Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Verizon debt collection without notice
apbeatty

I cancelled my verizon account a couple of years back and paid to have it closed.  A year and a half later, I get my credit report, and see that there was a debt for $239 sent to a collection agency from Verizon.  I got ahold of the collection agency to get the derogatory mark removed from my credit report, and was told that it would be removed once I paid the debt and they reported the debt as paid to Verizon.  They would not give me anyone in Verizon to contact for more info, and Verizon's automated phone system would not send me to a human being seeing as the phone number I used was cancelled.  I decided to call my local Verizon (where the people are always extremely nice), and was given the Verizon Financial Services phone number.  I called this number at approximately 5:00PM CST, and got an automated message that it was outside of business hours, although it said their business hours were 8AM to 8PM Eastern Time (Note the closing time over an hour after I called).  I waited and called back this morning and actually got ahold of someone.  I was transferred to a Verizon collections team, where the lady who answered the phone was not friendly at all, and would not give me any information on the bill or how I could get it removed from my Credit report.  All this happening after I paid the debt.... I am now $239 lighter and still have 6 more years of a hidden fee on my credit report lowering my credit!  What gives?  I have power of attorney through my work benefits and consulted them before calling Verizon, where i was told to make sure they agreed to remove it from my credit (which the debt collector told me would happen).  I am more interested in the lowering of my credit score than the $200 dollars at this point, as I am just graduating college and starting a new life and now won't be able to get a loan of any sort for some time... What can I do, or who can I contact about this?  I can have my attorney contact someone if need be.

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon debt collection without notice
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

apbeatty,

We're sorry to learn that you decided to cancel your service with us and that you're having difficulty with the information that's been reported to the credit bureaus. The best option for a resolution would be to speak with our Recovery Operations Team at 800-852-1922. The Recovery Operations Team would be the only team that has access to a written off/collections account and who can provide details on the options that are available for having the debt removed from your credit.

ShawnteJ_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Bradyzegers

I had something similar happen to me, I was convinced to move my personal account into a business account. I paid the remaining balance at the store and started fresh with my business account. Months later I received a letter saying I owed 60.00 from my last account, I called and Verizon told me they don’t see anything at all, that it’s a mistake. They literally told me to just ignore letters if I get them again. Then months later after that call I get an alert on my credit report that Verizon sent me to collections for 60.00, I was livid!!! It dumped my Fico score 65 points. The lady I spoke with said there’s nothing I can do about it, they don’t remove anything from credit reports. I can’t begin to tell you how angry I am, not only that...I can’t even pay it!! Nobody can see the 60.00 I owe so I can’t even pay!!! I am so angry at Verizon for this. I don’t know what to do.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Bradyzegers, it's regrettable to learn of your experience. I'd be equally frustrated under the circumstances. There is certainly something that can be done. Our Verizon Wireless Recovery Operations & Credit Bureau Disputes team would be the team to address your matter properly. They can be reached at 800-852-1922 and are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm. They do also assist when a dispute has led to a derogatory inquiry with your credit report to ensure it gets removed. 

EbonyR_VZW

0 Likes
dm2020

The same thing happened to me in 2020. And I am an active customer with Verizon with all payments on time. They reported an account which was created by mistake when I ported in. I even called them multiple times to see if any balance is left when I first got a collection call from a number listed as potential spam. And every time they asked me to ignore the calls as it could be spam. Now all of a sudden it’s a derogatory remark in my credit report. This is frustrating beyond words.

KH-Michael

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

dm2020, were you able to review the previous message from rep EbonyR_VZW? If you are still noticing issues with your credit report, please reach out to the number above for further assistance. 

-TakendraW_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @ VZWSupport

0 Likes