Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Re: What is "Dictionary Update Information" download?
dreamer2313

More of a reply to an arlier post from an HTC One M8 owner, but may work for others.  Uninstall the Google keyboard.  I wasn't even using it, but immediately after uninstalling,  the download attempts stopped.  Hopefully it will stay gone.

0 Likes
nascarfan43

I have the Casio Commando LG4TE smartphone. I also am stuck with the stupid dictionary downloading. It went away for a few days but it is back now downloading Portugese dictionary and nothing makes it stop! Somebody from Verizon needs to get on this or do I need to switch to Sprint?

Please advise ASAP!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We want you to enjoy your device, butchcoins! Help has arrived. What make and model phone do you have? When did this download start?

LynnD_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Hawkeye711

Here's a possible fix.  I have a Droid Turbo.  I did this and so far the Dictionary Update hasn't returned.  I disabled the Google keyboard.  I then went into Settings, Language and Input, and looked at the settings for Google Voice Typing.  For some reason Languages showed both English and Portugues as defaults.  I tapped Languages and saw that Portugues was indeed checked so I unchecked.  The download notification was still in the notification bar so I tapped and help it down which brought up App Info for Download Manager (you can also get to this through Apps in Settings).  I cleared the cache and data.  I did Force Stop (you have to wait until it goes gray to know it actually stopped.  The notification went away.  I rebooted then I enabled Google Keyboard.  So far so good.

BiffsBiz

Yeah.  Stopping the Download Manager will stop the download temporarily, but as soon as you need to download something again & turn it back on, the "Dictionary Update Information" download will again show up.

Not a fix.

0 Likes
Hawkeye711

Yeah, you'd be right if you didn't first correct the issue that was making Download Manager open.  If you read the steps, I said that you need to uncheck the Portugues language (or possibly any second language) in Google Voice Typing.  After you do that your device won't need to update the dictionary for that language.  When you Force Stop Download Manager it will clear it out.  You can then Enable Download Manager because the problem dictionary will no longer be trying to update.  This is what I did and the problem is fixed for me.

0 Likes
MurrayBowles

I hate this. I am paying $$$$$ to Verizon and what do I get? A stupid warning that won't swipe away and even comes back after I force-stop the imbecile "Download Manager". Why does Verizon even HAVE a download manager? It's not like they have anything worth downloading. I KNOW I'm not on wifi (Verizon should be HAPPY I'm not on wifi!) So shut up already!

0 Likes
KKSAZ

I've had the same problem. I chatted with tech support and was told to do a factory reboot of my phone. No way I'm going through that, it'll take hours to get my phone back and I've only had the thing 3 weeks.

Can Verizon PLEASE get a patch sent out for this?

Very poor service on this issue.

0 Likes
DreamKeeper1963
0 Likes
StormyToo

Whoops...worked first time. A few days later it popped back up with two updates..  Refresh didn't work. I went into download manager and forced stop. Today I got another. When I tried refresh it changed to Portuguese dictionary update. I force stopped download manager and it went away but returned a few minutes later.  Tried refresh again, it switched to Brazil dictionary update.  Force closed download manager and just waiting for it to come back again.

Can somebody at Verizon try to figure this out and fix it?  At some point it is going to catch a WiFi connection and I don't want some virus spreading through my phone with this download.

0 Likes