Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Verizon signal not what it used to be.
LTFam

When my wife and I started with Verizon 20 years ago the signal was great, even in areas where other carriers did poorly. Over the past year, however, the signal has continued to degrade and now we routinely have only 1 bar  on our phones. What has happened to Verizon? Considering changing providers if it doesn't improve soon.

Re: Verizon signal not what it used to be.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We understand how important it is to have a signal you can rely on. Since the pandemic started over a year ago, more people were staying at home and some working from home, relying on their wireless services more than ever. When network congestion occurs, it may impact your signal. Multiple factors can also impact your signal that are outside of Verizon's control, like

• Interference
  • In-building issues
  • Foliage
  • Construction
  • Population changes

Your loyalty matters to us and we want to make sure that the network is performing in your location as expected. Please meet us in a Private Note, so we can gather additional details to investigate your service experience. 

LTFam

I understand all the reasons why signal strength can change, but the bottom line is that our signal is terrible and Verizon is not meeting our needs. As businesses have reopened and people are returning to work, our signal has not improved, so I discount that explanation. Regarding population changes, Verizon should be adding infrastructure to meet the demand and appears to be falling short. Paying over $200 per month for lousy service is unacceptable. My wife needs a new phone soon and I think its time to look elsewhere and see what others carriers have to offer. I hate to leave Verizon, but I feel like I'm paying a premium for far less than premium service.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

You're right, businesses have reopened and people have returned to work. At the same time, more people than ever are still working & e-learning from home.  We continuously invest in our network each & every year and you should not be dealing with terrible signal. With that said, we want you to experience the best when it comes to coverage and support so let's figure out what we need to do to resolve your service issue.

Where are you currently located (intersection, zip code)? Which services do you have trouble using (calls, texts, data)? Do you know of others?

amy48884

I have had the same issue, and so has my family. I hear the same logic every time someone complains. It has to do with weather, foliage , population, buildings etc… I don’t believe that for a minute. I have been with Verizon for about 15 years as well, and continue to pay a premium price for a sub standard product. I keep hearing that 5G is not the issue but I question that. I have went from a great signal to a horrible signal over the past year, but my bill doesn’t change. I pay on the average $400 a month for the phones and service we have and it doesn’t go down when the quality does. So you do the math Verizon…… if I have paid $400 a month that is $4800 a year x 15 years that is roughly $72,000. For dropped calls and no signal. I think it’s time to shop around and get a better product for my $4800 a year investment. If you want to email me and figure out how to improve my service I would welcome that, the last person I spoke to advised me to go buy a signal expander from Verizon at about $150. I hung up on him. Shouldn’t Verizon provide those to keep their customers happy. Or is it truly all about the profits….. Email me at [email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service] 

R Miller 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

amy48884, please know that we truly value you as such a loyal customer of over 15-years, and we never want you to consider leaving us! I appreciate your honesty, and I completely understand needing the great service you pay for, at all times. I'm sorry the service has decreased so much over the last year. I would honestly be just as upset and frustrated. 

A Network Extender is a great solution for indoor service; however, so is WiFi and WiFi Calling. Either way, you would still need home based internet for the Network Extender to work. Are the service issues only inside your home? How far do you have to travel, for your service to improve? How many lines do you have? Do they all experience the same service issues? Please elaborate to better assist you. 

VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
tdgoslin

I also am having this same issue and it has gotten worse over the past two months.  It used to be that I could use my phone anywhere in my home.  Then it only worked at the back of the house.  Then it only worked in the yard.  Now I practially have no service anywhere on my property.  I've been a Verizon customer for close to 20 years.  I'm not sure what else to do other than find another provider.  Any suggestions?  

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

tdgoslin, As a consumer, I know how vital it is for you to be able to use your service inside your home.
 Many factors outside of Verizon’s control can contribute to indoor performance, even in cases where you may have had service in the past.
Common causes of signal related change may include:
•    Interference
•    In-building issues
•    Foliage
•    Construction
•    Population changes
•    Cell site changes (e.g., tower relocation, antenna alignment, power adjustment, etc.)

For customers that experience service issues, the 4G LTE network extender is available. A 4G LTE Network Extender requires a high-speed home internet and will boost up your signal up to 5,000 square feet. Check out the Network extender FAQs here. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/4g-lte-network-extender-faqs/

JacobG_VZW

0 Likes
chillfin

As a Verizon cell user on an Apple iPhone for many years, I never got great coverage, but lately I am getting that my battery is getting consumed by "no Cell Coverage" and "Low signal". After changing from 5G to LTE, a hard reboot, and even choosing low battery mode, I still get rapid battery drop. So far, the "best" advice is to use airplane mode which shuts off wifi and makes my device into a answering machine with only local content. Ugh! Any ideas?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

chillfin, 

We know how important it is to make sure that you can enjoy your Verizon service, and we want to help improve your network experience. We just need a little more information, so we can better understand how to help. When did you begin having trouble? What is the make & model of your iPhone? 

Thank you, 

MichelleH_VZW 

0 Likes