shipping materials and no text message with promo codes.  So I called Verizon customer service again.  Very helpful rep acknowledged the trade in deal was to be honored for us, asked me if my husband or I had received emails with the codes.  I checked and no email either.  So she put me on a long hold (each phone call in this process has been longer and longer) and came back on the line stating she had worked with the device trade in department, had entered our codes for our account already, that return shipping label was on the way for our trade in phones and would arrive 3-4 days later, but if I did not want to wait that long I could visit the Verizon store and they could print the label.

The label didnot come in the prescribed amount of time.  So I stopped into a verizon store while out shopping guide for christmas (also a rather long wait for service, with a toddler in tow.)  The store rep I spoke with stated the label could take up to 2 weeks seeing as we are on Oahu and all of mail service is running slow due to holidays.  I expressed shock, since our new phones were delivered quicker than promised.  She said those are shipped express through FEDEX, but the label would come via regular mail.  The in store rep also told me she would hesitated to give me a label or to accept our phones and send them in for us as they may not get processed to the correct processing center and we might therefore have problems getting our trade in deal honored.

So I waited.  2 1/2 weeks total waiting for the labels.  I call into customer service again.  It is now Christmas Eve and my husband and I are very concerned .  The first rep we speak with again acknowledges the deal is referenced on our account.  She puts us on a long hold to speak with the depart mentioned that processes the trade ins and returns saying that department was now reporting us as intelligible for the trade in special.  Almost a month later and 4 long phone calls in!  We ask for a manager.  The woman who got on the line is obviously suffering from a major cold or flu.  She wad sniffling every few seconds and barely had a voice.  I mentioned that she sounded ill and hated she had to take a call for such a heated case as ours - we were pretty fuming at this point-  and she mentioned that the company was on a no tI me off policy during the holiday season (she could not stay home sick!)

We were on the phone with her so long I had to leave the phone call with my husband and head to work late.  In the end, an hour or more after I left for work, this manager tells my husband the best she can get for us is a $300 trade in for BOTH our old phones (black Friday deal was $300 trade in per device.)  Our alternative is to take our new phones back into a Verizon store and return them...after transferring all our information back to our old phones and having lost all the app data we wiped from them.  And we are supposed to trust that Verizon will properly credit us back for returning them?  Please!

I am grateful to Verizon for this one thing.  I have been telling my husband for several years that their plans are too expensive compared to competitors and we need to switch.  I was going to be OK with our bill after the switch, but not ecstatic.  My husband has been very against switching.  Guess what we are likely to do once we return these S6s?

Hanson808

Just tried that number.  It seems that after navigating through 2 multiple choice options the caller is giver a summary of what the device trade in program is, then is given the options of 1 to hear the message again 3 for main menu and 3 to end the call.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Leader

Not sure if you know this, but you only had 14 days from the date of purchase/switch to return the new phones and revert back to your old plan.

0 Likes
sdb479jr

Same issue for me. Sent in phone A and B, was supposed to send B and C....cant get a credit on either. Total run around. No messages, no response. Here is the response:

Dylan: I can definitely understand your frustration and I do apologize but you did not start a device trade-in on any of your phones. Your [removed] would have not been eligible for a credit because it was required that you turn in the phone in order to take advantage of the early upgrade offer. Your [removed] line was not asked to be returned and there was no trade-in process that was ever started for it. A possible credit could have been applied to it if you had started the trade-in credit and sent it to the trade-in team, but because it was sent to the early upgrade team with no trade-in ever starting, no credits were/can be applied. I can understand wanting to speak with a manager and I can say that they have the same systems as we do and will see the same thing. If you do need to speak with a manager, you will have to call into our customer service team and request to be transferred to one over the phone.

Very disappointing customer service. No motivation...since they have to return money. No incentive to help.

Phone numbers removed as required by the

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

sassi2016

I totally agree with you that this is a scam.  Verizon is spending millions of dollars to promote this bait and switch and I am so so sorry that I switched 4 lines from Sprint to Verizon.  I am out over $1200 dollars and have been jerked around for 2 months.  First I was told that my submissions were rejected because of the purchase receipt, and now they are saying that I need to have copies of what Verizon paid me for the old phones.  Well duh, the credit is on my phone bill they know I sent them back and they know how much they credited me.  I have been on the phone with representatives, called the store that processed everything twice, went there twice and still nothing.

I think Verizon is looking at a class action suit if they do not get their act together.