Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Two lines under the same host, different tax rates?
BITPOP

I have two lines under my plan. They have the same access fee and same activation fee on the bill. But why the sales taxes for them are different?

Anyone know why?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Two lines under the same host, different tax rates?
lewisr13
Leader

Most likely the service addresses are different, not the billing, the service address.

My Verizon, My profile, Service address

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

Since you have Activation Fees on this bill, did you also purchase new phones? Were the phones the same price? Each line is the same so I'm not sure if the service addresses are different, but I do wonder if the cost of the phones could be affecting the tax amounts.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

You have device payment plans and the cost of the phone on the second line is $15 more per month?

That is what the math shows.

0 Likes
BITPOP

First of all, the second line is about 2 dollars more payment, not 15.

Second, no new devices purchased.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

Then talk to Verizon CS. All I can tell is the second line tax is based on $75 and the first line is based on $50. If you device payments are only $2 difference and you have no other features on the second line it makes no sense to me either.

Based on:

College Station1.50%
Brazos County0.50%
State of Texas6.25%
0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

It looks quirky to me too. Smiley Sad

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ElementalRift

The tax is based on the total cost of the phone one phone was more expensive, so the state and city sales tax is higher, blame the government.

0 Likes
HJT397

I'm having the same issue; however, both lines have the exact same monthly charges:

Line Access                       $20.00

Device Payment                $20.83

Total Equipment Coverage  $9.00

$49.83

Both phones were also purchased online and shipped to my home. In addition, I paid the sales tax on the phones when I ordered them, so the device payment amount should not be added into the amount being figured for sales tax.

Line 1:

Line 1.png

Line 2:

Line 2.png

ElementalRift​ Using your assumed tax figures for BITPOP's statement, I wasn't able to come up with the sales tax amounts listed. I also couldn't come up with any sales tax percentages that would match my statement either. This is truly questionable.

Also, I recently added a 3rd line for my daughter; the sales tax amount is still less than Line 1, yet the taxable amount is twice as much. Her charges consist of a pro-rated month at $18.71, one month at $20.00 and an activation fee of $30.00.

Line 3:

Line 3.png

It'd be nice for some clarification from Verizon, but I have the feeling that even their customer service will not be able to answer the question.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Leader

Is it possible that the extra charge is sales tax on the data portion of your bill? In Michigan data is not taxable but just a thought of a possibility.

0 Likes