Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warning to all Verizon customers: Custom Experience and Custom Experience Plus
Sh4
Novice

All Verizon customers should be warned that they have been covertly enrolled in the Verizon Custom Experience program, which is the successor to Verizon Selects.  Verizon Selects was an outrageous overreach by Verizon that tracked customer browsing history, call history, text history, and location.  Customers were enrolled into Verizon Selects without consent and then, for those that attempted to unenroll, were told that it's impossible.  That said, there were various privacy settings that could be used to limit the overreach of Verizon Selects.  However, Verizon Selects has now morphed into Custom Experience and all users have been opted in covertly without notice.  All privacy protections have been removed and customers are now wide open, yet again, to Verizon's watchful eye.  It is impossible to fully unenroll, as it was with Verizon Selects.  There is a "Withdraw Enrollment" button on the My Verizon app but it's always disabled.  However, you can turn it off with the app.  You cannot turn it off using the website because the privacy controls do not work at all.  Errors are thown in the background and no changes are saved.  So, if you wish to protect your privacy from this outrageous abuse of customer privacy, you must enable My Verizon, which is (yet another) back door that Verizon leverages to violate customer privacy.  So enable the app, launch it, press the gear button, and select privacy controls.  From there you can (supposedly) disable it for each line on your account.  It's important to note that this privacy preference is configured PER LINE, so be sure to manually disable Custom Experience for each line one-by-one. 

I don't think that the ludicrous "Custom Experience Plus" can be enabled if Custom Experience is disabled, but check that too just to make sure.  After doing all of that, disable the My Verizon app again (you can't uninstall it without rooting your phone on Android, and I have no idea on iPhone -- YET ANOTHER malicious, deliberate violation of customer privacy and autonomy by Verizon).

If you're curious about how egregious the privacy violations are as pertains to Custom Experience, here is just some of it from the FAQ:

=================================
We keep information about the websites you visit for no more than 6 months. We keep location and CPNI information we use for these programs for approximately one year. We regularly refresh the interest categories we develop as part of the Custom Experience programs (e.g., "coffee lover" or "sports enthusiast") and keep them as long as you are participating in the programs or until you reset your line.

Custom Experience Plus does use call detail records including the phone numbers you call and those that call you, and the times and durations of the calls.

...we use location information from our network. We will continue to use this type of location information regardless of your device location services setting. (i.e., turning off your Location Services does not prevent Verizon Wireless from surveilling your location day and night)

=================================

It's important to know that, while the FAQ says, "Consumer and small business customers with smartphone lines are included in the Custom Experience program, except for lines with devices or plans meant for children and lines associated with Maine customers." -- this is a total lie.  We gave a phone to our young daughter for Christmas.  It is a "Smart Family" line, which is specifically for children.  Then I logged in to find that, indeed, the new line was enrolled in Custom Experience despite being a child line only.  So I had to go through this whole rigamaroo just to protect my 10-year-old daughter from being spied on by Verizon.  Reprehensible.  It just don't even have words for how outrageous this is.  You pay them, what amounts to, a car payment each month.  But that's not enough, they then try to monetize your very life with no regard for the potential negative impact to you OR YOUR CHILDREN!

As a final note, the FAQ says, "Verizon Selects participants will automatically be included in the renamed program."  Because all Verizon customers were covertly enrolled in Verizon Selects without consent or any way to opt out, this means you.  And to make the whole thing truly abhorrent, you are enrolled in Custom Experience even if you locked down Verizon Selects to the maximum extent possible.  So, essentially, what they have done is to quietly discard all of your former privacy preferences and completely opened you back up to surveillance, EVEN YOUR BROWSING HISTORY!  Most likely, this was the true motive.  Too many customers had made every effort to protect themselves and Verizon couldn't have that, so they implemented this ridiculous workaround and quietly exposed everybody yet again (IMHO).

Bottom line: block all lines.  They know every website that you've visited on your phone for the past month or more.  Hope that doesn't reveal anything about you that you'd rather keep private.  Or, even worse, your minor children.

I'm totally a free enterprise capitalist but this is one of those situations where MUCH more government regulation is warranted.  The FTC needs to get involved.

0 Likes
Re: Warning to all Verizon customers: Custom Experience and Custom Experience Plus
Sh4
Novice
0 Likes
Re: Warning to all Verizon customers: Custom Experience and Custom Experience Plus
Ann154
Expert
Expert

I signed into my account a week ago and removed the lines on my account from the Custom Experience program. I used the website and the removal steps was seamless. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Sh4
Novice

Apparently, some customers received notices like this via e-mail.  I received no such notice.  Nothing was said whatsoever.  Verizon simply discarded my privacy preferences and enrolled me with no notice whatsoever.
Verizon.png

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

I received the email. I think I actually heard about the new program before I received the email. Unfortunately I couldn't sign into my account at that time to go through the settings. 

Did you check the spam folder? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Sh4
Novice
0 Likes