Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Unexplainable data overage: 20 GB in one day. 4.8 GB in five minutes. No text notifications.
MAStein

On Nov. 9 a text showed up saying we had blown past our data usage by 30 GB, to the tune of $450. There was no warning text at 1 GB, no notification at 2 GB, nothing until we supposedly had automatically added a 1GB data overage 30 times.

I looked at the usage on My Verizon, and, incredibly, 20G is claimed for a single day, Nov 6, on a single phone (three days before the first overage notice). Another 8G the following day.

Even wilder: the usage data records 4.8 GB in 5 minutes! (11:49-11:54, in nine entries). Is that even possible?

Even Youtube streaming at high definition is only 1 GB per hour.

I called Verizon and they won't remove the charge.

We've been customers for about 10 years now and never disputed a charge.

Unless Verizon can fix this we are leaving. We are well past the minimum period of our contract and see no reason to risk this kind of arbitrary charge happening again in the future. We can't even rely on Verizon to notify us that we are racking up unusual charges (or, rather, having them foisted on us) as it is happening.

Re: Unexplainable data overage: 20 GB in one day. 4.8 GB in five minutes. No text notifications.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

MAStein, we certainly don't want to see you leave. We appreciate your efforts and can understand your concerns about the data usage on your account. As you have been able to pinpoint the time and date that the data usage was incurred, do you remember what you were doing on your phone at the time? In addition, have you checked your account notifications as shown here: https://www.verizon.com/support/my-verizon-alerts-and-notifications-faqs/ In addition, has your bill cycle already ended? Although you have incurred data overages, you still have the option to change to an unlimited plan if your billing cycle has not yet concluded.

LorenzoP_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Unexplainable data overage: 20 GB in one day. 4.8 GB in five minutes. No text notifications.
9wood

Seems very strange that usage would be so high only thing I can think of is apps being updated but that doesn't seem to fit the data use

0 Likes