Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Verizon credit card application denied
hughesvillebill

Got a letter from Synchrony Bank that denial was due to not being able to verify my credit with the three many credit bureaus due to my having my accounts with the bureaus locked. 

First, nothing I could find in the application suggested they would be pulling credit reports. Given having one's accounts frozen is a highly recommended security measure, one might think they would have anticipated it and provided notice and direction. 

Then, no where in the denial letter do they provide a way to communicate with them to resolve the matter. 

Any suggestions?

Bill 

0 Likes
Re: Verizon credit card application denied
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

hughesvillebill , we are sorry to learn that you received a denial letter from Synchrony. Please keep in mind that your credit is checked when you applying for any credit card.  For assistance with your application and the denial letter, please feel free to contact Synchrony, by dialing 1-866-313-9396. Does this information help?

JacobV_VZW

hughesvillebill

Here's what helped: the phone number to call Synchrony. 

Otherwise, the response was not helpful because it didn't address the concerns I expressed that

1 - There was no warning in the application process that credit bureaus would be consulted and/or freezes would need to be lifted.

2 - And, the denial letter was especially unhelpful because it did not include any clue on how to contact Synchrony. Once I saw the denial, the cause was obvious, and fixed easily and timely if I knew how to contact Synchrony. 

To add insult to injury, when I did lift the freezes and called the number to get things reprocessed, I was told that a reprocessing had to be completed within 15 days of denial. Otherwise, I needed to wait 30 days from the date of denial, which they said was July 1 when the letter was dated July 5.

As a Verizon retiree and VZW customer since the early 1990s, easily available from my VZW records, one might have thought this would have all gone differently. As a stockholder, I'm embarrassed that Verizon hasn't given its partner, Synchrony, stronger direction. 

Note - Synchrony customer service reps were excellent.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

@hughesvillebill

I'm glad that Synchrony was able to properly address this credit application concern for you. Synchrony Customer Service is the best team that can address this type of issue.

In the meantime, do you have any other wireless questions or concerns for me today?

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
waynep20

I received the same message, however my credit status is NOT freeze. What steps should I take to move forward?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I definitely understand that this message was not a welcome one, waynep20. To find out what happened, I would recommend contacting Synchrony at 866-313-9396 to get an update.

LynnE_VZW

0 Likes
tsemler72

Every credit card is going to check your credit to see if you are a worthy credit risk.  This is common knowledge.  Having locks placed on your credit bureau is good to prevent fraud but you will not be able to get approved for anything that uses your credit to prove your identity or for any type of loan -- this is true even when applying for a cell phone or other utility account.  You need to remove your freeze at least 30 days before you decide to apply for credit or open any accounts as it takes that long for it to reflect.  

0 Likes