Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Verizon quietly cancelled our international minutes plan and our phone bill is now $3158
RAMALB6

Hi All. I'm looking for help or insight for how to approach this. Here are the facts:

We were signed up for Verizon's "Call the World" plan at $20 for 1000 international minutes, and were in fact billed for this on 3/28. On 4/19 we increased our data plan from 2Gb to 4Gb. Unbeknownst to us, they cancelled the international minutes plan and refunded the $20, although at that time it seemed that everything was working fine. We found out the bill today to be $3,158.79. They've been charging $2/intl minute all this time, totaling $2,509.70, the remaining ~$600 are from "surcharges" and tax fees. Called Verizon and they had no explanation as to why they cancelled the international plan, and that the best they can do is take $1,000 off the bill.

TL;DR: Verizon quietly cancelled our international minutes plan in the middle of the month and are charging us for ~2$/minute not only from when they cancelled the plan, but for the entire month.

What's the best way to escalate this to hopefully get it resolved?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Verizon quietly cancelled our international minutes plan and our phone bill is now $3158
sprmankalel
Leader

Then there is a good chance that you weren't paying attention to your features while changing the plan. Since this is user initiated and not completed by a VZW employee you're kinda stuck with the charges.

VZW has no way of telling (even if processed by a rep) that you intended to remove the feature then decided "Hey, I didn't authorize the removal of that feature!" after you got the bill. See, they paid for those charges already and they will be adamant about you paying them back.

When you process your own plan changes online you have no proof (like a recorded telephone call) that you didn't ask for that to be removed. Had you done this over the telephone, they could have listened to the call to determine that you didn't authorize it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Verizon quietly cancelled our international minutes plan and our phone bill is now $3158
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

Did you change your actual plan when you increased your data allowance?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
RAMALB6

No, I only changed the data plan, and somehow the international plan, which was paid for from the previous cycle on 3/30, got cancelled. Not only did it get cancelled starting the day of the upgrade (4/19, plan usually renews the 29th of each month), but they basically charged all international usage for the month of April per their standard minute rate instead of $0.10 for every additional minute above 1000.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Leader

Who processed the plan change? Was it you or did you do it through a representative?

0 Likes
RAMALB6

no, online through the verizon app on iPhone.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Leader

Then there is a good chance that you weren't paying attention to your features while changing the plan. Since this is user initiated and not completed by a VZW employee you're kinda stuck with the charges.

VZW has no way of telling (even if processed by a rep) that you intended to remove the feature then decided "Hey, I didn't authorize the removal of that feature!" after you got the bill. See, they paid for those charges already and they will be adamant about you paying them back.

When you process your own plan changes online you have no proof (like a recorded telephone call) that you didn't ask for that to be removed. Had you done this over the telephone, they could have listened to the call to determine that you didn't authorize it.

0 Likes
BJBARE

I have the same issue that Verizon has been attempting to resolve since February when I made the switch.

Apparently, when they rolled out the Unlimited they did not make sure it would not remove other parts of the plan.  I know for certain that I NEVER would have clicked through a screen that stated that my Call The World plan was being removed, nor did I receive a warning on my phone that this was taking place.  The first person on the phone said that I should have called to customer service or went into the store and I would not have the issue.  I said then you should not allow customers to change the plan online.  For three months now, Verizon has been giving me a credit and promising me that they will resolve the issue.

The major problem is that they do not offer the Call The World plan any more.  They keep trying to sell me on other plans that do not come close.  They need to credit all of your overages and put the legacy Call The World plan back on your phone.  This was not your fault! Had you not followed their link to upgrade your data you would not be experiencing this issue.  Just my two cents Smiley Happy

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Leader

BJBARE wrote:

I have the same issue that Verizon has been attempting to resolve since February when I made the switch.

Apparently, when they rolled out the Unlimited they did not make sure it would not remove other parts of the plan. I know for certain that I NEVER would have clicked through a screen that stated that my Call The World plan was being removed, nor did I receive a warning on my phone that this was taking place. The first person on the phone said that I should have called to customer service or went into the store and I would not have the issue. I said then you should not allow customers to change the plan online. For three months now, Verizon has been giving me a credit and promising me that they will resolve the issue.

The major problem is that they do not offer the Call The World plan any more. They keep trying to sell me on other plans that do not come close. They need to credit all of your overages and put the legacy Call The World plan back on your phone. This was not your fault! Had you not followed their link to upgrade your data you would not be experiencing this issue. Just my two cents

So you want the new Ulimited plan and want to keep a feature that is not made to work with it? How does that work? Sometimes they have new plans that old features don't work on. Sounds like this is the case here.

There are apps that allow you to make free international phone calls. Facebook Messenger has that feature. If you're using iPhones then you can Facetime and only use audio. Why pay for something that can be done for free with lots of reliable apps that are available?

0 Likes
RAMALB6

Oh wow so it happened to you as well! I did call customer service the day after I upgraded my plan from small to medium and they confirmed that my international plan was still in place. Apparently not!! And not only did they inactivate it the day I upgraded, but no they removed it for the entire month, refunded me my $20 for the plan, and charged $1.99 per the 1265 minutes I have used that month (should have been $20 for the 1000 minutes and $26.5 for the additional 265 minutes at the rate of $0.10 a minute).

How are they trying to fix your issue? why is it taking so long? Someone finally had some common sense and submitted a request to the billing department to review my case. Previously they offered to "work with me on a payment plan" or "take $1000 off". So insane. Let a computer error dictate what your intelligence can't get.

RAMALB6

you could have asked them to reinstate the international plan especially if their new plan doesn't have your country if choice on their free unlimited list. I had them do that back in Feb when I accidentally removed my plan and they put t back on, but I didn't realize that it will go away if I made any changes to my data plan. I asked to have it reinstated this time too so we'll see if they do anything about that and the charges.

0 Likes