Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Verizon changed my plan without my authorization
Witchlet

Same thing here. The only difference is in my case my original plan was a 1GB data plan for a 3g USB modem stick, and they changed it to an unlimited 4g smartphone plan, without any notice, which immediately bricked the device. It’s been four months with no service at all and they’re still billing me 6X my usual bill every month despite my having spent more than 7 hours in chats, phone calls, and visits to the store to try to resolve the situation. Now they’re after me for collections even though they’ve told me on three occasions the problem was going to be fixed. All I wanted was for them to put everything back the way it was before they changed it, but that appears beyond their capability.

You may find it helpful to report the issue to the FTC, FCC, and BBB; Verizon has thousands of complaints filed each year with the FTC alone. I had been giving Verizon the benefit of the doubt but after searching news articles on the subject it appears that unauthorized and unannounced plan changes like this are a fairly common practice among broadband carriers; unfortunately it appears litigation is ultimately the only way to resolve the situation.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon changed my plan without my authorization
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Witchlet, this is definitely not the way we want you to feel about us, and we'd love to take a closer look at your account to find out what's going on. We'll be sending you a Private Note to better assist. 

LauraF_VZW

0 Likes
mama23dogs

You do know 3g service is shutting down?

Witchlet

I was made aware of that during one of my customer service interactions, but it does not justify changing my device to a plan that did not support it without any notice. Since my first post a Verizon agent has reached out to me, I responded with alternative solutions but have not heard back yet. Crossing fingers. 

0 Likes
Tigerstep

Something is missing from this story. You can't change the plans for a device to one it's not compatible with as easy as the OP posts implies. System detects that with an error stating device incompatibility.

The only time I've ever witnessed this was someone swapped a sim card between an ipad and their phone.

0 Likes
Witchlet

I've asked basically the same question to every CS rep I've dealt with so far, nobody has been able to answer. Below is a screengrab of my account dashboard showing the 3G Modem on the "do more unlimited" plan listing it as a "4G Smartphone PDI" Device model. One thing I only just now noticed is the Device ID listed on the account is suspiciously simple, I blocked out the last part assuming it's sensitive data but I'll say here only two numbers aren't zeros.

verizon screengrab.jpg

0 Likes
CrystalB55063

0 Likes
CrystalB55063

Same thing happened to me on one of 3 lines on my account just the other day! Went from a Samsung A51 to a 4g Smartphone PDI?!

0 Likes
Re: .
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Ensuring that your account is accurate is very important, CrystalB55063. We are happy to assist. So we're on the same page, is the device no longer working since your My Verizon online account has changed? - GregL_VZW

0 Likes