Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Way to BOGO new line but transfer an existing line’s number (cancel existing line)?
ccg5f

I’m a very long-time VW client, but seeing so many great options elsewhere, am finally shopping around for my family’s service (5 lines). If I leave VW, we can keep all of our phone numbers, and get great deals on both devices and service plans. 

But, I’m partial to Verizon due to slightly better service strength in certain locations in my city, so I’m eyeing a current Verizon “BOGO” (which is a $700 credit toward the cost of a second phone, not actually a BOGO). The promo requires adding a new line of service, which would mean I would open a new line of service, (and then cancelling one of my existing lines). I’m hoping to somehow keep my long-time phone number from the line I would have to cancel and have it assigned to the new line of service.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? If I have to pay to keep an extra line open for a month I can do that. Or maybe transfer my number out to a different provider and then back in for the new line at VW? Can you have a different number assigned to the new service line after the line is newly opened (with its own new number)—so port it back from a different provider and use it on the new line rather than number assigned to the new line?

I would love to stay with Verizon without all of the hoop jumping, but I get that they are just looking to get new business. Unfortunately, this will probably cost them quite a bit of business too. 

Anyone have ideas about how I might do this, or whether or not it’s even possible?

Re: Way to BOGO new line but transfer an existing line’s number (cancel existing line)?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello, the new line of service would not be able to take up the number on the line that you intend to cancel. I apologize for the inconvenience. Please submit further inquiries here.

0 Likes
Re: Way to BOGO new line but transfer an existing line’s number (cancel existing line)?
Ann154
Expert
Expert

It will require jumping through hoops. 

Any number ported out to another carrier and ported back to Verizon Wireless within 90 days is considered to be a reactivation of the previous line of service. With the BOGO promotions if you make any changes to the new line of service within 6 months of its creation to that line including porting in a number to replace the "temporary" number you are likely to void any promotional credits associated with that line of service. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

FYI what you are asking has been asked a number of times before. It would be a good idea if you read those past discussions. The policy hasn't changed since then. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Lesleyliu

I don’t think you are right. 

in the past I have added two new lines to get a bogo, cancelled two existing lines and had the new lines port over the old line phone numbers replacing the new phone numbers. I did this 2018, and will do it again this month now that my xs and Xr are paid off. 

jb5

How long did you wait before cancelling the old existing lines?

0 Likes
BenStine

Did it work??

0 Likes