Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Using Whatsapp to call incurred international roaming charges
jjaykkay

Please permit me to introduce myself

Account Number: [removed]

Executive summary:

I used an Iphone App called Whatsapp that allows users to exchange online messages and even calling. I used that app to make an app to app call to a friend in India.

And I was shocked to see that Verizon has billed all the talk time to international roaming and the bill is a HUGE amount close to $775

Issue in detail

Total minutes talked - 296

Billed - $775+ (at international roaming rate $2.30/minute)

Please consider the following facts

-I used Whatsapp to talk to Iphone app to app call

-I had called same Whatsapp number in india

-A few times all happened with in a month/same billing cycle

-First time it happened in my history with Verizon

-I don't have  international plan so I did not know my cell phone can make international calls through Verizon (Have never made one via cell phone/verizon)

-I have no way of knowing that this is being charged to my account until I see the bill (I saw and reported this within a week of the ebill date)

-The app clearly says this //Using WhatsApp while your phone is connected to Wi-Fi should not incur charges from your carrier. Please note that some Wi-Fi networks may have charges or usage fees.//

http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/iphone/20970433

Please consider the following as a LOYAL verizon customer

- 15 year LOYAL verizon mobile customer (customer since 2000 since I landed in the US)

- Never left Verizon , not even once

- Always paid my bill on time (automatic payments)

- Have converted MANY customers from other carriers to Verizon

In this background I would humbly request you to put yourself in my shoes and see this issue as a mistake/software glitch which I had no way of knowing until I see the bill.

I request you to do the needful to see it as what it is , a mistake , that was not done by me but a software of which I have no knowledge of.

Being a long standing LOYAL Verizon customer , I beseech you to do the right thing and reverse all the charges related this incident.

Following is the log of my efforts to work with Verizon customer support

Dates called April 5th 1 hr

April 6 - 4 hrs

Ian did the right thing

He converted the calls to regular international long distance from 2.39/min to 29 cents a minute , convenience plan.

I agreed and he said its waiting on supervisor's approval which is 24 hrs.

I called again April 7 I was told it might take 48 to 42 hrs

I called again on April 10 and I was told the supervisor did not approve.

I spoke to many and finally reached Ms.Brooke  who introduced herself as the top most supervisor in the building (Employee [removed],Kentucky call center)

Personal information removed as required by the

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Using Whatsapp to call incurred international roaming charges
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

Verizon can't tell you what you used... You could have switched dialers. There is no way to identify what dialer you are using. The way to do so would violate your privacy... Which seems like you'd complain about that as well...

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support
jjaykkay, thank you so much for the full details of the situation you are facing. I do want to let you know that this is a public post. I would suggest to edit the current post to remove the account number for your account security. I did request to follow you and I also sent you a private message. Can you please respond back to that message. I hope to hear back from you soon.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
robd57

Hi JJKAY,

The EXACT same thing took place for my wife. She used the WhatsApp to make calls and it ended up going to a number in Turkey. Verizon sent NO Alerts at all that this would be International charge OUTSIDE of our International calling plan.

My wife made calls using the SAME app to Mexico and it went through without charges.

We have also been customer for numerous years.

I called Verizon to see how this occurred and got the technical folks, who first told me as they told you, they could change to the Global plan and then pay a reduced $/min. However, then the supervisor stepped in and would not approve.

Verizon seems to think they have no responsibility to send ALERTS or allow for ALERTS when it goes well beyond the ordinary.

Did you get Verizon to provide a credit as a customer?

I would like to know, as I am about to switch and then make this a case of Verizon and show how much they care about customer retention. Thanks in advance.

robd57

KevinR_VZW

It looks like your company has numerous people with the same issue. Verizon has some responsibility here.

Can you please provide contact information for me to resolve same issue.

Tidbits
Sr. Leader

Negative that's on Whatsapp. It isn't specifically tied to just Verizon. Viber, Skype, Google Hangouts, and a slew of other apps don't have this problem. Verizon has no control over 3rd parties apps you use.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

If WhatsApp did their code correctly like they should have. It would be no different than Skype, OovoO, Hangouts, Viber, and such. Try those and see what happens. Bad code is bad code. Don't give a free pass for bad code.

0 Likes
robd57

Looks like JJKAY moved on to AT&T or Sprint as many other customers will be soon as well.

Tidbits
Sr. Leader

Care to wager I don't work for nor have any vested interest.

Under your premise I should be charged for the use of Skype, Viber, and OovoO. Which I don't. I expect they wrote their code correctly and have no trouble...

Just saying...

0 Likes
jjaykkay

Verizon must not allow international calls if its not explicitly signed up for by the user. period.

Tidbits
Sr. Leader

Like landline providers? Of wait I can call Korea no problem without an international plan...

0 Likes