Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
What happened to free upgrades?
kghaun89

I am almost to the point of needing to upgrade.  Once upon a time you could get a device for free just extend your contract. Your current contract, the one you are likely satisfied with which is why you have not switched your contract thus far.   Now it seems the only way to get a good deal on a phone is with a new line. This in turn forces you into a new plan. I tried their new plans at their suggestion.  The service was horrible in the least, and swiftly demanded they reinstate my old service.   Is there anyway to get a good deal on a phone, and just maintain your current service?   

Re: What happened to free upgrades?
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

First of all, the "free" phones were not free, the cost of the phone was built into your bill for the length of your contract. Verizon has now removed that cost from your bill, so you can simply add that cost back in by purchasing a phone on a monthly payment plan. This is no different than what was happening when you got that "free" phone except now the actual cost is just itemized on your monthly bill. It doesn't actually cost you anything more than it did when you got the device for "free".

kghaun89

So are the phones suddenly free now then?  Now there is the offer to get a free phone with a new line. The new line price is the same wether I am buying a phone or I get a free one.  Are you implying they no longer are rolling in the cost of an upgraded phone to the plan, and can still get rid of phones for free? 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

@kghaun89 wrote:

So are the phones suddenly free now then?  Now there is the offer to get a free phone with a new line. The new line price is the same wether I am buying a phone or I get a free one. Are you implying they no longer are rolling in the cost of an upgraded phone to the plan, and can still get rid of phones for free?  

All carriers do this to attract new customers who will then be forced to have service with Verizon for 2 yrs in order to get that "free" phone, or have existing customers add a new line and have the new line active for at least 2 years. They are giving away the phone with strict requirements in exchange for a new line of service and all the NEW revenue for that line which Verizon will get over the next 2 years. In many cases, people who start off with this promotion do not get the phone for "free" because they may not keep the phone active for the full 2 years. With this "free" phone promotion, the "free" part comes in monthly installments over 2 years which end if the line is cancelled however the customer must continue paying for the phone without the matching credit if the line has been cancelled.

0 Likes
kghaun89

I understand your reasoning to a point. However, how is allowing this "New line" a new stream of revenue when you consider most will add the new line discontinue their old line and even use their old number on the new line?  This is not new revenue. It is continued revenue that more or less they would be getting anyway because one already had service.  

So in essence one can get a new phone for extending their contract.  The only catch is that you have to buy into the newer terms. Which was the source of my complaint. I cannot get a phone for the promotional price of 0.00, retain my plan, and only extend my commitment for 2 years.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I am a consumer myself and I am always looking for a great deal too Kghaun89. You have reached the right person to help you.

We do have offers for our new and existing customers. You can take advantage of all our deals but certain restrictions apply and you have to decide if it is best for you and your family. This is the same for all cellular companies. We have offered great promotions in the past for our current customers. For example, if you upgrade to the Note 9 you received $400.00 off the device with no trade-in required. These deals are always changing. www.vzw.com/deals I can take a look to see what offers you have on your account. I have sent you a private note. 

AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
llr1

These upgrades for customers that Verizon speaks is an upgrade of the phone but only IF YOU PAY FOR THE PHONE, the promos for discounts related to the phone are only for NEW CUSTOMERS,  even the $400 off for the NOTE 9 discuessed by Amber is no where near the discount a NEW CUSTOMER gets.

I speak from a recent experience, I called Verizon yesterday to 'upgrade'  a line on my account.  Now last year I upgraded two phones on the account and brought this 'new customer only upgrade issue' up with the rep and was told they could do a $100 credit for all the phones on my line if I upgrade, not quite as good as a 'new customer' discount but I felt fine I been wigth Verizon since back when the were SBC and Ameritech, almost 30 yrs. so I agreed.  I was told scine I only upgraded two of four phones that I could call back when ready to upgrade the others and would be given a $100 credit for those lines as well.  Well I did yesterday and was told too bad, that was last year you should have done all the phones then and that they are not going to honor what they said they would do.  Basically, told me all carriers are only looking to new customers now and that I couldn't be helped.

Today, I went to the Verizon store to pay my final bill and find out what I need to 'pay off' the current phones so when service date ends next week I will know what I owe.  Turns out one of the phones that was bought on a payment plan will cost twice the money to payout early . (and we were all told there are no more contracts) putting the phone on a seperate plan is a sneakiy way to not call it a contract.

Anyway, now debating wether it makes sense to move 3 of the 4 lines leaving the remaining line with Verizon (which will drop considerably in cost). Then the three lines transfered will apparently have all brand new phones and a phone plan giving me 50% more data that won't slow down, for 20% less money.

The savings by switching carriers is enticing, though I really don't need 3 new phones, (all I wanted was the $100 credit promised by Verizon toward the just one remaining phone). But I must say the difference in treatment in customer service between Verizon and  being a potential 'New" customer with their competitors is amazing.  Makes me think why stay with any company more then 2 years as your worth dimishes over time.

glitchedpixel

@kghaun89 wrote:

I am almost to the point of needing to upgrade.  Once upon a time you could get a device for free just extend your contract. Your current contract, the one you are likely satisfied with which is why you have not switched your contract thus far.   Now it seems the only way to get a good deal on a phone is with a new line. This in turn forces you into a new plan. I tried their new plans at their suggestion.  The service was horrible in the least, and swiftly demanded they reinstate my old service.   Is there anyway to get a good deal on a phone, and just maintain your current service?   

Mobile browsers can actually do stuff now and phones are easily in the thousand range for high end models. No company is going to give away that expensive of equipment without something in return.

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

@kghaun89 wrote:

I understand your reasoning to a point. However, how is allowing this "New line" a new stream of revenue when you consider most will add the new line discontinue their old line and even use their old number on the new line?  This is not new revenue. It is continued revenue that more or less they would be getting anyway because one already had service.  

So in essence one can get a new phone for extending their contract.  The only catch is that you have to buy into the newer terms. Which was the source of my complaint. I cannot get a phone for the promotional price of 0.00, retain my plan, and only extend my commitment for 2 years.  

Most people don't want to give up a number they had for years.  Most of us have a lot tied to our numbers.   So not many will cancel an old number and add a new one to get a "free" phone.  Some will switch carriers to get a Bogo deal.  That will mean in 24 to 36 months when they want to upgrade, they are in the same spot again.  And what if the other carrier doesn't work well?  Free phone isn't worth much if you can't use it as intended.    What about your plan?  Current deals require unlimited data on all carriers.
 The point is these deals are to add new business, steal customers from other carriers, and make a profit off us. They are not to save us money.

llr1

Good point mama23dogs,

It is unfortunate but yes, every 24-36 months consumers will be in a spot to have to transfer their line to other carriers.  And I would say people need to do that.  The truth is there really is no longer a difference in service especially between Verizon and Sprint as far as coverage and reliability (different regional areas may have slight advantages from one carrier to another).  Current customers are of no value to these carriers anymore, just look in this community to see how many current Verizon customers some as myself for 20-30 years, are basically told 'if your not new you don't qualify'.

Thank goodness transfering carriers is very easy, is done in less then 30 minutes, allows you to keep all your lines and because now you are considered 'new' you recieve an updated phone, actuall respect and courtesy and in most instances get a decent monthly savings for the same or better monthly plan.  Best of all by bi-annually switching carriers you are always considered a 'new' customer and thus will always have value and get the best treatment.  Of course this treatment will last only while there are more new customers coming in then old customers leaving.  Once more old customers actually start leaving the corporate trend will reverse and start putting actual value on retention not just feeding lip service like you can read all over these forums.