Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Verizon Adding Insurance Charges without Permission -- Class Action Lawsuit?
cx342657

My wife and I got started on a family plan near the end of 2018. We bought the phones in-store, getting an iPhone XS and XR. The salesperson asked us if we wanted to add on the Total Mobile Protection Plan to our phones and my wife and I both declined. I am super cautious with my phones and make them last an average of 4 years, so I don't need insurance. My wife likes to change her phones after usually a year and also doesn't feel the need for protection since she likes changing so frequently.

My mistake was not looking at a detailed view of our bill immediately. The numbers seemed to make sense and I have been with Verizon since I was 14 years old, so I have trust with them to do the right thing.

This week, while my wife and I were looking to cut down our phone bill a bit, we noticed that the Total Mobile Protection Plan has been active on our bills as far back as we can see. That's $15 per line per month for 15 months, meaning Verizon took $450 from us without permission.

When we reached out to Customer Service they said that they could only credit us back the last 6 months ($180) since that is as far back as they can see the charges. I do not believe for a second that Verizon only keeps 6 months worth of financial records.

Looking through this forum, I saw another post where someone experienced this exact scenario!

That has me wondering how many other people has Verizon been doing this to and for how long? I am thinking of taking them to small claims court, but if there are others that this has happened to then I believe this could qualify as a class action lawsuit with Verizon not acting in good faith for its customers and illegally charging insurance without permission.

Has anyone else experienced this with Verizon? Check your bills if you declined insurance and comment on this thread if the Total Mobile Protection Plan mysteriously popped up on your bill.

Re: Verizon Adding Insurance Charges without Permission -- Class Action Lawsuit?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Cx342657, help has arrived. We know the importance of needing to know what is being charged on your monthly bills. We know that it can be a shock to see a charge appear on the monthly bills. I'm glad that you were able to get a hold of an agent from our Customer Service Department. I'm glad that they were able to provide you with the maximum amount of credit for a billing dispute according to the Customer Agreement https://www.verizonwireless.com/legal/notices/customer-agreement/ (under How and when can I dispute charges?). Were they able to apply the credit amount to the wireless account? 

You can always view the details of your monthly bills by following this link https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/view-latest-bill/ KevinR_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Adding Insurance Charges without Permission -- Class Action Lawsuit?
Tigerstep

I noticed when my bill went up 10c for Comcast and this is an account on autopay.

Store adding TMP without permission is on them. Not checking the bill for over a year was on you.

Kristineandreasyan

Just recently I called Verizon they told me I have protection plan since February I Immediately called Verizon I told them I have apple care I have never signed up for this all they did was apologize I remembered I went to the store On feb 1 too look at new phone and the rep there took My info I asked him why are you taking my info he said I’m looking at your plan I looked at the phones and left immediately I got a text from Verizon that someone was trying to access my account I got worried I took it back to the store and showed the guy who helped me trusting him looking at my account he told me not to worry that my account was okay I came home i then find out I’m sighned up for this protection plan on the same day I saw the rep yes I am thinking of taking legal action against them we all should do this 

Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

This is why I chose to purchase my phones online. Since I am going through the purchase process, I can verify and decide if I'm going to add the insurance or accessories to my order. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

@Kristineandreasyan wrote:

I remembered I went to the store On feb 1 too look at new phone and the rep there took My info I asked him why are you taking my info he said I’m looking at your plan I looked at the phones and left immediately I got a text from Verizon that someone was trying to access my account I got worried I took it back to the store and showed the guy who helped me trusting him looking at my account he told me not to worry that my account was okay I came home i then find out I’m sighned up for this protection plan on the same day I saw the rep yes I am thinking of taking legal action against them we all should do this 

You could simply do what I always do and say I am just browsing and not give your information. I NEVER give my information at a Verizon store unless I am planning to make a purchase that day. Regardless, I have never gotten a text stating someone was trying to access my account when a Verizon rep is the one doing it. I have only ever gotten a text when someone is trying to log into my account and I would NEVER give a Verizon rep my password in order to do so. They can look at your account without your password.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We thank you for bringing this to our attention, Kristineandreasyan. We are sending you a Private Note to further assist you. CourtneyM_VZW

0 Likes
jenkohles

I also have been charged unknowingly with $30 in TMPP  fees on two phones.  My daughter and I live in two different states  and bought our phones in 2 different years.  We share a plan.   In reviewing my plan, I noticed we were both charged at two different times for the protection plan; neither of us authorized or agreed to these charges.  

Yes, I am guilty of not watching my plan with a fine tooth comb every month, and didn't catch the charges until now (2 + years) but the bottom line is I trusted Verizon to not scam me.  I trusted them with autopay.  It feels like thievery.   I trusted them with my money.   I trusted them to be transparent with me.  Side note, I left my employer so my 21% discount went away two years ago, my bill went up.  I thought that was the increase.    

When talking with the local Verizon rep a few minutes ago, he said that he could see when the charges were activated and gave me the dates.  So why can't I see the activation dates of the charges on my bill?  No transparency.   Show me where I approved this plan.

Verizon has a section on their website for purchases.  I opened the tab and nothing shows that I purchased the protection plans.  Again, why not the transparency if you have a website that offers a place for purchases.  If I look at my Apple purchases, they notify me immediately asking if it is me reviewing my purchases and if I have questions.  Transparency (just an example). 

So I get flipped over to the Verizon Loyalty Department abruptly, then get disconnected.  The sales rep said  I might be able to get 3 months of payment back to me.  So onward... 

I too am curious if there is anything that can be done about this legally? It seems there are many others in this same predicament.    

Tigerstep

A court isn't going to give you their time for not checking bills. Even if they did, the money spent would be more than what was billed.

Always check your bills and order online.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

jenkohles,

We can relate to your need for your account to bill accurately. We're shocked to hear that you are having a concern with an unknown feature on your account that's been billing. We always want to provide you with accuracy, and provide statements online to allow you to view the details of the features you are billed for in the event there is a concern. Have your billing concerns been addressed? Have your unwanted features been removed?

KatiM_VZW

0 Likes