Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Verizon unlimited very slow
SHARSHAR1016

Hi,

Have a lot of people experienced extreme slowness with the Verizon gounlimted.  We were excited to switch to Verizon and basically had no internet connection our first week.  Did lots of troubleshooting but no one on the phone understood slowness.  Went to the store and they were extremely rude.  We were told the service basically not working for data is to be expected.  It is designed for you to have the more expensive beyond unlimited.  They guaranteed we would see immediate improvement if we paid more money.  Unfortunately they were right.  We were not having a hardware issue or location issue. The cheaper plan is designed to be bad.  It says DVD quality but that is a blatant false statement.  We were told it is prioritized in any busy area behind all other traffic.  Basically it is so slow that often you cannot load a website.   This is what I readd online, "

• Unlimited 4G LTE data, but you could experience reduced speeds if the network is congested at all times. Not after 10GB or 15GB or 20GB or 22GB of full-speed data usage. If the network is congested where you are, you might get slowed down — even at the very beginning of your billing cycle."  "The case against Verizon is simple: crowd-sourced speedtest data from Opensignal and Ookla, the company behind Speedtest.net, shows a perceptible drop in Verizon’s average speed for the first half of 2017, after it introduced unlimited data. The extent of that drop varies depending on which dataset you’re looking at: according to Opensignal, the drop is about 2Mbps, or around 13%."

We did ask about switching out of our Verizon contract but were told if we did, we have lost our trade-in phones  and have to pay restocking fees.  Basically we are trapped with the most expensive service in the country and it is not as fast as our old plan.  I guess I am really disappointed in how they explain the plans and how poor the service is for it.  I have a Verizon business account which is pretty good so I expected more.  I guess we are stuck now for 2 years and it seems we need to hope that we dont have to call Verizon on the phone for help.

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon unlimited very slow
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

If the Go Unlimited Plan isn't working for you then switch your plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jmccrear

This is absolutely bait and switch. I changed over to an unlimited data plan with the promise from Verizon that after I’ve used 15 GB of data, my speed would change from 4G to 3G and the difference in speed would be “hardly noticeable”. Approximately a month later, I began a new cycle and once I used over 15 GB of data, and attempted to use my phone as a hotspot, my internet speed was so slow, it was as if I had dial up. That’s when I realized Verizon changed their service to provide hotspot speeds of 600 kbps after customers use 15 GB of data. I called a rep about the slow speed, and first she told me that “phones aren’t intended to be used as hotspots for internet”. (The Verizon salesperson who sold me the phone recommended this model because it makes a great hotspot and I can avoid paying for alternative high speed internet to use for my laptop.)  The phone rep also told me that  600 kbps is the same speed as 3G. I found out that’s a complete lie once I spoke with a Verizon technician today. He said at 600 kbps, using a hotspot for internet is so slow it’s almost useless. He also informed me that once customers use 22 GB of data, the speed for both phone and hotspot changes to “deprioritized mode”, slowing down even more significantly, and fluctuating based on how many customers are online. I chose my phone service provider based on the service and speeds in the unlimited data plan agreement and information from Verizon staff. Verizon has no right to provide me with slower, unreliable speed that differs from what I was promised. I live in a rural area where I have no other option for high speed internet except using my phone as a hotspot. I’m sure Verizon’s reps will try to sell me a jet pack and further increase my bill. I bought my phone and chose my plan to avoid getting a jet pack.

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

The 600 kbps is in the 3G speed range.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Mad711

I am in 6th day of my billing cycle.  I have used .7 GB.  The last 2 days I cannot get 4g in area of my work place.

Unlimited is therefore .7 GB every 5 days.  .14 GB per day in the 9 hrs I am at work.  I can't even read Google news feed at lunch. ( Data rate is 4.32 10 minus sixth GB / sec)

Verizon says I have no premium minutes in my plan.  So others have priority.  No one talked about premium minutes in my unlimited plan when selling the plan.

I can use my wifi at home.  So in essence I am paying for nothing.  The data rate is unusable near my work place.

0 Likes