Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
What do the data calculation percentages in My Verizon mean?
mpowell19

I need to ask, preferably by e-mail to include detail, a question about the percentages of data usage under "device details" in the suddenly-new My Verizon app, because the percentages it is showing me make no sense when I consider how I have used my device

"Chat" says 45%.  What does Verizon consider "chat?"  Phone calls?  Is that "chat" now?

"Web" says 29%.  What apps are being considered "web?"  Since I've had this phone I have spent about 2 minutes using a browser on it, and maybe 45 seconds of that was using cellular instead of WiFi at home.

"Downloads" says 13%.  I suppose that must be the 2 or 3 apps I have added.  Is that correct?

"Social apps."  3%.  I'm not using FB on my phone, and I don't think I've touched it, or any of the other social media apps, so what is Verizon defining (on my phone) as a social app?

"Messages," meanwhile, says 2%.  That's shocking, because I use the phone as a phone and for text messages, which uses the "messages" application...it's gotta be more than 2%.

In short, this is making very little sense in terms of how I actually use the device.  What's the breakdown within the breakdown?

This isn't very important...but I am curious.  Thank you to whomever at Verizon sees this.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What do the data calculation percentages in My Verizon mean?
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Have you looked at the data usage on the phone itself to see what apps are using the data?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mpowell19

I have not, because I am not finding a central place to do that. If I have to go app by app by app somehow to look, that's not worth the time, I'm afraid...nor does it tell me how Verizon defines the categories.  And, quite frankly, randomly (from with Settings) choosing Messages, for example, there is no apparent link to see how much data it uses. Therefore I cannot find the answer to my original question at least about how Verizon is defining the "Messages" app.  So I still have no idea what app is using what, except for those that happen to be listed under the "Cellular" settings function...where Messages, for example, is not listed.

Ann154
Expert
Expert

For Android devices, it is Settings > Data Usage. The iOS devices have a similar setting.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Losko1256

Did anyone get an answer to this posters question?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Losko1256, we totally understand wanting to get clarification on what the data categories mean when viewing usage. We are here to help.

When viewing your data usage, you can simply hover over the small "?" marks to be given more information on what each category includes https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/data-utilization-faqs/#usage-info

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.
0 Likes