Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Verizon Up Device Dollars
Brigdey

A Cautionary Tale 

On January 8 I placed an online order for a cell phone to be billed and paid in full on my next month’s statement less the $105 device dollars in my Verizon Up account.  Same day I received an email advising me that as my credit card expired in February, I needed to provide a new credit card number or Verizon would cancel the order in 7 days.  I spoke to a Verizon representative the next day to request that the order be processed for immediate payment by credit card.  He told me it was not possible to do that, and I would have to cancel the order and submit a new one.  But if I did that, I asked, would the device dollars be restored.  “Of course” was the answer, but his was not the correct one.

Next week my bank notified me that my credit card was in fact valid until the end of February and, therefore, there was no need for Verizon to have held the order for cancellation.  After repeated calls to Verizon Customer Service and Verizon Up representatives, on January 14 my issue was assigned an escalation number with an estimate of 2-5 business days for resolution.  Fast forward two months, more calls to Verizon Up, and template emails assuring me the Verizon Up team was researching my inquiry and would reach out to me soon, I’ve yet to receive any further communications or, preferably, to see the device dollars restored to my Verizon Up account,  But why should I expect otherwise since on each call I’ve been reminded that restoring device dollars is “very complicated.”  Really?

One of the conditions of the Verizon Up program is that device dollars are lost and will not be restored if any order using them is modified or cancelled.  Apparently this applies all orders, including any modified or cancelled by Verizon.  C’est la vie.

Any wonder why wireless providers routinely compete with cable companies to score at the bottom of customer satisfaction surveys?

1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Verizon Up Device Dollars
Brigdey

vzw_customer_support,

How do I send you a private message from here to ensure that thread is attached?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We definitely want you to be able to use your Device Dollars when you need to, and would be more than happy to help you look into this. Please send us a Private Message, so we can take a closer look at what's going on. 

0 Likes
Brigdey

The escalation number assigned 01/14/2021 is VE-1325.  At that time I was told 2-5 business days for a resolution.  Subsequently I've heard two weeks, three weeks, and so forth.   Nancy, a Customer Service representative interceded with Verizon UP on February 1, 4 and 9 to push for a resolution.  At the time I was hopeful she would succeed where I had not, but apparently Verizon UP snookered her too with assurances of research and resolution.  Good luck.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you so much for the additional details. We definitely want to make sure that you get the Device Dollars that were not used. Let's work together and review your account. To get started, please send us a Private Message. Thanks. 

0 Likes
Brigdey

vzw_customer_support,

How do I send you a private message from here to ensure that thread is attached?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Brigdey

My take away from

1. posting a message to the Community Board,
  2. receiving a reply from vzw_customer_support inviting a private reply, but
  3. omitting how to do so is not explained when how to do so is neither self-evident nor intuitive

Is truly Kafkaesque.

Yours sincerely,

A frustrated and dissatisfied Verizon Wireless Customer

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

No worries, Brigdey! Let me send you a Private Note to start working with your account. We'll be standing by. 

0 Likes
morisky
Novice

Yeah they can escalate all they want, but like my "Free" iPhone scam that Verizon played-escalating is a delay tactic to get you stay on board while Verizon stalls. All Verizon promos are scams. #lies #scam #moving_to_another_carrier

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

morisky

This is never the way we want you to feel as it is always our goal to provide excellent customer service, and we certainly do not want to see you go. Are you able to reply to the private not we sent you so that we can better assist you?

0 Likes
sshumlas

It is the worst loyalty program of all time.  

Can I pay an extra $5.00 per month to opt out of Verizon UP?

Short story:  bought new phone September 2020; requested to use $130.00 device dollars towards purchase price; Verizon UP "ticket" submitted; no credit as of January 2021; opened a Verizon UP "help ticket" in January 2021; fast forward to May 2021, Verizon UP people told me (paraphrasing) "we submitted the ticket in September 2020; you'll have to check with Verizon billing as to why the credit wasn't applied"; this is how far I was able to make in 5 months and after 6 or 7 phone calls with the Verizon UP wizards.

0 Likes