Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Verizon lied to me after my ex-wife passed and sent me to collections
Notafanofv

This pertains to a Fios account that I can no longer access so I am posting this here on my wireless account hoping someone at Verizon has some sort of empathy. Basically I opened an account for Fios in 2009 when I got married to my now ex wife. In 2012 we got divorced. I then moved out of the house where I had service and eventually relocated to California from the east coast. My ex-wife continued to pay the bill on her own up until August of last year when she passed away from cancer. I did not know my name was still on the account despite not living at that residence for 10 years.

Then in June of 2021 I get a collections letter. Confused I call Verizon and realized this was the Fios account I had in 2009. I explained what happened and was assured by Kurt in their finance department that by making the payment there would be no negative impact to my personal credit. That was a lie. After remitting the payment I then found out Kurt lied and in fact Verizon had already reported the late payments prior to taking my payment. When I called back and referenced my conversation with Kurt I was told that it was not "his decision to make" and that they don't delete from credit reports. I have a wireless account with Verizon using the same phone number and email address I used to setup the Fios account in 2009 yet I was never told about this issue (would have addressed immediately).

I will continue to fight this in any way possible as my fico was 820+ and dropped to 700 in the matter of one day. Verizon is in breach of the Fair Debt Collection Process Act - Section False and Misleading Representations - Use any false representation (Kurt) or deceptive means to collect or attempt to collect a debt or to obtain information about a consumer.

I have called repeatedly to the asset recovery department who has the power to make this right and they have lied stating a supervisor would call me back within 24-48 hours twice now. I have seen other forum users under far less exceptional circumstances get the negative credit reporting removed. Under the circumstances Verizon has proven they have zero sympathy. Even if one of their customers passes away. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Verizon lied to me after my ex-wife passed and sent me to collections
Ann154
Super User
Super User

I believe you can still register for a community only ID login on the Fios forum. A community only ID isn't tied to a Verizon account. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Super User
Super User

First, this should asked in the Fios forum and not the Verizon Wireless Community forum. https://forums.verizon.com/

Second, your lawyer during the divorce proceedings should have included in the final divorce decree that any bills in your name that your ex-wife was taking over be transferred into their name to remove your financial responsibility for those accounts. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Notafanofv

Ann thank you for taking the time to respond. I am not able to log in to the Fios account in question since it was taken over by my ex-wife (deceased) 10 years ago. Without those credentials I cannot post in the proper forum. I do think the below situation is beneficial for all Verizon customers since it relates to billing practices shared across all of their product offerings.

I will go back and check the divorce decree for language related to bills associated with the home transferred to my ex-wife. Issue I see there is since her passing anything related to her obligation would have needed to be included as a part of settling her estate. The delinquent monies in question accrued after event so going back at this point could be a dead end. Thank you again for responding. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Super User
Super User

I believe you can still register for a community only ID login on the Fios forum. A community only ID isn't tied to a Verizon account. 

Notafanofv

Ann you are correct. I have reposted this concern on the Fios community. Thank you for pointing that out. I will keep this post open as again I think wireless customers could be impacted in the same way since it is all Verizon at the end of the day and this relates to deceptive billing practices.

I have taken advantage of Verizon's executive leadership contact channel and reached out to Ronan Dunne - Executive Vice President and Group CEO of Verizon Consumer. Waiting on a response. Recommend using this option if your feedback and calls fall on deaf ears. Verizon's customer service is and has been pretty horrific for years.

https://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/executive-bios 

0 Likes
Notafanofv

Ann,

So while I can use a community ID on the Fios forum any posts I create are only peer-to-peer. I confirmed this with a moderator on the forum (Lawrence).

Posting there does help other users potentially but won’t help me get the traction I want.

I need to interact with someone from Verizon (Fios) who has the authority to delete credit reporting. I have seen similar posts where Verizon rep comes in and asks for a private message chat with the poster. That is a great starting point. Calling has used up literally hours and hours of my time and we still have a big issue left to address. 

Ann you have been very helpful. So thank you. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Super User
Super User

Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain the VZW reps here that roam this community don't have access to the Fios accounts even if you have the ability to verify you have access to the Fios account in question.

You might have to reach out to the executor of your ex-wife's estate perhaps even through a lawyer to get this resolved between the estate, Verizon Fios, and you. 

0 Likes
Richie107524

Nothing would surprise me regarding Verizon and what they tell you. This is with respect to every single transaction related to this company. I have been having router issues and to get to my point with respect to them lying to customers I have serious router issues and WIFI issues. Note that I have an internet connection but the configuration that is shown on the app does not match what is actually on the Network Map. So after 2 troubleshooting calls/videos and assured that all was fixed, I noticed that the passwords and names of the "Home Network" and WIFI were reversed. You cannot make this up. So the first representative lied - BLATANTLY LIED - about what she configured. So I am glad I saw this post. I feel it is time for a class action law suit against them for charging exuberant amounts for the services provided and then when you entrust them to help you fix issues that you did not create they lie to your face. When calling take down time, date, names of everyone you speak with and if possible record the conversation. It will help with any issue that you may have. As for the member who's wife died I would plaster that posting on your social media page and every other place where million of people can respond and stop this absolute madness. Verizon is the worst violator of horrible customer. We pay our bills so how about it is time to hit them in the pocket at the shareholder level. Sell Verizon stock as they may be doing well it it that way at our expense. I will be in touch on the community with more information on the hundreds of posts that I see where people are getting literally robbed. Thank you everyone, be safe.

0 Likes
Notafanofv

Update :The Verizon executive team responded and reviewed the calls and notes. They agreed deletion of the negative information from my credit was the right resolution. A promise was made that was broken and they recognized making it right. Huge help if you ever get into a tricky situation where you are not being treated fairly. Extremely professional handling of this situation, maybe the best I have ever seen and I have worked in support 12+ years. I reached out to Ronan Dunne through the executive page on the Verizon main site. 

0 Likes